Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-21-2017, 06:24 AM   #1

K1 LCD not turning on

Hi all, until 2 days ago my K1 was not giving me any issues. Today I tried it again and the LCD screen does not turn on, which means that I'm totally unable to access menus and review images. I tried turning the camera off and on again pressing the MENU button, to remove the battery for some minutes, to install the new driver (or at least I think I've done it: I followed all the steps but with no confirmation from the LCD panel).
Apart from this, the camera is working. With the Wi-Fi function on I can review the pictures using Image Sync on my phone. I also tried turning the led illumination on and it works also on the leds of the screen, so I'm sure that the cable that connects the camera to the LCD is not broken.
Does anyone have a suggestion to solve it? It would be much appreciated.

08-21-2017, 06:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lfq Quote
Hi all, until 2 days ago my K1 was not giving me any issues. Today I tried it again and the LCD screen does not turn on, which means that I'm totally unable to access menus and review images. I tried turning the camera off and on again pressing the MENU button, to remove the battery for some minutes, to install the new driver (or at least I think I've done it: I followed all the steps but with no confirmation from the LCD panel).
Apart from this, the camera is working. With the Wi-Fi function on I can review the pictures using Image Sync on my phone. I also tried turning the led illumination on and it works also on the leds of the screen, so I'm sure that the cable that connects the camera to the LCD is not broken.
Does anyone have a suggestion to solve it? It would be much appreciated.
Just sounds like it needs to be sent in for repair
08-21-2017, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Albums
Is it possible that you inadvertently turned off the rear screen? If so, switch on the camera and press the info button to toggle rear LCD info.

Hope it's as simple as this.
08-21-2017, 04:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

the LCD screen does not turn on
Pressing the INFO button a few times seems the most obvious option to test whether the rear LCD is still alive, or has simply been turned off.

Otherwise ...do you have something connected to the camera HDMI terminal?

Are you in LiveView? Are you in Movie mode or Still image mode? And do any of your settings for your mode dial (Auto, TAv etc) make a difference?

08-21-2017, 06:32 PM   #5
lfq

Original Poster
Hi rawr,
unfortunately, pressing the INFO button does not bring any life. I tried turning on LiveView, or changing to Movie mode, but same result: nothing happens. I was hoping there is some hard reset feature that brings the camera to factory default settings, but I'm afraid it does not exist.
08-21-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Can you HDMI output to a TV, to access the menus?
08-21-2017, 08:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You mentioned "installing a new driver"? Did you mean firmware update - did this problem show up right after that was installed?

08-26-2017, 02:32 AM   #8
lfq

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Can you HDMI output to a TV, to access the menus?
Unfortunately no, I am on holidays in Indonesia, so the most I can do access via Image Sync.
08-26-2017, 02:45 AM   #9
lfq

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
You mentioned "installing a new driver"? Did you mean firmware update - did this problem show up right after that was installed?
It happened after. I had firmware 1.40, so I tried installing 1.41 as a possible solution, but I can't be sure it installed properly, having done it blind. I followed a youtube video Step-by-Step, so theoretically it should be:
- install the SD card in slot 1 with the firmware update on the root menu
- turn on the camera while pressing MENU button
- Arrow Up
- OK
Am I right?
08-26-2017, 05:01 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately no, I am on holidays in Indonesia, so the most I can do access via Image Sync.
A hotel TV doesn't have HDMI?
09-04-2023, 03:53 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Well.... it happened to me this morning.... I panicked !

Everything seemed to work ok but no display !

I turned if off, counted to 10 , turned it back on and it was ok.

09-04-2023, 05:26 PM   #12
Pentaxian

It could be a bad battery (especially if it's a non-Pentax battery). Try another battery, try a new battery, try a genuine Pentax battery.
09-04-2023, 06:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I only use pentax batteries.

What I did notice, when I put it back on the charger, it took 3-4 hours re recharge.

Usually my 2-3 hours walk in the park usually requires less than 1 hour.

Battery is dated 2018..... fairly new.

But I will take note of the batteries ( I have 4 pentax batteries). Maybe 1 of them is going kaput on me.
09-05-2023, 10:57 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
A hotel TV doesn't have HDMI?
You need a special cable with the small HDMI to connect the camera, not a common cable.

---------- Post added 09-05-23 at 10:59 AM ----------

Do you have a battery grip on the camera? (I guess not but have to ask...)
09-05-2023, 04:31 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TheSwede Quote
You need a special cable with the small HDMI to connect the camera, not a common cable.
Obviously you need the correct cable.

But with the LCD screen not working it's important to diagnose the reason.