Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2017, 03:54 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sensor Gel Stick on Pentax K-1

I've got quite a bit of dust on my Pentax K-1 sensor and I'm looking for the best way to clean it. The automatic cleaning function of the sensor and a rocket blaster have not been able to remove some of the dust. I live in Angola so sending it off really isn't practical.

I'm curious about the Sensor Gel Sticks since Pentax used to sell them. I have the following questions:
  1. I'm concerned about using the sticks on the image stabilizing sensor. Does anyone have any long term experience with using the gel sticks on one of Pentax's IS sensors? Is there any guidance from Ricoh/Pentax on this? Although Pentax sold them in the past, I'm not sure whether it continued for long after IS sensors were placed in Pentax Cameras.
  2. Assuming it is OK to use in a K-1, would I use the red/orange stick for specific Sony sensors or the general blue stick.

Thanks for any input.

08-31-2017, 04:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I use gel stick on my K5 and K3, not a problem so far. I think it doesn't matter what brand it is.
I have never seen the actual dust when look directly at the sensor, but I can see it when take photo. So I have to a kind of guess where they are. I "don't advice to drag" the stick over sensor's surface.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 09-01-2017 at 12:01 AM.
08-31-2017, 05:20 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used the O-ICK1 Pentax-branded stick to remove stubborn dust spots from my K-1. It is available new from major online retailers like Adorama and B&H. I recommend using a lighted sensor Loupe to illuminate the dust particles. The technique is to be extremely gentle and to touch the stick to the cleaning pad after each time you touch the sensor.

When in sensor cleaning mode the IS system locks the sensor in place.
08-31-2017, 11:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used an Eyelead gel stick on all my Pentax DSLRs including my K-1. Works great. No problems.

09-01-2017, 05:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm new to sensor cleaning myself, and recently used a gel stick (I forget the brand) to clean the spots from my K10D sensor (which has shake reduction), and it worked wonderfully.

However, just a few days ago, I attempted to clean the sensor on my K110D (w/o shake reduction), and I seem to have made its spots worse. Thought I used the same technique. Baffled. May have to try the damp swab method next on it, I guess.
09-01-2017, 06:36 AM   #6

Original Poster
Which color? Blue or red/orange?

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I've used an Eyelead gel stick on all my Pentax DSLRs including my K-1. Works great. No problems.
09-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kthornsberry Quote
Which color? Blue or red/orange?
blue.
09-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #8
KDD
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried to clean my sensor but it stubborn. I gave up. I sent it to repair camera in Everett WA. They cleaned it successfully. WOW SENSOR VERY CLEAN. Only I paid it for $70. Their clean is SECRET!!!

09-16-2017, 03:07 AM   #9

Well, no more gel stick for me.

After reading this thread I bought the eyelead gel stick because I had two spots showing on every picture taken with every lens I have.

Even though I was very careful and respected every direction my sensor literally shattered on one spot.
Furthermore I didn't even get rid of the two old spots...

Now I have to get the sensor replaced and the Pentax shop salesman couldn't even tell me the price of the servicing since it's the first time it happens to one of their K1 customers.

The camera is still usable provided I spend ten minutes heal brushing every single pic in photoshop I guess... Problem is I do a lot of focus stacking and this will for sure cause problems in that situation.

I'm devastated.
09-16-2017, 07:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by probez Quote
my sensor literally shattered on one spot
Post a sample pic? "Shatter" seems unlikely from a gel stick.
09-16-2017, 09:54 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I might be wrong, but isn't there a UV/IR reject filter in front of the sensor? Isn't that what actually becomes contaminated and shows spots? A "shattered sensor" doesn't make sense for that reason and the fact that the sensor is fairly tough (though not scratch resistant).
11-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by probez Quote
Well, no more gel stick for me.

After reading this thread I bought the eyelead gel stick because I had two spots showing on every picture taken with every lens I have.

Even though I was very careful and respected every direction my sensor literally shattered on one spot.
Furthermore I didn't even get rid of the two old spots...

Now I have to get the sensor replaced and the Pentax shop salesman couldn't even tell me the price of the servicing since it's the first time it happens to one of their K1 customers.

The camera is still usable provided I spend ten minutes heal brushing every single pic in photoshop I guess... Problem is I do a lot of focus stacking and this will for sure cause problems in that situation.

I'm devastated.
I'd be devastated too.
11-20-2017, 11:32 PM   #13

I've been using the Gel sticks for a few years (initially on my canon bodies) and have cleaned both my 645z and K1 sensors. No problems and it always works though it sometimes takes a couple of goes to get rid of stubborn spots. To hear that your sensor filter shattered is somewhat concerning though, I'll be extra careful in the future and not do any cleaning when I know I really need the camera - like on a trip.
12-14-2017, 05:02 AM   #14

I was afraid at first but I tried the Eyelead blue on the K30 first and then on the K1.
Works like a charm, takes a few minutes and had no issues at all. Sensor as clean as new.
I finally decided to give it a go as I do time-lapses and fixing 300 shots for some dust spots is really not fun...
Just curious: what did you do to have your sensor "shattered" by a gummy gel cube on the tip of a plastic stick? I mean, it takes some serious beating to break that glass in front of the sensor...
12-14-2017, 06:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Perhaps there was a fault in the glass material, some tension that required only a little force to break?

A photo of the broken sensor would be interesting, I agree!