Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2017, 01:33 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aftermarket LCD Viewfinder for K1

As I use legacy MF glass exclusively, I have become totally dependant on LCD viewfinders with LV and focus peaking to handle focus. I have 3 or 4 LCD viewfinder aids lying around for my K01 and K30 but none of them fit my newly acquired K1 without at least some modification.
I have finally found a viewfinder which fits the K1 nicely.
It focuses nicely when its rubber front edge is up against the screen and its base plate is a quick attach tripod fitting with a nice long and rubbery connection with the base of the camera. This makes for a nice sturdy mount when the camera is on portrait on my ballhead and my hefty macro is mounted.
And most importantly it (only just) covers the screen.

It is a Swivi S3.

I thought I would create this thread so other people can share their findings on what good viewfinders they have found to fit.
Oh and ps - I am a farmer and not a Swivi marketer!!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
08-01-2017, 01:27 PM   #2
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't think anyone would say the K1 was a low profile kit on its own without the viewfinder !! The viewfinder weighs nothing so it is all looks. It never occurred to me to change brands and looking at the specs now I wouldn't have. My biggest issue was because my K01 setup with viewfinder was such a killer combo I didn't know if I could replicate it on the K1. One of the unrecognized key things about a viewfinder attachment is it creates a third attachment point for a hand held camera. Sort of like that brick on your tripod -- being held up against the weight of your head (brick!!) really helps stability.
08-01-2017, 11:23 PM   #3
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Surprised you didn't just head straight for one of the Sony A7s given your choice of glass.
Pretty much the first thing which came to my mind. Why not?

08-02-2017, 01:50 AM   #4
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well given that the K01 had taken me to new photographic skill levels it never occurred to me to turn my back on the Brand. Now that I compare them I see nothing that puts any of the A7 models ahead of the K1 in things that matter to me. With the K1 you gain image stabilization , pixel shift and astrotracery . I would rather look through a viewfinder than a EVF for the stability reason I mentioned above. The thing is I can whip the viewfinder off in less than 10 seconds and be back with the OVF (or open view of the lcd) on those occasions that that suits me.

08-02-2017, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #5
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Fair points, but to clarify, the A7ii and beyond do feature 5 axis stabilization.
Ahhh yes I had presumed the A7r came after the A7ii. A7ii has SR but has a lowpass filter and A7r is noSR no filter. To get both (SR and no AA filter) you have to go to the A7Rii which (the one price I saw) is $800 more than the K1. Have I got that right?