Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2017, 10:19 PM   #1

Yet another should I buy a K-1 thread

Long story short, I cannot decide whether to get a K-1, or an A7R II. My biggest hangup is the fact that I already own 3 nice Canon lenses, and could continue to use them adapted on the Sony. I like everything about the K-1, but not the reality of rebuying lenses. What would you all do in my situation?

08-29-2017, 10:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dirtfisher Quote
Long story short, I cannot decide whether to get a K-1, or an A7R II. My biggest hangup is the fact that I already own 3 nice Canon lenses, and could continue to use them adapted on the Sony. I like everything about the K-1, but not the reality of rebuying lenses. What would you all do in my situation?
Go with where your lenses are leading you, Dirtfisher - the A7R!

I have an EF adapter for my A7 and while it's disappointing, it does most of what it's supposed to do.

Of course, if you have great K-mount lenses, their best match up is going to be with the K-1.
08-29-2017, 10:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Will you lose a ton of money flipping those canon lenses? Are they fantastic and irreplaceable, or just good pieces you've gotten used to? Could a 5DmIV do the deed? Or the mk3 or the 6Dmk2 for that matter? Are the lenses you'd be replacing available in the Pentax system? The Sony system? What makes you want to switch to Pentax or Sony?

I often go down rabbit holes of gear lust. Then I go out and shoot and remember how much I like my lenses, their rendering, and the results I get. I've made 24x36" prints with my k-30 that look good and 11x17's are astoundingly good. I'm getting what I want and need, so why switch it all up?
08-29-2017, 11:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

What would you all do in my situation?
Depends what sort of photography you do for a start?...Could you mention what the intended use is?

08-29-2017, 11:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

this is all a bit vague, no?
No one has a clue what your situation is.
Go for the long story.
my 2cents.. ;-)
08-29-2017, 11:49 PM   #6

Original Poster
Yeah, sorry about the vagueness. I'm getting back into landscape photography after a long break. I currently have a Canon 5D original, and three lenses, the 17-40mm f/4L, 24-105mm f/4L, and 70-200mm f/4L. On account of Canon's horrible dynamic range, I'm not interested in any of their current bodies. I'd much prefer to keep my lenses, which is why the A7R II with Metabones adapter is on my short list. The Sony+adapter is a bit more than I'd like to spend, but getting the K-1 and lenses would cost even more. I'm not sure what else to say. I like everything about the K-1, and I think pixel shift might be a game changer, but the A7R II will allow me to retain my current lenses, and is physically smaller which I also like. I'm starting to think I can't go wrong either way.
08-30-2017, 12:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you lenses such as 85mm 1.4 and longer, it's doesn't make sense to use a Sony Alfa, because the small size is irrelevant and it comes along with drawbacks such as poor battery life, poor ergonomics, poor weather sealing and overheating. If you really like the K1 specs and what it can do, you could wait a couple of months to see how is the "commitment" of Ricoh to the Pentax brand. Then, if Ricoh does not show any progress with their road map, get a Canon 5DIV since you already have lenses, after all taking a couple of bracketed shots fused in post give better results than pulling the shadows out of a Sony sensor image, I'm telling you from experience, when you pull the shadows the colors are dull even if the DXO give a good DR score in the charts, for landscape it is much better to fuse multiple exposures.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-30-2017 at 12:06 AM.
08-30-2017, 01:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Yeah, sorry about the vagueness. I'm getting back into landscape photography after a long break. I currently have a Canon 5D original, and three lenses, the 17-40mm f/4L, 24-105mm f/4L, and 70-200mm f/4L.
The only good lens is the 70-200mm f4L lens. There are tons of lenses better than 17-40mm and 24-105mm for landscape.

On account of Canon's horrible dynamic range, I'm not interested in any of their current bodies. I'd much prefer to keep my lenses, which is why the A7R II with Metabones adapter is on my short list.
Please tell me you tested 5D Mark IV. I'm not much of a fan of lab tests, but if you look at DXO scores, the 0.3 Evs difference in dynamic range between Canon 5D Mark IV and Sony A7R II is not going to be visible in real life shooting conditions. 5D Mark IV has 13.6 Evs in dynamic range while A7R II has 13.9 Evs.

