Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2017, 12:45 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax K-1 laughing about Canon 6DII image quality performance

And not only that:

Seems like the 6D2 is worse that it's predecessor and really not in the same Ballpark as the 5D4.

Exposure Latitude
Image comparison: Digital Photography Review

ISO-invariance
Image comparison: Digital Photography Review

So if you use fast lenses with a lot of vignetting (think Sigma Art) that needs correcting and thus regularly adjust image edges by +4 or more EV (vignetting correction combined with general postprocessing adjustments easily gets to this level) this is not a sensor to like.

07-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #2
Forum Member

Oh my God!!!! For me, even the K-1 looks better than the 5d Mark IV
And with the Pixel Shift, it looks even better
07-20-2017, 12:59 PM - 4 Likes   #3
CDW
Site Supporter

As one of the DPReview staff pointed out, the sensor in the 6D2 uses off-chip A/D converters, increasing noise, particularly in the shadow areas. Compared to the K1, especially for any night sky, astro, landscape shooting, the Canon is laughable. But it's a Canon and that's all that matters to novice photographers. A local photography club that I attend is mostly composed of the Nikon/Canon crowd. One member shoots with Lumix, another with SONY and I'm the only Pentax shooter. And at club presentations, I see horrible post processing skills, bumped contrast, over the top saturation, hideous HDR/tone mapping. The best images in the world won't stand those types of post processing abuse. A camera like the K1 with state of the art noise and dynamic range performance, not to mention unique features that Canikon have yet to implement in their systems, is lost on the typical Canon buyer.

As a poster on DPR noted, the reality is the 6D2 is nothing more than a FF Rebel. And extremely overpriced.
07-20-2017, 01:05 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Forum Member

Sometimes I feel bad because Pentax can be waaaay better than Canon or Nikon but the company is not making their best effort to show the true talent

07-20-2017, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The other day DPReview had an article "Should I buy a 6D Mark II?", and if you read it, they can't offer much of a reason to do so. it seems like only the price is a compelling feature.

Should I buy a Canon EOS 6D Mark II?: Digital Photography Review
07-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
just looking at the specs of the 6D2, I am baffled who the intended customer is. seems like a very ho hum release.

---------- Post added 07-20-2017 at 02:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
And not only that:

Seems like the 6D2 is worse that it's predecessor and really not in the same Ballpark as the 5D4.

Exposure Latitude
[/URL]

ISO-invariance
[/URL]

holy crap, those are terrible.
07-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow !!
What a difference ... the K-1 sure is on top this time!

07-20-2017, 03:05 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting!
I have really noticed with my K-1, one of the big improvements (even over the K-5) is what I can do in PP. I am much happier tweaking exposure significantly in PP when normally I would limit what I do - due to noise.

The big things I did not know from these comparisons is this:
* Also compare to the D810
* At +5 the K-1 is a little better and at +6 quite a bit better
* Turn on pixel shift and it blows the 810 out of the water
* I had know idea that pixel shift would affect latitude by that much at ISO 100!

Maybe I need to start using pixel shift when conditions allow.
07-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I just bought my first Canon this month and while trying to figure out what bodies to get I was kind of shocked at some of the specs. The K1 blows most of them away, that is why I'm not doing a complete system switch. I'm keeping the K1 for all my small focal lenght shooting and just going long lens with Canon.

One thing Canon does do really well though is putting great videos on Youtube to help learn and their CPS plan is great. For $100 a year I can get 3 business day turnaround service with free return shipping and equipment evaluation loans and some other benefits also. I don't remember ever getting emails from Pentax for stuff like that or seeing them offer those kinds of things before, maybe they do I just don't remember seeing it.

If Pentax would start putting out how to videos and offer services like Canon they they could improve sales probably, the K1 is a amazing body and a huge bargain at its price they just need to get the customer support improved.
07-20-2017, 03:22 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I thought we here at PF are supposed to ignore DPR.

Steve
07-20-2017, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

So you may say even a K5 is better DR wise?
Diversity is good..
07-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The DR of this camera is a joke.. .. price is a joke too..
Attached Images

07-20-2017, 04:08 PM - 10 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

LOL! Seems like Canon folks should jump ship and start investing in Pentax.

Canon is DOOOOOMED!
07-20-2017, 04:38 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

It's funny that this post comes at a time when I have been experimenting more with night portraiture and have been very happy with results even up to ISO 3200. The K-1 is definitely a champ!
07-21-2017, 04:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Not very good for photo, not very good for video (lack of 4K). And the big problem is not that Pentax K-1 is better, even it is a problem, but Canon 80D seems to be better. Lets pray for the engineers and managers of Canon, for their health and quick recovery.