Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I would get instead of a K-1, if it didn't exist? Since you're asking that question: a current Pentax top-of-the-line APS-C DSLR. Which is what I did in 2014, and hope I will be in a position to do if my trusty K-3 should give up the ghost, or (in the long run) if Ricoh came up with a truly compelling K-3/K-3 II successor.

The multi-issue-ridden, built-in-obsolescence, poor-ergonomics, iffy-and-different-ecosystem Sony A9 doesn't bother nor impress me a bit, I must say. I'm not saying that as a Pentax fanboy or Sony hater, but because I can't think of a strong enough reason to need or even want it for my photography - and, mind you, I'm passionate about photography.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 08-03-2017 at 12:12 PM.
08-03-2017, 12:20 PM   #17

I went with the sony A7ii, not that its better than my pentax apsc system, but its different enough and keeps my hobby more interesting.ü
08-03-2017, 12:48 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I probably would have jumped ship. Being an old timer I still like manual focus. And full frame cameras with their larger focus screens are easier on my old eyes. As it is, no need to switch now and I continue to learn how to use these overly complex beasts. Old dog here still trying to learn how to learn new tricks.
08-03-2017, 01:00 PM   #19
Pentaxian

If the K1 did not exist, at the time of decision, I'd have gotten a D810. But now, what's interesting is the image quality that comes out of the Pentax KP, a step above the K3, almost as good as K1...

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-03-2017 at 01:14 PM.
08-03-2017, 01:54 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I just got a Canon 5ds-r last month that I like. I was looking at the Nikon 810 but the Canon lenses is what made me go with them. I love the K1 and the Canon will not replace it.
08-03-2017, 02:07 PM   #21
Pentaxian

If the K-1 didn't exist the K-5 would probably still be my main camera. I wanted better noise performance, AF, and general image quality (higher res with no AA filter) but it wasn't an emergency that justified switching systems to full frame. I might have bought a K-70, K-3, or KP if I couldn't get the K-1.

We live in the future with so many great cameras. There will never be a perfect camera, though. I suspect I'll eventually become a 2-system shooter: Pentax K-1 for low light and high DR, supplemented by m4/3.

*If* I had to switch systems, it would be a very tough choice because every brand offers some new things but also misses a few things.

Canon: Much astrophotography software only works with Canon. Canon cameras lag the competition for noise and DR, though.

Nikon: The D810 is a great camera, very similar to the K-1. Maybe that's what I would have bought.

Sony: I would need to do more hands-on testing with the A7 to see how I like the EVF. The small size is good for street shooting, bad when holding a 500mm lens to photograph planes. The A9 20 fps would probably get me to shoot more action and BIF but my niche seems to be night photography where fps is irrelevant.

Olympus m43: They have a feature that dynamically updates the LCD during long bulb exposures. The small body is great for hiking, but with that comes a smaller sensor for much more noise than the K-1.
08-03-2017, 02:32 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
We live in the future with so many great cameras. There will never be a perfect camera, though.
I think that's the transition we're going through now.

It used to be that you could buy a K1000, or a Leica M4, or a Rolleiflex TLR, or a Hasselblad, or whatever and you were done. Buy good glass, and improvements we saw in photographic technology were pretty much in new emulsions. Buy into a good system with a good variety of accessories and lenses, and you were set.

Then digital photography came around, and the difference from 2 megapixels to 3, then from 3 to 6, then 6 to 12, and so on offered such an improvement (not just in megapixels but in dynamic range, usability, better screens, better high ISO performance, and the rest) that the lenses were the anchor, and camera bodies didn't exactly become obsolete, but they became something closer to disposable.

I think we're at the point where we can all take a breath, find a camera that offers solid performance and suits our photographic needs, and commit to it for 5-10 years.

It's a nice place to be. Maybe it's not good for the camera manufacturers, but as a photographer I'm digging the plateau we're starting to see in camera tech.

