Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2017, 03:14 PM - 3 Likes   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Also, don't forget you can sometimes negotiate with B&H. Perhaps see if they'd give a break on the bundle minus the grip or something if you don't want it.
... I took your suggestion and called B&H to see if I could get the body only without the other stuff. They though that I might be able to swap that out and swap in an L bracket and extended warranty. The body, grip, SD card and bag was a package deal directly from Pentax, so they couldn't even swap individual item - no joy. It was worth a try. It was a great suggestion. I just ordered it and then went out to run some errands. It's 114 out. So, it will be here sometime next week. The deed is done.

Now my wife wants to know when I am going to actually vacate the kitchen table.

07-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained. And what the heck, it's a nice bundle at that price.

As of now, I think you're ahead of the proverbial game. I'd suggest vacating the table ASAP. Laundry might otherwise be the least of your problems
07-12-2017, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
So, it will be here sometime next week.
Awaiting story of spousal murder with camera as weapon from Tumbleweed, Arizona. Good luck.
07-12-2017, 07:55 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

Now my wife wants to know when I am going to actually vacate the kitchen table.
My wife has been wondering that for about 8 years now. Tell her you'll make sure it gets cleaned up before the next time you have company for dinner.

I don't know how you are supposed to decide what lenses to take on an outing if they aren't all spread out all over the kitchen table? Is that even possible?

It's worse with a K-1. You need more lenses to cover the same FOV at equivalent focal lengths.

07-15-2017, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

If you have the K 28 3.5 shift lens : keep this irreplacable good performer on K-1.
07-16-2017, 08:21 PM   #36

Photos: Gallery
I just got back from my latest trip to Maine and the weather cooperated. Here one shot of the Milky Way rising along with a 100% crop of the Galactic Core. All I have done is some exposure correction and then reduced the size and saved as jpg so I could upload. Just default noise reduction. (I know the quality isn't great with the jpgs. I am new to the forum and don't have a Flicker account or anything for larger uploads.) This was shot on the Pentax K-1, Rokinon/Samyang 14mm/2.8 at f/3.5, ISO 800, 60 seconds with Astrotracer. You will notice in the upper right corner I get some star trails but points of light in the middle; I always get some trailing in the corners with the Samyang 14mm. I think some of this is just corner distortion in the lens. The trees are blurred due to the Astrotracer. This should give you some idea of the MW capability. I was actually getting good shots out at 80 seconds... at 120 seconds the stars in the middle started to elongate.
Attached Images

08-23-2017, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Well either save me or push me in to the abyss. I have been very satisfied with my K5/K5IIs (and still am) for everything other than the Milky Way (just a matter of physics). I do know that the only way to improve there is to spend money for a K1 and a 15-30/f2.8, for the larger sensor, and then a wide fast lens. I really don't want the size or weight. but it is only slightly larger than the old K20D - so it should be OK.

The original plan was to wait for the K3II replacement. Based on the KP perhaps the replacement will be lower noise than the K1 (or not). I have been looking and comparing the KP against the K1 - making some extrapolations on what the replacement may bring. Then there was the brief 5 day price reduction on the K1 that I missed. I know that the only real path forward here on ambient low light is a full frame - regardless of how well I like my K5. I just came to the decision to essentially go do the K1 and go do more shooting.

I have 3 old Contax AE lenses that I can't remount to Pentax (they are not the MM version of the C/Y mount) so, I'm packing them up for sale on some other websites.

Now to the question - lenses. I'm very happy with my lenses, but if I upgrade to a full frame, it's going to be a two step process. Buy the K1, use it while selling some lenses, then picking up the 15-30. I'm primarily concerned with the wide end of things. So right now I have....
  • DA 10-17 - will probably go - I do like the thought of having a fisheye, I have shot several of my most favorite images with this.
  • Sigma 8-16/f4.5 - I like the field of view, but the FDA 15-30/f2.8 will cover this (larger and heavier), however it's faster and with little to no coma. So, it will go.
  • DA 12-24 - I really like this lens, but again the FDA 15-30/f2.8 will cover this, so it will be going.
  • Sigma 18-35/f1.8 - this has been my Milky Way lens and again the FDA 15-30/f2.8 will cover this. In theory, I'll gain a stop on the sensor size, but overall all will loose a 1/3 of a stop overall. 1/3 of a stop is not too much to get upset over.
  • Zeiss ZK 25/f2.8 - will become my main Milky Way lens until I acquire the FDA 15-30/f2.8.
  • Contax 28/f2.8 Distagon - Will also supplement with the Milky Way.
  • K 28/f3.5 - I would really like to use this to its full capabilities shifted wide all around, but depending on how it compares to everything else, we will see. Jury is out on this. Anyone have any experience with this shift lens on the K1?
  • FA 31/f1.8 Ltd - ain't going anywhere - even though folks say that it has seen its day and may not be up to the rigors of the K1's sensor. Don't know will see...
  • A 50/f1.7 - Will probably keep, pending on perhaps a 50/f1.8 with auto focus or perhaps FA 43/f1.9 Ltd - probably need to look and see how this performs on the K1
  • DA 60-250/f4 - Will keep, but remove the light baffle so that it will be full frame. I really do not need anything faster for distance. Has anyone found any problems with using this as essentially the only telephoto lens on the K1?
So, my plan is to buy the K1, and use the 25, 28 and 31 to shoot wide angle for a while. Sell off the 10-17, 8-16, 12-24, 18-35 to fund the 15-30/f2.8. Anything that I am missing here?

