Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-17-2017, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax XG-1 or K-1, can you tell?

Slightly different times so different colour...

I just can't get the same colour our of the XG-1, but then, I did pay $200 for it instead of $2500.

Last edited by normhead; 08-17-2017 at 02:19 PM.
08-17-2017, 09:40 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's not just the colors- the fine details in the trees give it away even more. Quite a big difference! That was some money well spent

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-17-2017, 09:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's not just the colors- the fine details in the trees give it away even more. Quite a big difference! That was some money well spent
I'm sure the jpeg vs raw and the resultant difference in colour depth is also a factor. I still love the XG-1 for snapshots, but the K-1 is clearly way ahead for low light and wide dynamic range photos.
08-17-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
Forum Member

They're both nice pictures with atmosphere, Norm. For me that's what really matters, no matter what camera was used to capture them.You can buy good cameras, but you can't buy good pictures.

08-17-2017, 10:19 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Pentax XG-1 or K-1, can you tell?
Yes, you can definitely tell That said... at normal viewing distances - and viewed sensibly (without the obsessive, hyper-critical pixel-peeping many of us here are guilty of - me included) - the XG-1 image is great. You certainly couldn't be unhappy with that from a camera that weighs next to nothing, has a 52x zoom lens and costs a fraction of what our DSLRs cost.

Lovely scene, by the way, and beautifully captured with both cameras
08-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I can tell the format is different, one has a 4:3 form factor, the other one has 3:2.
08-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I tell the difference in the photos I take now with the K1 vs the photos I didn't bother taking with something else.

08-17-2017, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DougieD Quote
They're both nice pictures with atmosphere, Norm. For me that's what really matters, no matter what camera was used to capture them.You can buy good cameras, but you can't buy good pictures.
You can also buy good pictures (from a store or craft sale), but I'm still not convinced I can leave the K-1 home and just use the XG-1

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yes, you can definitely tell That said... at normal viewing distances - and viewed sensibly (without the obsessive, hyper-critical pixel-peeping many of us here are guilty of - me included) - the XG-1 image is great. You certainly couldn't be unhappy with that from a camera that weighs next to nothing, has a 52x zoom lens and costs a fraction of what our DSLRs cost.

Lovely scene, by the way, and beautifully captured with both cameras
I have lots of images taken with the XG-1 that would not have been possible with the K-1, just because it's easy to keep with me and always ready.

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I can tell the format is different, one has a 4:3 form factor, the other one has 3:2.
Someone always finds a cheat.

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I tell the difference in the photos I take now with the K1 vs the photos I didn't bother taking with something else.
The K-1 certainly has that effect.

Last edited by normhead; 08-17-2017 at 07:11 PM.