Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2017, 01:36 PM   #1

Pentax K1 Questions : Live view softness (?) & Screen Loupe

I'm considering buying a K1 & have two questions for any K1 user, both concerning Live View:
Unfortunately I haven't seen one so I'm canvassing for opinions

1 DPReview reported that Live View is extremely soft on the K1 (their words:

Special K? Pentax K-1 Review: Digital Photography Review

I can't find any mention of this elsewhere. Has any user experienced this? This would be a major minus as it impacts manual focusing.

2 Has anyone used a screen loupe? I know the Zacuto Z Finder doesn't fit. I'm hoping this GGS Swivi will work:

GGS | Swivi S2 Foldable Viewfinder

Thanks
Stephen Green

08-08-2017, 01:59 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you referring to this paragraph...

QuoteQuote:
It's also worth noting that the Live-view image preview is extremely soft, so manually focusing without Focus Peaking enabled can be a very tricky ordeal. Getting things pin-sharp is critical with the K-1's large 36MP sensor, and even more so when the Pixel Shift shooting modes are enabled.
You got me...perhaps the screen was smudged with cheek grease. If this was a user observation on this site, the conventional advice would be to enable focus peaking (a simple task using the info screen) or magnify live view for 1:1 pixel mapping at the rear LCD resolution.

Steve
08-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They added the electronic shutter in the meantime. Now, when conditions allow and the lens is sharp, we get more details than needed.
08-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #4
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The screen is no different to my K01 screen. When you switch focus peaking off you often get a sense of softness till your mind accustoms itself.
I use a Swivi S3
Aftermarket LCD Viewfinder for K1 - PentaxForums.com

08-08-2017, 02:12 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think what they're possibly referring to is shutter induced vibrations, the solution is to use the new electronic shutter option. Also on some cameras it's a non issue, while on others it can be noticeable between about 1/90 and 1/180.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-08-2017, 02:14 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Used LV many times on the k1. Have no problem obtaining critical focus using only my eyes. As Steve pointed out you can use the 100% view for ultra critical focus.

Have not felt the need to use Focus peaking or Contrast detection Af when using LV
08-08-2017, 02:44 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think what they're possibly referring to is shutter induced vibrations, the solution is to use the new electronic shutter option. Also on some cameras it's a non issue, while on others it can be noticeable between about 1/90 and 1/180.
The quoted text is a little ambiguous. I took it to mean the actual live view display. Do you think they were referring to the digital DOF preview?

Either way, I have not seen the rear display quality as a common complaint on this site.

Steve

08-08-2017, 03:02 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The quoted text is a little ambiguous. I took it to mean the actual live view display. Do you think they were referring to the digital DOF preview?

Either way, I have not seen the rear display quality as a common complaint on this site.

Steve
Definitely not, I'd say on the contrary the screen is quite good.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't have any issues with lv. I use it for all landscape or any other tripod shots, lv with es enabled for maximum precision. One thing I wish they had is better/more customizable peaking, current one is sometimes confusing, especially with uwa lenses since a lot of an image in the distance would be in focus, judging just how much in focus it is can be a bit of a pain with peaking.
08-08-2017, 03:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot;4064038, quoting DPR:
It's also worth noting that the Live-view image preview is extremely soft, so manually focusing without Focus Peaking enabled can be a very tricky ordeal.
dpreview are being a bit silly, as usual. And critical of Pentax just because.

LiveView is not any 'softer' on the K-1 than it is on any other camera I've used.

LiveView viewed via the rear-LCD display of most cameras is, after all, never a HD capable display. A ~1.2 million dot rear LCD like that found on most current cameras (including the K-1, D810, D750, Canon 5D4, and Sony A7R2), is usually a mere 3:2 640x480 RGBW VGA display. The rear LCD is certainly never the same 'resolution' as one would see with a full HD or UHD computer monitor, nor can it capture the same visible detail of an optical viewfinder, or even most EVF's.

Having said all that, LiveView in the K-1 gives a photographer access to many focus aids to easily overcome any limitations of the low-res rear display, from 16X magnification of the focus target, to focus peaking, to very fast and competent face detection.
08-08-2017, 05:33 PM   #11

Original Poster
Are you referring to this paragraph...

You got me...perhaps the screen was smudged with cheek grease. If this was a user observation on this site, the conventional advice would be to enable focus peaking (a simple task using the info screen) or magnify live view for 1:1 pixel mapping at the rear LCD resolution.

Steve
Yes. As I said it's the only mention of this I've seen anywhere. Eventually I'll have to find one & look for myself.

---------- Post added 08-09-17 at 01:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
They added the electronic shutter in the meantime. Now, when conditions allow and the lens is sharp, we get more details than needed.
I don't really understand this. Can you elaborate?

---------- Post added 08-09-17 at 01:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
The screen is no different to my K01 screen. When you switch focus peaking off you often get a sense of softness till your mind accustoms itself.
I use a Swivi S3
Aftermarket LCD Viewfinder for K1 - PentaxForums.com
Useful to know re the loupe. Hopefully a Swivi S3 will fit too.
08-08-2017, 06:30 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Forum Member

Well it is if you forget to pull off the protective plastic layer.....

P.S. it actually happened to me more than once.
08-09-2017, 02:52 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sdgreen Quote
Originally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I don't really understand this. Can you elaborate?
When in LV you can opt to use ES...Electronic Shutter. The start of the exposure is now no longer controled by the first curtain, but by electrically telling the sensor to start recording the exposure. The exposure is finished by the second curtain closing in the normal way. This means that you cannot get shutter-shock induced blur in your picture (which can occur, depending on lens, in the 1/30-1/180 range) when using a tripod. As Live View obviously also captures with the mirror in the up position, ES is the best way to ensure a perfect photo when using a tripod.