Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2017, 03:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Miissing feature in K1

I don't own a K1 "yet", but I heard that if you magnify the play back image you cannot scroll back to a previous image in a magnified state. For example on my K-5 II, I can magnify a playback image to 100% then scroll back and view a previous image which is also magnified at 100%. This comes in handy when you are pixel peeping, or comparing lenses to see what image is the sharpest. I read somewhere that the K1 cannot do this which would be a little disappointing.

Another feature which I wish all Pentax DSLR had is "Manual Exposure Locking" . I'm not talking about pressing the AEL button because that only lasts for 8 seconds or so, I'm talking about choosing an aperture and shutter speed in manual mode and locking that exposure until kingdom come. For example suppose I had to shoot a bunch of graduating high-school kids(or commercial items). Lets say about 600+ kids(commercial items) one after another. The setting is indoors and you are using two flash heads.

You would use your flash-meter to get the proper exposure adjust your flash heads, then you would want to keep that exposure until the end of the shoot. There is no way to do this with Pentax cameras as far as I know. Canon and I think Nikon have a feature which allows you to lock the manual exposure With Pentax cameras in Manual mode if someone sneezes the exposure changes, also there are plenty of chances to knock-off the set exposure while shooting. Not sure if I am right here ?

07-29-2017, 03:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The k-1 can do both of those. Zoom and change images works the same as always. Nothing changes in manual mode. You can also lock the camera so you don't accidentally change something
07-29-2017, 03:52 PM   #3

I don't have a K-1, but can't you lock your exposure settings by saving them as either U1 or U2 on the dial? Otherwise, the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO all stay set in "M" on my K-S2 unless I turn my dials - even after turning off the camera.
07-29-2017, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Question 1. Whoever told you that is mistaken. K1 works like any other Pentax i have owned. Take a number of pictures...review the latest in 100% view then scroll back through all your images. All will be 100% view.

Question 2. have you ever used manual mode ? It is called manual for a reason. You set the shutter speed and your set the aperture manually. Neither can possibly change unless you move the respective dials. If you are in danger of moving the dial by mistake then use the control lock button which will prevent you changing your settings.

To add to this...an explanation of how the AEL button works in manual mode. It does lock the exposure, but not in the way you were thinking. When the AEL button is pressed in manual mode any change you make to either shutter speed or aperture will be matched by the camera choosing a corresponding change to aperture or shutter speed. So your overall exposure will remain the same, but your shutter speed and aperture will have changed. This is obviously not what you want especially when using flash, so using the Control lock button is the way to go.

Last edited by pschlute; 07-29-2017 at 04:47 PM.
07-29-2017, 05:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Not as stated

Question 1: I am not able to review multiple pictures in zoom mode on my K-1 and I never have. I just reviewed the owner's manual and I did testing. I even experimented with various quick zoom settings in the menu but none of the settings produced the desired behavior. When I am in playback mode and I zoom in on a picture, the < and > buttons just move the zoomed portion of the picture right or left. I can see no way to go to the next picture in zoom mode without first exiting zoom mode. Perhaps I'm missing something, in which case I'll be happy to become enlightened.
07-29-2017, 05:28 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^^^ As far as I recall that's the way every Pentax I've ever owned has worked.
07-29-2017, 05:34 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Forum Member

Have you tried: rear dial to zoom, front dial to scroll through pictures (keeping the current zoom setting)? That's how it works on the K30 and K3.

07-29-2017, 05:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That works! I'm enlightened. Thanks
07-29-2017, 11:06 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by speagles2 Quote
Have you tried: rear dial to zoom, front dial to scroll through pictures (keeping the current zoom setting)? That's how it works on the K30 and K3.
Interesting to see this thread.
I stumbled on this feature by accident. My daughter who is 7 years just happened to be doing this whilst going though pictures on my K-30 two days ago.

I couldnt replicate it as I didnt now how she did it and she didnt know how either. Anyway thanks.
07-30-2017, 06:35 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Question 1. Whoever told you that is mistaken. K1 works like any other Pentax i have owned. Take a number of pictures...review the latest in 100% view then scroll back through all your images. All will be 100% view.

Question 2. have you ever used manual mode ? It is called manual for a reason. You set the shutter speed and your set the aperture manually. Neither can possibly change unless you move the respective dials. If you are in danger of moving the dial by mistake then use the control lock button which will prevent you changing your settings.

To add to this...an explanation of how the AEL button works in manual mode. It does lock the exposure, but not in the way you were thinking. When the AEL button is pressed in manual mode any change you make to either shutter speed or aperture will be matched by the camera choosing a corresponding change to aperture or shutter speed. So your overall exposure will remain the same, but your shutter speed and aperture will have changed. This is obviously not what you want especially when using flash, so using the Control lock button is the way to go.
What control-lock are you talking about it is not on my K-5 II ?
07-30-2017, 06:41 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
What control-lock are you talking about it is not on my K-5 II ?
I am talking about the Lock button on the side of the K1. You can program yourself which controls you want disabled while the camera is locked.
07-30-2017, 10:49 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I am talking about the Lock button on the side of the K1. You can program yourself which controls you want disabled while the camera is locked.
Thanks I didn't know that...

---------- Post added 07-30-17 at 12:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dave2k Quote
Question 1: I am not able to review multiple pictures in zoom mode on my K-1 and I never have. I just reviewed the owner's manual and I did testing. I even experimented with various quick zoom settings in the menu but none of the settings produced the desired behavior. When I am in playback mode and I zoom in on a picture, the < and > buttons just move the zoomed portion of the picture right or left. I can see no way to go to the next picture in zoom mode without first exiting zoom mode. Perhaps I'm missing something, in which case I'll be happy to become enlightened.
You have to use the quick dial in the front of the camera to move forward or backward. try that and get back to us.
07-30-2017, 12:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Thanks I didn't know that...

---------- Post added 07-30-17 at 12:54 PM ----------

You have to use the quick dial in the front of the camera to move forward or backward. try that and get back to us.
Yes, this was stated above and I replied. Good to know this as it's one less frustration. Now if I could go to 1:1 crop mode from the menus rather than the top dial my life would be complete.
07-30-2017, 10:50 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This statement makes no sense to me. If you have the feature dial on the K-1 set on Crop, then it is *much* easier to change framing from the 3rd dial than from the menus. You can easily see the framing guide change in the viewfinder. Likewise, if you are using the rear screen instead of the vf, you can see the framing mode change on the screen. Only if you have the feature dial set to another parameter would you need to change framing via the menus.