Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2017, 01:45 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Are the A7 cameras able to focus well in low light? My previous Sony mirrorless cameras, the RX100 II and the FF RX1, were both pretty abysmal at focusing in low light.
I think those before the A7r II don't do very well in low light. They have a wider spread of auto focus points, maybe, but not great at grabbing focus.

To me, the K-1 does make a lot of sense. It works well and auto focuses very nicely in AF-S mode. When people talk about Pentax lagging in auto focus capability, they are usually referring to tracking auto focus. The K-1 is decent, but not up to a D750. I think it would be fine for your purposes.

As far as the sensor goes, the K-1 actually performs better than the D810 at every iso that DXO Mark tested from iso 100 on. The D810 does have iso 64 and is like .2 EV better than K-1 at iso 100 there, but otherwise, the K-1 is about as good as gets from a dynamic range up to iso 1600. Add in pixel shift, where you can use it, and you can definitely push shadows four stops without intrusive noise.

07-31-2017, 02:10 PM   #17

If memory serves me correctly, the was a hardware issue with the K-5's that prevented flashes from working properly. Long since corrected with the K-3's and K-1.

If I am wrong I am sure someone in the forum will correct me.

Jerry
07-31-2017, 02:17 PM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would second the recommendation of looking into renting various set ups - camera bodies and lenses - to do your own "experimentation"

I have used LensRental.com from Tennessee to try out the Pentax 150 - 450 zoom and the 1.4 rear converter before I purchased them.

they also indicate that they might sell the rental equipment to you with a discount based on the rental fee.

Is the problem that you are not satisfied with the K 5 or that you want a K 1

if the former, I would suggest you look at the K 5 II, K 5 II s, the K 3 or the K 3 II or the other Pentax cameras developed since the K 5

I have never tried the K 1 but I like the K 5 II and K 3 that I have

( altho my needs are simple and may not match yours )
07-31-2017, 11:02 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
You mentioned access to a wide variety of lenses, so Sony system could be an option for that, since you're basically gaining access to the best Nikkor and Canon mount lenses, plus modern Zeiss glass, as well as their excellent G master lens line up. Pentax glass would still be usable in manual, as well as any vintage lens out there. You can even get an adapter that turns Leica glass to AF lenses which is pretty cool. Plus you'd keep IBIS on A7 II and higher.
Certainly intriguing. Since the A7 system emerged, I've been very interested in it. Only handled an A7 once, though. But this is more of a if-money-was-of-no-concern-thing. What I meant was primarily the access to the whole Sigma Art line and the Tamron lenses that Pentax users don't get.

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Cameras directly comparable to the K1? Yes, but body wise they will be more expensive (around $900 and up), but each brand has something that's as good/better in certain areas and not as good/worse in others. As far as "name brand" lenses, Sony, Canon & Nikon's cost more (especially Sony's), so 3rd party would be a better choice if looking to save money.
Not necessarily. I've seen a Nikon D810 for around 1600€. The lowest price for the K-1 still is 1800€. In most shops it's 2000€ and up.
The chance to find my current lenses or similar ones for another system for a lower price than what I paid is there.
I'm still very conflicted...

---------- Post added 08-01-2017 at 08:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
To me, the K-1 does make a lot of sense. It works well and auto focuses very nicely in AF-S mode. When people talk about Pentax lagging in auto focus capability, they are usually referring to tracking auto focus. The K-1 is decent, but not up to a D750. I think it would be fine for your purposes.

As far as the sensor goes, the K-1 actually performs better than the D810 at every iso that DXO Mark tested from iso 100 on. The D810 does have iso 64 and is like .2 EV better than K-1 at iso 100 there, but otherwise, the K-1 is about as good as gets from a dynamic range up to iso 1600. Add in pixel shift, where you can use it, and you can definitely push shadows four stops without intrusive noise.
As I said, tracking-AF is not that important. If AF-S is reliable, that's enough.
I've seen the test results and the articles on its DR. Both are on a very high level. Very impressive indeed.
Pixel shift is lacking software support. If I can't use it with Lightroom, I'll probably not use it that often. Kinda lame.