The Sony+adapter is a bit more than I'd like to spend, but getting the K-1 and lenses would cost even more. I'm not sure what else to say. I like everything about the K-1, and I think pixel shift might be a game changer, but the A7R II will allow me to retain my current lenses, and is physically smaller which I also like. I'm starting to think I can't go wrong either way.
K1 is the best cameras for landscape if you compare it to 5D Mark IV and A7R II due to its features like astrotracer, pixel shift.

08-30-2017, 02:46 AM   #9

Buy the K-1 sell off your canon lenses and buy Pentax lenses. To help lower cost buy used equipment. For landscape I highly recommend the DFA 15-30mm f2.8. I believe right now on the marketplace there are a couple k-1s a couple DFA 15-30mm and a couple of DFA 24-70mm f2.8 available.
08-30-2017, 03:11 AM   #10
Pentaxian

K-1, or an A7R II. My biggest hangup is the fact that I already own 3 nice Canon lenses,
Why do you have three different brands? I think you need to make a list of your priorities and then find the one brand that fits best. Then sell the gear that doesn't fit and get the gear that you need.
Dual systems and adapters can often be a headache and are not cheap.
08-30-2017, 03:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Maybe you should get a Canon 6D/6D Mk II instead. DSLR vs Mirrorless is EVF vs OFV. Battery life. Size and Weight. Adapting Canon lenses to a A7II will not be ideal. The A7R II will probably focus a lot better with adapted Canons. Or sell your lenses and fund some Pentax glass with it.
08-30-2017, 05:46 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

As the X-owner of the Sony A7Rii I would strongly recommend not buying it. The image quality is very good, but there are major drawbacks to the A7Rii. First, is the battery life. There is a reason it ships with two batteries. Second is a very complicated menu system. Third is the black out of the viewfinder when shooting in the continues mode. Definitely not a sports or action camera. Fourth, highlights are clipped in still shots. Fifth, the dynamic range and noise of the A7Rii is not equal to the K-1. Sixth, the new Sony G Master lens are large and make the balance of the camera lacking, and they are expensive. Seventh is the overheating issue.

Owning a Sony A7Rii to me was like owning a boat. The two best days of ownership are when you buy it and when you sell it.

Love the K-1. Probably the best landscape camera going.
08-30-2017, 06:52 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

MY photography instructor once said "find the lens you love and buy the camera that goes with it." I'd be in the buy a 6D camp if it works with your lenses. Buying a Sony system to use Canon lenses, why are you even thinking that?

We have a host of users who bought Sony cameras to use their full frame Pentax lenses, who also bought a K-1 as soon as it came out. Personally, I prefer taking images to playing around with adapters etc. One of the big questions is how do I simplify my work flow? Using camera and lens that were actually designed to work together does that.
08-30-2017, 07:42 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If your interest is landscape, I would probably choose between the 5D MK IV and the K-1. People have mentioned the 6D/6D II, but it feels like those cameras aren't as good from a landscape standpoint, but 5D IV looks pretty good. Of course, it is enough more expensive compared to the K-1, at least in the US, that you could afford a DFA 15-30 and k-1 for the same price as just the 5D IV body alone. I would go with that combined with the DFA 28-105 for the K-1.

In the end, you have to figure out what will work best for you and how much you like your current lenses.
08-30-2017, 09:26 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Difficult decision. I think with the Sony, it's a temporary solution because using adapted lenses isn't the full experience that you wish for at that price range. In the end you'd end up trading the Canon lenses for Sony equivalents - and spending a lot more in the process.

With Pentax, there's less of an option in terms of what lenses you can use, so make sure you do like the options that are there. You would save about 800 dollars by going with the Pentax body compared to a new A7RII, so that's money that can be used towards upgrading the lenses.

The 24-105L could be substituted by the DFA 28-105 for a similar cost.
The 17-40L would have to be substituted by the DFA 15-30, and that's where most of the 800 dollar savings would go...
Trading the 70-200L f4 for a Pentax lens would require an investment however, because the only zoom in the game is the DFA* 70-200 f2.8 - unless you went with the DA*200 f2.8, which would maybe bring the investment need down, and give you an extra stop of light in the process... at the loss of flexibility of the zoom (but also giving you a more compact lens).

Another interesting option somewhat within what you are thinking of spending, would be a Nikon D800 with a trio of Tamron lenses (15-30, 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8).

There are lots of interesting options out there! Either way you're going to see a big upgrade from where you are now.