Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2017, 11:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K1 First Impressions

Firstly I love having the reliable feel of a Pentax back in my hands. Just got to retrain by mind after using Nikon for about 4 years. Hard to get use to all the buttons and controls been in all the RIGHT places!

Only been out for a couple of hours in bad weather so didn't get too many opportunities. I think I have everything setup correctly though, which was the main aim.

One thing I have noticed, having just put the images through Lightroom, is that compared with the D800 the Pentax seems to expose a lot more for the shadows and tends to blow out sky highlights, something that the D800 never did. Dark foregrounds were never an issue with all that information from 36MP to play with.

I am guessing I will have to change my settings, expose for the sky, or buy a CP filter.

But that's the only issue so far, looking forward to getting some more shots.

06-30-2017, 02:21 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

I have not experienced blown highlights with the K-1, which I mainly use with the D FA 24-70 and D FA 28-105 zoom lenses and the three amigos. My experience from the past with other bodies is that the accuracy of the exposure can be lens dependent, and for some lenses (like the FA* 28-70) it was advisable to dial in a -1/3EV or -1/2EV exposure adjustment.
06-30-2017, 05:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting, maybe it is the lens? (Irix 15mm). I must admit I was surprised to see it.
06-30-2017, 05:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
One thing I have noticed, having just put the images through Lightroom, is that compared with the D800 the Pentax seems to expose a lot more for the shadows and tends to blow out sky highlights, something that the D800 never did. Dark foregrounds were never an issue with all that information from 36MP to play with.
Are you shooting JPG? Also, of course, metering mode makes a difference here. Generally I try to expose for highlights like the sky and recover the shadows in post-process since the sensors are very sensitive. Lightroom can really do wonders with a RAW file. I'd look at how the D800 was set up vs. your new K-1.

06-30-2017, 07:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It could be lens dependent. I have found with some older primes I need as much as -1 but with the 28-105 dial back to 0.
06-30-2017, 12:19 PM   #6

Firstly I love having the reliable feel of a Pentax back in my hands. Just got to retrain by mind after using Nikon for about 4 years. Hard to get use to all the buttons and controls been in all the RIGHT places!

Only been out for a couple of hours in bad weather so didn't get too many opportunities. I think I have everything setup correctly though, which was the main aim.

I am guessing I will have to change my settings, expose for the sky, or buy a CP filter.

But that's the only issue so far, looking forward to getting some more shots.
Just underexpose a little. At 100iso k-1 is a beast in terms of dynamic range. I've found it too that it likes to loose highlights very quickly.
06-30-2017, 02:23 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For me its the opposite, as my K-1 wants to underexpose for most lenses (especially on back lit scenes). Its common for me to apply +1 to +2 compensation, and for some lenses (example FA35) I walk around with a starting compensation of +0.5. I find on post I still need to up exposure quite a bit.
All in all I don't mind it too much as I rarely blow a highlight and the K-1 I can pull back so much detail.

As others have pointed out, it does depend on the lens being used. I have also noticed differences between ISO 100 and ISO 200, where ISO 200 is bit more forgiving with highlights.

06-30-2017, 06:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have checked the AE metering and I had center weighted selected, so have now selected multi segment. And there was me thinking I had it all setup correctly! I will give that a go and report back.....
07-02-2017, 07:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Much better with the multi segment AE and I dialed back the exposure to -1.3, maybe a bit too dark so further adjustment will be required.

Having trouble getting use to MF as I have never used one before. What is the best way to set this up so that you get a focus confirmation beep?

Also is there a setting I have missed for the live view screen? Or is it just the worst screen resolution I have ever seen? It looks like everything has a white outline around it as though it's too sharp or something?
07-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

white outline around it as though it's too sharp or something?
Sounds like that is the focus peaking indicator. the White outlines the area(s) in focus, and the outline moves at wide apertures as you turn the focus ring.
07-02-2017, 10:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ahh thanks monochrome, that is probably it. Didn't think the live view could actually be that bad!
07-03-2017, 03:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

It might look weird but is very helpful when manually focusing.
07-03-2017, 07:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Will try it out.

Anyone had any success using a remote shutter app for Android? Tried a few but none have worked so far.
07-03-2017, 11:26 PM   #14
Pentaxian

First of all, does your phone have an ir-blaster port? If it doesn’t you are out of luck.
But you should be able to use the Pentax one through wifi.
07-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Will try it out.

Anyone had any success using a remote shutter app for Android? Tried a few but none have worked so far.
I've used the Android version of ImageSync with good results. It seems easier to connect to the camera than Canon's software was. I have yet to successfully download an image from teh camera to the phone however. But for controlling the camera it works fine.