Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #1

To K-1 or not to K-1

I have been using this forum for for many months, learning and growing. I'm in a bind. I purchased the K-S2 back in March to see how I would like photography and if I should be taking it seriously. Well I love photography and I am taking it seriously. Started with random shots that led to competitions that led to other opportunities that led to paid opportunities. On my own I love using the old primes and for the paid gigs like weddings I am using the kit lens, 85mm, 50mm, 135mm and 200mm. The kit lens has to go so that is issue number 1. I only started using it for weddings for the wide range. I get good shots, but I know there is more to be desired. I get quality out of the K-S2 with the primes, how much difference would I see with the K-1? If not the K-1 right this second what spectacular lens is out there that I should replace the kit lens with. Is the new 28-105 or 24-70 better than what has come out in the past? Or is it just desired for the full frame? Lots of questions, I'm still learning all the ins and outs. Thank you all.

09-07-2017, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Better glass and technique is the way to go, StarkRavingMad, along with anything that will improve the quality of light in your images - flash and diffusers like a softbox or beauty dish, for instance.

I can suggest the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 as one candidate to replace your kit lens.

For extra width, you can add the DA 12-24 to your arsental, too.
09-07-2017, 05:33 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To keep things simple, yes the new zooms blow the old FF ones out of the water. FF opens up a lot of possibilities but the question is what, if anything, is holding you back other than the kit lens, which you could simply replace.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-07-2017, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I have to agree with this. My very best lens for my K-3! Probably the sharpest lens I've had. The user reviews are further confirmation.

09-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stark Raving Mad Quote
Lots of questions
Better lenses and a back up body for sure. I shot tons of weddings with an 8MP crop sensor! 24MP is plenty. Get yourself some pro class zooms and you are good to go. I owned the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and it was a stellar lens. Get yourself a Tamron 70-200 and put each one on a separate body and you can shoot almost all of your weddings with the combo. For wedding work I shot f2.8 or faster lenses exclusively. You have to think about a flash system too.
09-07-2017, 08:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you're going to continue to do weddings, I would stick with your current camera and look to get better lenses as well as a second camera. When I've shot weddings, I liked having a second body for a different focal length or maybe one had a flash trigger on it while the other had a fast lens. If you do buy additional lenses, try to get ones that are FF compatible so if you do make the switch, you'll have some glass already. You will find the k1 is an amazing camera, but based on what you're doing and what you have already, I think lenses and a body would be money better spent.
09-07-2017, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My advise is and will forever (until K-2) be to buy a K-1. After 8 Pentax DSLRs it is my favorite and has been since I got mine the day it was released.

09-07-2017, 10:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Sensor reveals the glass quality. Getting into full frame is not cheap, it's a long term investment. Better have a solid camera body to begin with and enhance photographic capability over time. If there is a sufficient budget, I'd rather suggest to get a K1 and then acquire the glass to get the most of it. Full frame for me was a desire, and triggered the purchase when I tried the K1. At the beginning it was a love and hate relationship with changes of user interface. Now after using only the K1 for more than a year, it was become a second nature to use it, I wouldn't go back to apsc. The only reason why I'd still use an crop sensor camera would be for shooting wildlife with a long lens. Other than that, when using the right setting and full sensor area of the K1, it shows in the images, there is an extra bit of smoothness that is enjoyable in the images it produces.
09-08-2017, 02:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

85mm, 50mm, 135mm and 200mm.
Seems like you are already well provided in the prime department. Those will all work on the K-1. Where did you get those lenses? Are they AF or Manual?
09-08-2017, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is the new 28-105 or 24-70 better than what has come out in the past? Or is it just desired for the full frame? Lots of questions
I have the DFA 28-105 and it rarely leaves my K-1. However if I was doing weddings, which I did years ago, I would not be without a 24-70 f2.8 lens. For landscape and other types of photography the 28-105 is excellent and I have no intention of getting the 24-70. The DFA 28-105 blows any lens away before it including the DA lenses. I have used many of them, I know. However these are full frame lenses and you really only want them if you are going full frame. I shots many weddings with my crop sensor cameras. It can be done no matter what anyone tells you.

This is sound advice and probably the way I would go for now. The Sigma lens is very affordable and still can be purchased new. Going to a full frame camera will open a lot of new possibilities but it will also mean learning how to use your lenses all over again. If you go with the K-1 you definitely will need the DFA 24-70 in my opinion. Full frame means bigger sensor, bigger heavier lenses, more dynamic range, bigger enlargements, and bigger price tags. Another option may be getting a K3 or K3ii. A flagship body will also give you more options.
09-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #11

Original Poster
Better glass and technique is the way to go, StarkRavingMad, along with anything that will improve the quality of light in your images - flash and diffusers like a softbox or beauty dish, for instance.

This was my first time posting and now my first time responding. Hope this goes under Clackers. Thank you for the recommendation. I've been eyeing that Sigma, but had never considered the 12-24. Good glass is what I'm going to focus on and an additional K-S2 so that I have two bodies for weddings. Then after that the K-1. At least that's what I'm thinking now. As to diffusers I just got the small one to cover a new external flash. Now I have to learn all the odds and ends of flash and diffusers! How does the Sigma 17-50 compare to the new Pentax 24-70. I know $$ and a change in the range, but otherwise?
09-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From my own experience in general (not weddings), and what others have pointed out, I think I'd start with an upgraded lens with the thought that a second body to supplement what you have is phase two. If you think the focal length range would work, buy something like the 28-105, and you can use it on both what you have now and a second full frame body later. Or to have more wide angle and speed, do something like the Sigma 17-50 now on the current body, and use the phase two FF body with your existing primes or other lenses you acquire later. The Sigma 17-50 at 2.8 seems like a really nice way to go given what else you have and what you are currently doing, and then start thinking of adding a full frame body later and using both.
09-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
To keep things simple, yes the new zooms blow the old FF ones out of the water. FF opens up a lot of possibilities but the question is what, if anything, is holding you back other than the kit lens, which you could simply replace.
Adam, you are correct, besides the kit lens I'm very happy. And that is not to say that I don't get good shots with the kit. My issue is that I know I need another camera body and zoom for weddings, so that I can have two set ups or worst case one goes down. Scorpio recommended the K-3 or K-3ii. I had never thought about that. I'm curious about either getting the sigma or the new 24-70 and just wait to get the K-1 later. I have enough to get the K-1 or a different body and lens. I want to spend wisely and I love Pentax.
09-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Adam, you are correct, besides the kit lens I'm very happy. And that is not to say that I don't get good shots with the kit. My issue is that I know I need another camera body and zoom for weddings, so that I can have two set ups or worst case one goes down. Scorpio recommended the K-3 or K-3ii. I had never thought about that. I'm curious about either getting the sigma or the new 24-70 and just wait to get the K-1 later. I have enough to get the K-1 or a different body and lens. I want to spend wisely and I love Pentax.
IMHO if you plan to professionally shoot weddings, the K-1/FF is a must. The 24-70mm would be a perfect start, and if/when things get more serious, you could tack on the D FA* 50mm or 85mm F1.4.

Depending on your timeframe getting the lens first and waiting for the K-1 might work out just fine

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-08-2017, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To shoot weddings you are going to need a significant upgrade in gear. APS-C is probably OK, but having nice glass and strobes (and knowing how to use them) are a must.

The big thing that the K-1 brings to the table is a significant boost in ability to shoot high iso while keeping noise down and dynamic range decent. That can be a life saver if you are shooting in pretty dark situations. It just feels like there are a number of other things that are also needed to get you there.