Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-06-2017, 01:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best resolution on K-1, Better to use APSC Mode or shoot in FF and Crop in Post?

No sure if this has been asked before...

Last edited by dcpropilot; 07-06-2017 at 02:05 AM.
07-06-2017, 01:19 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When you crop in post you can get the maximum amount of pixels out of the image circle. sometimes only the far corners are black so a aps-c crop would leave out a lot of usable pixels. How sharp the corners and borders are is lens dependent.
07-06-2017, 02:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some of my APS-C lenses are just fine on the K1 in most circumstances, especially the DA40 and DA70 Limiteds, but also the DA 55-300 where only the corners need work (or cropping). For the most part I shoot these in FF mode and only crop (mildly) if necessary. Others are nowhere near it: e.g., DA 16-85, DA 18-135, DA 15 Ltd. It is pointless to shoot these in FF mode. However, don't neglect the 1x1 square mode. This is particularly good with the DA15, which almost covers it (extreme corners are near-black) provided you leave the hood retracted. I actually prefer to shoot the DA15 in 1x1 rather than APS-C.
07-06-2017, 02:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would suggest shooting in FF and customising your crop. Especially if you like using 4:3, 5:4 or 1:1 aspect ratios.

07-06-2017, 03:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

It depends on how much post you do. If you post-process everything, might as well shoot full frame and crop out the dead stuff there. If you're shooting for keepers, you ought to be shooting raw and post-processing anyway.

I really should update the firmware so I have 1:1 available, but my K-1 is so (relatively) new - three thousand shots - that I am petrified of bricking it with a sour update.
07-06-2017, 04:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yeah, I would only use crop mode for lenses that are confirmed APSC-only, like the DA 21mm (very dark edges, no light in corners). But even then you can actually get away with shooting FF and then cropping in post to something like a square and you can get more MP. So in the end, I would only shoot in APSC mode when using a confirmed apsc-only lens and would not have time to post process each photo a lot, or if i wanted to save card space (and maybe for faster burst mode?). When it comes to actually cropping, you can probably crop a little less than APSC and you get more resolution. Like, if you crop to APSH (the Canon standard) or to square or 4:3..

Edit: I don't think any raw software has automatic crop mode, where it would crop out all the empty black corners. Maybe Photoshop has something kind of similar, but it would still need to be applied by hand
07-06-2017, 05:11 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot the DA55-300 in crop mode, because I can have AF points covering most of the frame. The only other crop lens I use on the K-1 is the DA*55, and it's so close to fully FF compatible that I'm happy to leave any crop to post processing.

07-06-2017, 05:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
When you crop in post you can get the maximum amount of pixels out of the image circle. sometimes only the far corners are black so a aps-c crop would leave out a lot of usable pixels. How sharp the corners and borders are is lens dependent.
^^^^THIS!

And it really depends on how you define "best resolution"

If best resolution means:

1) pixel peeping the center, then it does not matter;

2) pixel peeping the corners, then shoot FF and crop until the corners are acceptable; or

3) total number resolution for the largest possible print, then shoot FF and crop until the corners are acceptable.

Generally speaking, shooting FF and cropping in post provides the most flexibility to get the best out of image. But it does mean buffering and storing larger files and foregoing the higher burst rate of the APS-C crop mode.
07-06-2017, 07:43 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
^^^^THIS!

And it really depends on how you define "best resolution"

If best resolution means:

1) pixel peeping the center, then it does not matter;

2) pixel peeping the corners, then shoot FF and crop until the corners are acceptable; or

3) total number resolution for the largest possible print, then shoot FF and crop until the corners are acceptable.

Generally speaking, shooting FF and cropping in post provides the most flexibility to get the best out of image. But it does mean buffering and storing larger files and foregoing the higher burst rate of the APS-C crop mode.
For me post processing is preferred due to the added flexibility and control you have over the whole image. You have all the data to work with.
07-06-2017, 08:06 AM   #10

What about the exposure metering when you shoot in FF with dark corners ?
07-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chrisfer Quote
What about the exposure metering when you shoot in FF with dark corners ?
It has zero effect as fat as I can tell. The metering is exactly the same.

I always shoot in FF mode. There are very few lenses that I own, that have to be cropped to APS-c size. The DA 10-17 fisheye at the wide end might be the only one I can think of off the top of my head. And it's good from 15mm to 17 mm.
07-06-2017, 04:47 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I only use APS crop mode when my real goal is to crop well within it (like when I forget to bring a long lens and see something neat far off)

I use 1:1 with my 16-50, which is the only lens I have that isn't close to full frame.

-Eric