I haven't heard any more about the white dot issue since the first of the year. I've been following it, but it seems to have died out. I'm guessing that this has not been a continuing problem with new bodies? Any further insight on this?

Over the last 10 years, I have shot very little between 30 and 60mm. I have no idea if this will remain the same or if the 43 will be sufficient. I kind of hate the idea of acquiring the 28-70. I would then have 3 large and heavy zooms with me all the time.

Weight wise the K1 and 15-30 would top out at ~3.5 pounds. My nodal ninja 3 has an ideal working weight of 3 pounds with a maximum working weight of 7 pounds. Overall, I should be fine there. My heads and tripods will carry the overall weight.

Any one have any preference between the L brackets - the Kirk and the RRS. The only difference I can see is that the Kirk has the ability to handle cables from the left side of the body for potential tethering? So, anyone using tethering with the K1?

I have spent the weekend looking at some images I have shot (Landscape Milky Way), along with some daytime shots with my little Q hiking around some areas looking for better locations. I have been contemplating (perhaps over thinking) this for awhile, but the 15-30/2.8 will shoot 111 degrees wide. In portrait, that would provide me with
  • The full 90 degrees from the horizon to straight up vertical.
  • Plus another 21 degrees below the horizon of foreground.
  • It also provides 72 degree wide verticals, and when stitched another 40 degrees wide per stitch (even with a 1/3 overlap).
That right there pretty much made up my mind when I was looking at some other location that I want to shoot from. Single row, with no need to futz around with multiple rows, unless I really want to. It eliminates the need for compositing and makes post processing much simpler.

Based on the great results from the KP I suspect that another FF model will be released soon. This will probably be a 54MP model based on the same tech as the 24MP sensor in the KP.

I'm keeping an eye on all of this as I want to sell off most/all of my Nikon gear.

08-23-2017, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

There's an official Nikon announcement imminent,you may want to take a peek at the d850 b4 u doing any selling.
08-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
There's an official Nikon announcement imminent,you may want to take a peek at the d850 b4 u doing any selling.
My financial position has changed in the last couple of years and so I have to greatly reduce my gear. Thanks for the advice.
08-24-2017, 05:30 PM - 2 Likes   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Based on the great results from the KP I suspect that another FF model will be released soon. This will probably be a 54MP model based on the same tech as the 24MP sensor in the KP.

I'm keeping an eye on all of this as I want to sell off most/all of my Nikon gear.
I took a deep breath and ordered the K1 about a month ago. I've been out shooting with it a number of times. It's taking some getting use to, especially the post processing.

I remember when you moved to Nikon....

08-24-2017, 11:35 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I just read that for the 850, Nikon did not use a Sony sensor, they completely designed their own and FABed it.
QuoteQuote:
13) Nikon designed the D850 sensor themselves.
  • While Nikon contracts with a silicon foundry to actually manufacture the chips, Nikon confirmed that the D850's sensor is entirely their own design, vs. an off-the-shelf unit from a sensor manufacturer.
08-24-2017, 11:42 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I just read that for the 850, Nikon did not use a Sony sensor, they completely designed their own and FABed it. Quote:
Well, if you read Sony Rumours,it'll state its a Sony Sensor.

i havent read anything about Nikon saying its a complete home grown sensor.Theyve tweaked it for sure.
08-25-2017, 02:53 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just read that for the 850, Nikon did not use a Sony sensor, they completely designed their own and FABed it.
Nikon doesn't own a sensor fab so they may have designed the sensor, but they certainly didn't fab it. Typically in the past, "Nikon sensors" are Nikon's way of saying that they did some tweaking to some existing design -- whether or Sony's or Toshiba or Aptina.

Odds are that beneath the surface, this is still made by Sony (that's probably a good thing, not a bad thing).
08-27-2017, 11:43 PM   #44
Veteran Member

The D850 is almost $5,500 here in Australia (they can forget that), and, based on the performance of the KP, I'm still wondering if Pentax has something up their sleeve. I still have a K5 & K01 and a core of primes.. ;-)

But right now I'm broke and need to move on.