Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2017, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #1
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thom Hogan compliments the K-1: Inconceivable

Thom Hogan it would be fair to say is a Nikon Guy.

I used to shoot Nikon before moving across to Pentax, and so still follow his commentary.

Thom generally does not like Pentax DSLR's and can be quite scathing about them and Pentax as a brand, but then he is a Nikon Guy .

Thom has just published an article on his web site called 'Stop Complaining'

This article is to DSLR users about just how good modern high end DSLRs are. In the article Thom even manages to compliment the Pentax K-1, which is almost inconceivable.

On that basis alone, the article is worth the read

Last edited by NZ_Ross; 06-26-2017 at 01:06 PM.
06-26-2017, 03:34 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

I don't read Thom Hogan's website but he does seem to like the K1 in that article.

I'm all for DSLR (and also mirrorless) users to stop complaining, especially when they have one of the several superb cameras on offer these days. Digital photography has never had it so good and 90% of complaints about cameras on the web are over-blown nonsense.

If anyone doesn't like their D810, K1 or 5D mark iv, then they should feel free to send it to me.
06-26-2017, 06:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

In before Inigo Montoya.

Meanwhile, I'll stop complaining in 5-10 years when the prices have dropped to the point where I can justify buying one of the excellent cameras he mentions. :P
06-26-2017, 06:58 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I don't read Thom Hogan's website but he does seem to like the K1 in that article.

I'm all for DSLR (and also mirrorless) users to stop complaining, especially when they have one of the several superb cameras on offer these days. Digital photography has never had it so good and 90% of complaints about cameras on the web are over-blown nonsense.

If anyone doesn't like their D810, K1 or 5D mark iv, then they should feel free to send it to me.
I agree. The quality available across the board from all brands is excellent as is the degree of convenience with which that excellence is served up. Today's cameras, even consumer models, represent an all-time high in terms of performance, usability, and value. When I consider the most-common-subjects-of-rant (MCSR) on this and other sites, I simply roll my eyes. A short list of CSB (camera sucks because) complaints:
  • CSB maker won't warranty forever
  • CSB the AF is not psychic and lacks mind reading support
  • CSB it does not have the features I did not buy
  • CSB my photos lack punch
  • CSB I am careless
  • CSB it is not something else (usually a camcorder)
  • CSB it is does not excel in some metric
  • CSB it lacks a feature of "A" even though "A" lacks a feature of my camera
  • CSB it can't make my subject compelling
  • CSB support is lacking in my favorite software
  • CSB I bought dumb
At this juncture, I should probably make a short list of areas where I think cross-brand product improvement is indicated, but then it would end up reading like a rant.

Steve

06-26-2017, 08:36 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Steve, that's probably a good guess at the upcoming 11 thom articles.
06-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I donīt think too highly of some of Thom Hoganīs texts, but this is a very level-headed one.
06-26-2017, 04:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I agree. The quality available across the board from all brands is excellent as is the degree of convenience with which that excellence is served up. Today's cameras, even consumer models, represent an all-time high in terms of performance, usability, and value. When I consider the most-common-subjects-of-rant (MCSR) on this and other sites, I simply roll my eyes. A short list of CSB (camera sucks because) complaints:
  • CSB maker won't warranty forever
  • CSB the AF is not psychic and lacks mind reading support
  • CSB it does not have the features I did not buy
  • CSB my photos lack punch
  • CSB I am careless
  • CSB it is not something else (usually a camcorder)
  • CSB it is does not excel in some metric
  • CSB it lacks a feature of "A" even though "A" lacks a feature of my camera
  • CSB it can't make my subject compelling
  • CSB support is lacking in my favorite software
  • CSB I bought dumb
At this juncture, I should probably make a short list of areas where I think cross-brand product improvement is indicated, but then it would end up reading like a rant.

Steve
My CSB is that the K 1 so late in my life. It is probably to much for me to really use.

RONC
06-26-2017, 08:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Very good assessment of the K-1. I've had one for a few months now.

Happy with it, except for that 'click' and something that seem to move in the grip handle o on the body. Wish I knew what it was and if it will deteriorate into a bigger concern.

06-26-2017, 08:52 PM   #9
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
except for that 'click' and something that seem to move in the grip handle o on the body
There's a thread about that (can't find it).]It isn't serious, but IIRC Pentax will repair it.
06-26-2017, 09:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote

and maybe find a more appropriate hobby!
06-26-2017, 10:14 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There's a thread about that (can't find it).]It isn't serious, but IIRC Pentax will repair it.
Thanks Monochrome for the info.
07-10-2017, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Hello,
I agree with Tom Hogan when he concludes: "Simply put, if you aren't generating great photos from your DSLR and lenses, something is wrong. Very wrong. We've got exceptional products to use now, so make sure you know how to use them to best advantage."
As some people know about my DSLR practice, I do not mind not using Autofocus with my lenses, since I frame and then focus where I wish. I only work with manual lenses (all Leica-R lenses and one Mitakon) and I don't get bored with it. I know very well my gear and try to do my best with it. I have been treated of "fundamentalist" because of manually focusing. Actually, shooting in my way is my concern.
So, let me get to the point. Leica-M users do not use autofocus and they can provide beautiful pictures. The problem is that they must focus before framing. I prefer my way. The major Drawback is that DSLR OVF camera is heavier, much heavier. Nevertheless, the Leica-R lenses are so small compared with new stellars lenses (Sigma) that I prefer keeping my Leicas'. Focus ring is so smooth on that vintage lenses.
Pentax K-1 is my warranty/assurance to make sharp pictures with my old lenses, thanks to SR/IBIS mode, in a way no other DSLR camera can do, at a fairly price that no one else can reach!
Thank you M. Pentax...

Gisant de Sanch, roi de Majorque.
Iso1600, 1/15s, f:3.4. SR on, hand held...

Last edited by teiki arii; 07-10-2017 at 05:59 AM.
07-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Only one complaint about my K-1 so far - it won't take photos of invisible objects and I've tried every mode on the @#@@% thing!
07-12-2017, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Only one complaint about my K-1 so far - it won't take photos of invisible objects and I've tried every mode on the @#@@% thing!
Bob,
How do you know that the K 1 hasn't taken all of the invisible objects? You need to Invisible Correct your software, monitor, and printer. And have I got a deal for you. Introducing the Ricoh IC2017 which guarantee that you will be able to see things in your images you thought you'd never see. Remember that Mexico City UFO images?
This tool is powerful and at $29.95 + shipping and handling of $20.05 can be found only online at PFFF. The item will be delivered in plain wrapper (newspaper). Contents include DVD, special monitor cleaning cloth, and a bottle of Uncle Festus' eElixir which can either be mixed with your printer ink or consumed in one big swig.
Cash preferred but credit cards excepted for additional $5.

You'll be seeing all kinds of squirrelly things.

RONC