Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2017, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Trading the 70-200L f4 for a Pentax lens would require an investment however,
You trade the 70-200 ƒ4 for the DA* 60-250 ƒ4. You get an amazing lens and an extra 60mm of zoom range.

08-30-2017, 11:10 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You trade the 70-200 ƒ4 for the DA* 60-250 ƒ4. You get an amazing lens and an extra 60mm of zoom range.
Good point, and it's a fantastic lens, but don't you have to do the baffle removal to be able to use it fully to the corners in the K-1?
08-30-2017, 11:37 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Good point, and it's a fantastic lens, but don't you have to do the baffle removal to be able to use it fully to the corners in the K-1?
If the little bit of vignetting every now and then bothers you, I've never bothered.
08-31-2017, 05:59 AM   #19
Veteran Member

With Pentax, there's less of an option in terms of what lenses you can use, so make sure you do like the options that are there.
this summarizes it somewhat.
Nikon e.g. is different from pentax in the way that there is more lens choice, in between affordable, smaller, F-stop, weight vs more expensive higher end optics. For now, the pentax new FF range seem to be about the highest quality & corresponding price/weight/Fstop.

But in the other comments, there are some examples of less expensive options in the pentax stable, either in the form of prime lenses, AF or MF, old or new or, for zooms, solutions alike the 60-250. So all is at hand when looking into the less obvious comparisons to the canon lenses that the OP currently has.

imo, something to take into account is that bodies last longer nowadays. they evolve less fast than some years ago. So when choosing a system, realize that you will probably hold on to that same body for quite long.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dirtfisher Quote
What would you all do in my situation?
In answer to your original question, "i" would just sell everything & go for either nikon/pentax & not replace all focals of the canon lenses at once..
I have a hard time understanding though that there is no canon body that will do the job, so i figure there are other reasons as well as to why you are not fond of canon anymore.
I recall though, after playing with the K1 & manipulating some raw files, i was hugely impressed (compared to K3) with how much i could get from ridiculously underexposed files.
But i'd definitely stay away from mixing systems.

08-31-2017, 06:06 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
But i'd definitely stay away from mixing systems.
Exactly why so many of us waited so long for the K-1 to arrive.
09-02-2017, 07:39 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Long story short, I cannot decide whether to get a K-1, or an A7R II. My biggest hangup is the fact that I already own 3 nice Canon lenses, and could continue to use them adapted on the Sony. I like everything about the K-1, but not the reality of rebuying lenses. What would you all do in my situation?
I guess it depends on what you primarily shoot. The K-1 is definitely better built and the better value. Pixel shift is a great feature if you do certain types of photography. I have the K-1 and the A7II, but I have played with the A7RII a good bit now and might pick one up as prices fall. I prefer shooting with the K-1 most of the time. The user experience is better in my opinion. That said, the A7rII has better AF and if you shoot portraits or events where people are your primary subjects, the face recognition and eye AF are major advantages. Even with the A7II I have to screw up to get the eyes out of focus.

I really don't like the loud shutter of the A7 line. Its loud and clunky. Makes the camera seem cheap. Build quality of the A7 line is average at best. When shooting in high humidity (not rain) my read LCD will get a little fog inside of it. If you are use to the professional grade build quality of Pentax cameras, the A7 line will see rather toy-ish.

Sony lenses are very good, but very expensive. If you like to shoot manual focus lenses, then go with the A7rII. Actually regardless of manual focus or auto-focus, the A7rII is better. AF tracking is better on the A7rII and manual focus is easier on the A7rII. The K-1 isn't bad, its just not as fast and tracking is nearly as good. It you are adapting Canon glass you will need a really good adaptor if you want decent AF on the Sony. I have not used one recently, and they are always improving, but the AF with adaptors on the A7rII is not as good and the K-1. Well, at least with the adaptor and lens that I tried it with. Other combinations might give better performance.

As far as the images and the quality, both cameras are simply amazing and you can get professional results with either one.
09-03-2017, 09:25 PM   #22

Original Poster
Thank you everyone. I've decided to get a K-1. I'm not yet sure if I'll hold on to my Canon lenses or sell them. Maybe after I'm firmly settled in with the Pentax ecosystem.

09-04-2017, 08:12 AM   #23

Original Poster
I just bought a used K-1 from an ebay seller in the UK for nearly $500 off retail. It has a shutter count of about 2000, and was described as being in mint condition with pictures to back up the claim. It also came with a 12 month warranty. The seller has a ton of positive reviews, and is in the high end used camera market. Anything I should be concerned about with a UK market K-1?
09-04-2017, 03:33 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Anything I should be concerned about with a UK market K-1?
The controls are on the opposite side of the camera.

Just like on our cars
09-04-2017, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote

Just like on our cars
I found out it was originally a US market camera, so no driving on the wrong side.
09-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I just bought a used K-1 from an ebay seller in the UK for nearly $500 off retail. It has a shutter count of about 2000, and was described as being in mint condition with pictures to back up the claim. It also came with a 12 month warranty. The seller has a ton of positive reviews, and is in the high end used camera market.
Congrats on your purchase. I AM JEALOUS!
09-06-2017, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Lucky its not an Aussie model, ya gota stand on your head to use them!
09-06-2017, 02:27 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Please tell me you tested 5D Mark IV. I'm not much of a fan of lab tests, but if you look at DXO scores, the 0.3 Evs difference in dynamic range between Canon 5D Mark IV and Sony A7R II is not going to be visible in real life shooting conditions. 5D Mark IV has 13.6 Evs in dynamic range while A7R II has 13.9 Evs.
That's good info. I wouldn't put too much stock in pixel shift. It occasionally produces a stunning image, but it is futzy. Whether or not you have the discipline to make it work is a big factor. My advice would be if you have Canon lenses try the appropriate Canon bodies first. IMHO there isn't enough difference between systems to justify a change based on what others think. I recently had one of my trade show aquaintences switch to a D810 from a Canon FF system I can't remember which one. He raves about the increased dynamic range but quite honestly, I look at his images and there's not a lot of difference. I can't tell which were his with his old system and which were shot with a D810. Once you go to levels and adjust the DR of the output, they all look pretty much the same.