Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-15-2017, 01:15 PM   #1
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

CIF works properly again

This might be old news to seasoned K-1 owners, but one of the first things I tried when my new-to-me K-1 arrived today was to test catch-in-focus combined with back-button focus. And joy of joys, finally I have on-demand CIF again!

As long as I keep the AF button depressed the shutter will not fire unless I get focus confirmation. Let go of the AF button, and the shutter fires regardless of focus or not. So no more need to dedicate a user mode for CIF

I think I like this camera

08-15-2017, 05:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
This might be old news to seasoned K-1 owners, but one of the first things I tried when my new-to-me K-1 arrived today was to test catch-in-focus combined with back-button focus. And joy of joys, finally I have on-demand CIF again!

As long as I keep the AF button depressed the shutter will not fire unless I get focus confirmation. Let go of the AF button, and the shutter fires regardless of focus or not. So no more need to dedicate a user mode for CIF

Too bad this doesn't work that way with the K3 !
08-15-2017, 06:40 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That is cool! I am surprised that it took this long for someone to discover the subtle change to the back button AF behavior.

Steve
08-15-2017, 07:42 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is cool! I am surprised that it took this long for someone to discover the subtle change to the back button AF behavior.

Steve
I've been doing that all along but it never occurred to me to post about it

08-15-2017, 08:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Does this feature work with any lens?
08-15-2017, 10:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
ya seriously, I had to switch to back button cancel instead of back button af. I'm used to it now though.
08-15-2017, 11:05 PM   #7
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Yes, quite annoying. Especially since it does work with the K-5.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Indeed! I was really happy to see that they have fixed this issue on the K-1. It really makes it much more enjoyable, for me at least, to shoot manual lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I've been doing that all along but it never occurred to me to post about it

QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
Does this feature work with any lens?
No, only manual focus lenses. And any AF lens that has an AF/MF switch, I suppose, although I don't think I have tried that.

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
ya seriously, I had to switch to back button cancel instead of back button af. I'm used to it now though.
Never occurred to me that doing it "backwards" would work. Interesting. Oh well, I now have a camera that works properly again

08-16-2017, 02:25 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats on the new camera. I'm looking forward to the shots you post with it.
08-16-2017, 03:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It works on the KP also, I use it regularly.
08-16-2017, 03:42 AM   #10
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Congrats on the new camera. I'm looking forward to the shots you post with it.
Thanks! I hope to get around to taking some images soon. Starting in a new job doesn't leave much time... But then the new job was my excuse for buying the K-1, so I shouldn't complain

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
It works on the KP also, I use it regularly.
Good to hear. It seems the K-3 is the odd one out, then. Just too bad Ricoh never got around to fix the issue there.
08-16-2017, 04:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Never occurred to me that doing it "backwards" would work. Interesting. Oh well, I now have a camera that works properly again
There's an additional benefit of doing it backwards. I don't have to teach whoever I hand the camera to that AF is a separate button. A lot of times the picture came out blurry cuz of it in the past.
08-16-2017, 06:53 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Now if only we could select the focus point....
07-14-2022, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #13

Not true about working with any AF lens with M switch, have had to put an extension tube between camera and lens with Siga 50-150 and Tamron SP Di 90mm f2.8 macro. Have had to do that with other Sigma lenses as well. Did see something once on blanking out the Data pin with tape would get round doing what i do but not sure which pin that is.
07-21-2022, 02:42 PM   #14
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redbusa Quote
Not true about working with any AF lens with M switch, have had to put an extension tube between camera and lens with Siga 50-150 and Tamron SP Di 90mm f2.8 macro. Have had to do that with other Sigma lenses as well. Did see something once on blanking out the Data pin with tape would get round doing what i do but not sure which pin that is.
Ok, thanks for testing it - I never have. The way I shoot I haven't really found a use case for it. When AF does the work I see no need to switch to MF, and if AF fails to do the work it wouldn't make sense to switch to MF and still rely on the AF sensor. I'm not very good at manual focusing without visual aids (like a split screen), so CIFis my crutch when I "have to" use a MF lens and struggle with nailing the focus. Or, if I'm useing a tripod, I use live view with magnification to make focusing easier.

We're lucky to have a lot of options to choose from