08-03-2017, 02:34 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Nothing. I have a Z, and the K1 is the backup or quick shot camera. There isn't anything else at this price point that does what the K1 does. And I can adapt all of my 645 lenses to it if I like, use a Rhinocam I think, and certainly a Cambo Actus. Plus all my flash stuff is compatible. Without the K1 I would just have kept my A7R---it was a fine camera.
08-03-2017, 03:07 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I would probably have bought a Canon 5D3... Nikon D750, perhaps a full frame Sony. I like the full frame '35mm' sensor. In my film days, I used an assortment of Pentax 35mm SLRs. But also have a couple of medium format film cameras, a Yashicamat tlr, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta and a Mamiya 220 Pro f, with an 80 normal, 65 wide angle and 180mm super telephoto. I also used a Pentax 6X7 on occasion.

I liked the larger negative of the medium format, just as I prefer the 35 full frame sensor over the ASP-C sensor. They're both good, I just like what my K-1 can do.

IMO, the specs of the K-1 are better than the D750 or the 5D3....but I still would have had little difficulty going with the Canon or Nikon, probably the Canon...as sometimes in this currently turbulent world of camera companies.... the only manufacturer that I have complete confidence in still being around in 5-10 years is Canon.

But I didn't, I chose a K-1. While I'm at it, I would mention how much I like my Pentax 28-105. What a great lens for a fair price. Reminds me a lot of my Pentax 18-135 Pentax lens.

One thing I'm thinking about is the future. For an old guy like me....that is an unknown quantity. But if I'm still kicking and in half decent shape in 10-15 years...I may look for a lighter, smaller body (camera body that is ) to carry around.

Just a few years ago I sometimes carried around my K10D, Km and K-5 all at the same time...which was not only unwieldy but when I think about it, didn't make a lot of sense.

Now I just carry around one body mit lens....usually the K-1 or K5...both with battery grip and extra battery contained therein. Sometimes I look at the Fuji rangefinder type body and think maybe this could be the future for me. Reminds me of my old Leica rangefinder with it's 50 Leitz Elmar collapsible.

That was/is a quality combo easily carried and unobtrusive to others. Add the very quiet shutter and what a camera. I have thought about getting a new Leica rangefinder digital, with a fast 35mm lens...but it's really hard to justify the cost...for me anyways.

But full frame, small, compact, rugged....I think that would be the one for me...cost no object. Using my old Leica 11f film body over the years was always a real pleasure and the manual RF focus system was literally a 'snap' to use. A Leica RF is hard to beat with a moderate wide angle or normal focal length lens, in my experience anyways. The picture quality with my old 11f was simply wonderful and I have no reason to think that there would be any difference in photo quality with a new Leica.

Last edited by lesmore49; 08-03-2017 at 03:13 PM.
08-03-2017, 03:35 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At the time of purchase i was also looking at the D750.

Now that I have year of k-1 experience, I can appreciate running with a smaller/lighter kit. I love the abilities of the k-1 though.

My ideal camera
A9 body
Fuji xt2 top dials (add an aperture dial)
A7rii or k-1 sensor
A9 AF
Pixel shift/astro trader/IBIS
K-1 screen tilting mechanism
08-03-2017, 03:53 PM - 6 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd be waiting for the (long rumoured) release of the K-1.
08-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
what would you buy? After this morning, it would probably be the Sony A9. It was the most expensive camera I have ever held and fit my large hands well with the grip attached plus the sound of 20FPS was intoxicating as was the almost utter silence of the shutter. I'd love to see a Pentax mirrorless option. I also realized that the body cost $3k less than two of my road bikes and just under a few hundred less than two of my guitars.
Since I have the Sony A7II, I would probably just go completely mirrorless if Ricoh didn't come out with the K-1. I don't think the A9 is a $4,500 camera. It is probably over priced by $1,000. When the A7III comes out I will see how much of the A9 technology they put into it. If they were to build a larger, higher quality body around the A9 technology I might by that for $4,500.

Last edited by Winder; 08-03-2017 at 04:37 PM.
08-03-2017, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

For me it doesn't matter. Pentax took sooo long to bring out a full frame that I've gotten use to APS-C and enjoy it. My Full Frame is Film
08-03-2017, 08:05 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I would have kept going with a K-mount APS system for a little while longer until something like u4/3 caught up.
08-03-2017, 08:10 PM   #30
Site Supporter

I'd still have my K3.