Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Question about HDR shots

I'm a new K-1 owner and want to prepare for the upcoming August 21st solar eclipse. One thing I would like to do is some HDR shots at totality. My understanding is that when HDR is dialed in (any one of the variations), three shots are taken and those original three will be available in the DNG file (without modification from the originals although a JPEG showing the HDR effect will be processed).

I'm also new to RAWTherapee which I understand can pull those three original bracketed shots out of the resulting DNG. Can someone explain what needs to be done in RAWTherapee after the DNG file is opened to see and use the three shots (and resave them individually)?

Ordinarily, I would just use bracketing but that takes three separate shots (not in the same file) and having the three shots containerized seems a better way to go. Also, using the K-1's ability to show an HDR after it's shot, allows some idea of what it might look like when processed.

Lastly, I know most of you use Photoshop or Lightroom for HDR work, but can someone suggest a good freeware HDR program if such exists (or something low cost that works well)?

I'd like to start experimenting now to practice before the eclipse gets here and develop a good technique by that time.

Many thanks.

Last edited by Bob 256; 06-23-2017 at 04:08 PM.
06-23-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use HDR Efex Pro 2, which is part of the Nik Collection - and the entire suite of applications is free, thanks to Google...
06-23-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will be shooting the eclipse, and I plan to bracket like crazy for totality. I want all my files available individually for processing later. For a really great HDR of the corona, I think you will want to combine many more than 3 shots!

PS we will be near Rexburg for the eclipse - where are you located? pm me if you wish - maybe we can get together.
06-23-2017, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I have yet to use an HDR processing program but found the most common recommendation is for Photomatix Pro on various forums and plan to try that one in the future.

I have tried the K-1 in camera HDR feature fairly extensively and have found it surprisingly effective. There are 3 EV settings and 5 other settings, Auto, HDR 1, 2, & 3, and AV for a total of 15 settings! I've found auto and HDR 3 to usually, but not always, give similar results, and AV the most potent or extreme result, or whatever the best term is, sometimes looking over cooked to my eye. This is all with landscapes and there is considerable variation in what's produced, depending on lighting, etc.

Regarding settings for the eclipse I don't have a clue but will have to learn about that as I live in Idaho in the projected umbra.

Hope this is of some help. I would suggest doing a photo session devoted to the K-1's HDR and experiment with all the settings using a high contrast scene. I'm sure the results won't compare with those of a good HDR editing program but you may find them surprising and usable.

06-23-2017, 08:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
...For a really great HDR of the corona, I think you will want to combine many more than 3 shots!...
3 shots might just do it. The K-1 offers 0/-5/+5 bracketing. Fred Espenak, one of the experts, says "I typically shoot at ISO 200, f/9 and will use shutter speeds ranging from 1/1000 down to 1 or more seconds." How to Photograph a Solar Eclipse.

With shutter speed at 1/30, -5 gives 1/1000, +5 gives 1 second, just fitting in that recommended range. Adjust the 1/30 time if you use a different ISO or aperture. I might use ISO 100 for cleaner data, with 1/15, 1/500, and 2 second exposures.

5 stops between frames feels unproven but I think will be okay. The K-1 has excellent dynamic range. Using a smaller 2 stop shift and 5 shots only yields extreme ends of +-4 rather than +-5, which would force adjustments in the middle of totality. I prefer to have the camera work mostly unattended so I can watch the eclipse more.
06-24-2017, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good feedback all. I guess one of my reasons for using the K-1's HDR feature is that it's more automated and leaves me to tend other cameras I'll be using and, as DeadJohn menioned, leave me some time during that short 2 minutes or so to actually look at the totality event. Having to shoot, adjust, shoot, adjust, etc., takes a little too much time, I worry. Even with HDR, I would probably do multiple shots with different ranges. I'm counting on the K-1's sensor's dynamic range to help with the job. I also considered setting up some bracketing on the K-1's custom functions so they could be dialed in quickly.

My primary reason for the original post was to solicit info on the HDR mode - does it actually capture three full range images in a single DNG file, and to solicit a good PP program for doing the HDR. I looked into HDR Dfex Pro but it appears to work in conjuction with Photoshop or Lightroom - neither of which I have at present (except in old, old versions), but when I was looking, came across Photomatix Pro which looks suitable. Will give that a spin.
Lot's of experimenting to do in the next two months. I plan to set up a wide brightness range test target to see what works best.

Any other ideas - send them this way. Thanks.

Last edited by Bob 256; 06-24-2017 at 08:44 PM.
06-24-2017, 09:31 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
I have yet to use an HDR processing program but found the most common recommendation is for Photomatix Pro on various forums and plan to try that one in the future.
I have used Photomatix and found it to be very user friendly. If you'd like to try/test it, there's a free fully functional download available (it leaves a watermark across the image) to process some sample shots.

Perhaps the greatest feature I've found with this software is the anti-ghosting option. This feature allows you to create an HDR image even if the subject is moving (or you're shooting hand-held). Additionally, it will process your images directly from the RAW files and produce a jpeg (without altering the original images).

Currently, I set the camera for five shots in aperture priority with the widest possible EV between the shots.

HDR Photography Software - Photo Editing Programs & Plugins - Photomatix.

Good luck

07-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks AlwaysAl,
I purchased Photomatix and found several videos on YouTube about using it including one from B&H photo. It looks simple to use and in the video, provided good results. I have yet to try it with any HDR material. There are some good suggestions in the video from B&H on how to determine the number of shots needed and spot metering in the K-1 makes that determination easy. The K-1's bracketing is great also and allows 3 or 5 shots with a set EV spacing so it's hard to ask for anymore help in getting HDR material with the K-1.
My only reservation on Photomatix is it's a little light on features for the price (hope that will be addressed in future versions), but I qualified for their educational discount so got it at a good price.
Appreciate your recommendation.