QuoteOriginally posted by gidewey52 Quote
If memory serves me correctly, the was a hardware issue with the K-5's that prevented flashes from working properly. Long since corrected with the K-3's and K-1.

If I am wrong I am sure someone in the forum will correct me.

Jerry
Good to know.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I would second the recommendation of looking into renting various set ups - camera bodies and lenses - to do your own "experimentation"

I have used LensRental.com from Tennessee to try out the Pentax 150 - 450 zoom and the 1.4 rear converter before I purchased them.

they also indicate that they might sell the rental equipment to you with a discount based on the rental fee.

Is the problem that you are not satisfied with the K 5 or that you want a K 1

if the former, I would suggest you look at the K 5 II, K 5 II s, the K 3 or the K 3 II or the other Pentax cameras developed since the K 5

I have never tried the K 1 but I like the K 5 II and K 3 that I have

( altho my needs are simple and may not match yours )
You forget that I'm not located in the US. As far as I know there is no rental company in Germany that even carries Pentax.

It's both: the K-5's quirks (constant misfocusing and mismetering) and restraints annoy me and I've been lusting after FF since the beginning of time. But it's more of a want than a need. I still take pictures with my K-5 and most of the time I don't feel like it's crippling me.

08-01-2017, 01:27 AM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Egg Salad Quote
. . . . .

You forget that I'm not located in the US. As far as I know there is no rental company in Germany that even carries Pentax.

It's both: the K-5's quirks (constant misfocusing and mismetering) and restraints annoy me and I've been lusting after FF since the beginning of time. But it's more of a want than a need. I still take pictures with my K-5 and most of the time I don't feel like it's crippling me.

oops, sorry

I did forget, another poster mentioned renting a Nikon, so I was following that suggestion

my bad

good luck
08-02-2017, 07:58 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Sigma 70-200 and am happy with it on my K-1. I've shot extensive ballet photos of my grand daughter in available light and am very happy with exposure, sharpness, and color rendition. If in doubt, rent-a-lens.
08-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I suppose that's with f/2.8-f/4 at infinity and more or less the center of the frame used, right?

08-07-2017, 02:54 AM   #23
Veteran Member

D850 is on the horizon now. Tilt screen included. Only thing missing are pixel shift and astrotracer. PS is sometimes not reasonable and tracking mount beats astrotracer for accuracy and exposure length. So D850 is the correct replacement. Price will be a bit steep for majority of customers though. Large Pentax and Nikon DSLR bodies share ergonomics too (large enough and excellent grip).
08-08-2017, 02:59 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
While I wouldn't miss any of those features, I'm sure it will cost about a million bucks (roughly), so I'm out. In fact, I'm trying to resist buying anything at all. Going full frame most likely results in needing new lenses and I'm not sure if I can justify these expenses. But I'm also still keeping my eyes open for a bargain - be it Pentax, Nikon or even Sony. We'll see for how long I'll succeed in resisting...
08-08-2017, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Egg Salad Quote
. . . We'll see for how long I'll succeed in resisting...

" resistance is futile "

is an idea that preexisted " the borg "
08-08-2017, 08:18 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I knew that this was coming!
But yes - the want is strong with this one.
08-09-2017, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #27

What you gain is more like loose against the 750. Having owned the 750, I wouldn't compare the D750 to the Pentax K1. K1 has more Megapixels, more functional dials, better menu interface, In-Body stabilization, pixel shift, Astro if that is your thing. Ohh, the 750 does have a pop-up flash, so there is a gain. The specs between the two are everywhere, so I won't go on with that.

Something to consider with Nikon, having also owned the 600 and the 800e, Nikon quality control is slipping. If you check with their three of their last four launches have major issues with the camera. Yes, they will fix it, but you just spent $2000 for something that is in the shop. That is one reason I vacated Nikon after the 750.

Just some random thoughts of my experiences.