08-23-2017, 07:26 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good call. Save up and buy a trouble-free camera

08-23-2017, 07:41 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree. You'll be much better off in the long run, and don't forget there are some sweet APS-C cameras from Pentax as well.
08-23-2017, 11:05 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree with what clickclick says... there are some really nice APS-C cameras made by Pentax. I don't have a K-3, but I have used it, and I think it's amazing in quality. Every now and then you can find one for $400 or so on ebay (even on here too). As a person who was using a K-5 for a long time prior to purchasing the K-1... it is really nice to have an APS-C camera, just in case you need that extra reach. Unlike the K-5, the K-3 will also give more detail (24MP vs 15MP) than the cropped sensor. If you are thinking of eventually getting into FFrame, then just make sure that you buy FFrame-FA-DG-Di lenses, so you won't have to buy multiple lenses like I did.

Pentax cameras are the best though! I've never held a camera to match the ergonomics! As I continued to see the camera/K-1 posted on ebay, I did wonder how the person damaged the camera like that. I feel like all of the Pentax cameras (have owned: K1000, K-5, K-01, K-1) are built like tanks. You drop it, you can usually just pick it back up. For some reason the reviewers hate the menu-system, but I think it's the most simplistic of all of the systems (looking at you Olympus!)... with a passionate community. Maybe Canon/Nikon has a similar community (I wouldn't know?), but I doubt it. Welcome!
08-24-2017, 07:25 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll go ahead and add some data in to further relieve you from your decision. My K-1 survived a tripod blow-over without structural damage, but I still had to send it in to recalibrate the phase-detect (viewfinder) autofocus. If that one took a knock serious enough to do that damage, I'd say there was a high risk your AF would also sustain AF calibration issues.

08-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To get a camera like this, I'm going to want it repaired, and I didn't drop it, so , I'm not the one that should waste my time doing the repairs. That privilege should belong to the guy who dropped it. So, I would have paid $500 for it at most. I have often bought refurb equipment and for equipment of this value, I expect the object to be repaired as much and working, with at least a 30 day warranty, and at least $300 off. Less than that paying 1/4 of it's book value is a gamble.

But maybe that's why I never get anything from eBay.. I'm just too cheap. I bet you can fix that prism housing with black electrical tape.

Offer the guy $400.