Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-04-2017, 10:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mirror Lock Up = Live View??

I was just wondering if there is any real difference (vibration wise) between using mirror lock-up mode and using live-view (prior to shutter trip)? It seems both have secured mirrors before the shutter is tripped and live-view can even utilize electronic shutter release for additional vibration suppression.

07-04-2017, 10:50 PM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mirror up just moves the mirror out of the way and starts a timer. You have no image on the screen and the viewfinder is blocked.

Live view raises the mirror to display the scene on the LCD however it will move the mirror through it's full cycle when you release the shutter, therefore negating the mirror up advantage.

If you use Live View with the electronic shutter then there is no mirror actuation and therefore it is more like mirror up for vibration control excpect you are able to view the LCD. I stopped using mirror up when the electronic shutter was enabled in live view as it lets me see the scene whilst reducing vibration like mirror up.

Tas
07-05-2017, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #3
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Mirror up just moves the mirror out of the way and starts a timer. You have no image on the screen and the viewfinder is blocked.

Live view raises the mirror to display the scene on the LCD however it will move the mirror through it's full cycle when you release the shutter, therefore negating the mirror up advantage.

If you use Live View with the electronic shutter then there is no mirror actuation and therefore it is more like mirror up for vibration control excpect you are able to view the LCD. I stopped using mirror up when the electronic shutter was enabled in live view as it lets me see the scene whilst reducing vibration like mirror up.

Tas
So you are saying that the mirror is lowered before the shot in Live View? I think it stays up. There is no light going through the optical viewfinder during shooting in Live View.

Only difference Live View vs Mirror up would be that in Live view the shutter closes before opening for the exposure.
07-05-2017, 01:24 AM   #4
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
So you are saying that the mirror is lowered before the shot in Live View? I think it stays up. There is no light going through the optical viewfinder during shooting in Live View.

Only difference Live View vs Mirror up would be that in Live view the shutter closes before opening for the exposure.
And you're probably right, so thanks for pointing this out, I'd not like to mislead the OP if I have it wrong.

I'll have to check it out with the camera in hand but from a vibration perspective the electronic shutter with LV is smoother than shooting in the normal mode with LV and therefore more akin to reducing vibration as you get with mirror lock up.

Tas

07-05-2017, 01:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Do I conclude correctly from the above discussion that there is no advantage as to reducing vibration with using LV and electronic shutter vs the MUP setting using the viewfinder, that they are equivalent? Thanks.
07-05-2017, 02:53 AM   #6
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
Do I conclude correctly from the above discussion that there is no advantage as to reducing vibration with using LV and electronic shutter vs the MUP setting using the viewfinder, that they are equivalent? Thanks.
Using Live View and ES will get you less vibration than OVF and MUP.

---------- Post added 07-05-17 at 11:55 AM ----------

This article is for the Nikon D810 but the theory should be applicable to the K-1

D810 TIPS | Technical Solutions | Nikon Professional Services
07-05-2017, 03:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Vibration vise there is an advantage with ES, however you get a rolling shutter instead but as long as the scene is static it's ok.

07-05-2017, 07:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess I'd like to use the mechanical shutter with the mirror locked up so as I understand it, that is accomplished with live-view in non-ES mode? Great, and then there is ES mode when one wants another level of vibration reduction. It sound's like mirror lock-up is applicable to timer-delayed pics which is good such that the camera doesn't have to be touched at the moment of shutter release, again addressing vibration issues.

My point in asking about this is going toward my intent to use my K-1 on a telescope for the upcoming solar eclipse and I don't want the mirror flopping around but I would like to see the view and focus without using the OV. Sound's like that totally possible!
07-05-2017, 11:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I would rate the alternatives in the following order:
Live view with ES as the ultimate vibration free way to shoot. (Only useful at static or slow moving scenes due to rolling shutter). Nothing moves until after the fact.
Then normal mirror up, followed by live view and normal shutter.

Of course with a remote at all times.
07-06-2017, 07:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Can you use live view with ES plus 2 sec timer so no need for a remote?
07-06-2017, 07:21 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Yes, no problem.
07-06-2017, 07:27 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not sure what you mean by "normal mirror up" versus "live view and normal shutter"? I get the last option of the three (and of course, there's a fourth - VF with shutter), but am confused by "normal mirror up" which sounds like "live view with ES" (I didn't think anything moved in the latter either until after the exposure) unless there's a subtle difference.

Also, what "shutter" speeds are available to the ES? I realize it does a rolling shutter thing, but can that readout of the sensor be varied speed-wise?
07-06-2017, 07:46 AM   #13
Pentaxian

With normal mirror up and a remote I mean that the first press flips up the mirror, shutter still closed. Next press opens the shutter.

Live view and normal shutter means that the mirror is up AND the shutter is open (due to live view), when the picture is taken the shutter will first close, then open again for the exposure. That is a little bit more motion inside the camera than "normal" mirror up mode.

Don't think there are any restrictions to shutter speed with ES, at least I haven't hit any limits although I haven't pushed it to any extremes.
07-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for that great explanation. That would make for a good K-1 "sticky" to explain levels of vibration reduction (with the explanations of each level like you provided). Appreciate the clarification.

---------- Post added 07-06-2017 at 04:26 PM ----------

How does this summary look to you Gimbal? Any corrections?

Vibration reduction modes (least vibration to most - all assumed with remote control and camera on tripod or stable support):

Live View with Electronic Shutter
Mirror is locked up and mechanical shutter is open. Shutter release fires electronic shutter -
virtually no vibration.

Mirror Lock-Up with mechanical shutter
Mirror is locked up with first press of shutter release and mechanical shutter trips on second,
opening and closing for exposure (followed by mirror dropping back into place). Assumes adequate delay between first press and second, allowing time for mirror shock to die out.

Live-View with mechanical shutter
Mirror is locked up with mechanical shutter open. Press of shutter release closes mechanical shutter
and then opens/closes it for exposure (after which shutter re-opens to restore live-view).

Viewfinder with mechanical shutter (assumes no eye contact with viewfinder)
Pressing shutter causes mirror to flip up, mechanical shutter to open and close for exposure (after
which the mirror returns to the down position.

Note: Post-exposure events have no effect on vibration in shot but are mentioned for sequence clarity.

Last edited by Bob 256; 07-07-2017 at 07:00 AM.
07-07-2017, 12:56 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Looks good to me, although I don’t think you can do the second one, “Mirror lock-up with electronic shutter”. ES is only usable in live view (which of course means that the mirror already is up) as far as I know.