Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2017, 01:00 AM   #1

White-balance behavior ?

Hi everyone,

I just switched from Nikon to Pentax (K1) en I'm a little confused how the raw-files are imported in Lightroom.
I'm used that white balance doesn't matter when shooting in raw, but after a few tests I saw that a white balance is attached to the raw (I set it to DNG) and is applied when importing the raw in Lightroom.
It looks for me as a good thing because I still can change the WB from 'as shot' to another WB-setting as far as I can see, but I really thought that WB doesn't matter when shooting in raw, and the big question is : how can I get to the raw-file without a white-balance from the camera ?

Then the next question comes up.... can I include a filter (in RAW) from my K1 when importing in Lightroom, for example... add a Black&White filter in the camera-setting so when I import the DNG in lightroom it's in Black&White, but I still be able to revert that setting (after all it's a raw file) ?
Same thing for example for the 'skin tone', 'lens correction', 'highlight correction'..... settings (set it in the camera-settings so it's automatically set in Lightroom, of course non-destructive so that I can revert it) ?
Is that possible ?

I'm a newbe en still in learning process ;-)

greeting,

Pascal
Belgium (excuse me if my English isn't that good, but I have it a try ;-) )

Last edited by Pascali70; 07-31-2017 at 01:36 AM.
07-31-2017, 02:22 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pascali70 Quote
I just switched from Nikon to Pentax (K1) en I'm a little confused how the raw-files are imported in Lightroom. I'm used that white balance doesn't matter when shooting in raw, but after a few tests I saw that a white balance is attached to the raw (I set it to DNG) and is applied when importing the raw in Lightroom. It looks for me as a good thing because I still can change the WB from 'as shot' to another WB-setting as far as I can see, but I really thought that WB doesn't matter when shooting in raw, and the big question is : how can I get to the raw-file without a white-balance from the camera ?
When shooting the camera will always pick a set of settings it recommends, if you don't want to use those you can set the white balance to auto or a fixed value in ACR. However, I've found that the K-1 as well as other recent Pentax bodies often do just as good of a job automatically as you would manually, unless you spend a lot of time on it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pascali70 Quote
Then the next question comes up.... can I include a filter (in RAW) from my K1 when importing in Lightroom, for example... add a Black&White filter in the camera-setting so when I import the DNG in lightroom it's in Black&White, but I still be able to revert that setting (after all it's a raw file) ? Same thing for example for the 'skin tone', 'lens correction', 'highlight correction'..... settings (set it in the camera-settings so it's automatically set in Lightroom, of course non-destructive so that I can revert it) ? Is that possible ?
Sounds like you'd benefit from shooting in RAW+, as this would yield a JPEG with all those settings applied (except for highlight correction, which also affects raw files directly).

Lens corrections and skin tone are Pentax-exclusive settings and the only software that can fully mimic what the camera would do is the supplied pentax digital camera utility software. Lightroom has its own lens correction profiles which could can certainly apply as a default.

Black and white is chosen from the custom image menu. From there you can select the black and white preset and then fine-adjust the tones if/as needed.

Lastly, keep in mind that distortion correction, clarity enhancement, and skin tone correction add 1-2 seconds of processing time after each image capture, and are thus not ideal when shooting bursts.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-31-2017, 02:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you very much for the reply.

So, as I understand for now the best workflow is the workflow that I was used to with my Nikon, minimalize the camera settings and do the job in Lightroom.
Or are there some special Pentax features that I'm not aware of that can simplify my workflow in Lightroom with my new Pentax K-1 ?