Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2020, 09:12 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
I had a similar issue with the battery in the grip of my K-3. Cleaned the contacts with deoxit D-5 and 2 weeks later all is still fine. It takes very little oxidation to upset these tiny contacts.
Thanks, I'll try that.

01-06-2020, 01:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Thanks for the input everyone.

New development

This morning I decided to measure the voltage on the dead battery and possibly try to revive it with a carefully limited trickle charge. When I measured the voltage it wasn't low - it was in microvolts which puzzled me because usually there will always be some small voltage present. At first I thought that some internal protection circuit may have opened, but I used my probes to scratch the surface of the battery contacts and then got a reading close to 6V! I decided to clean the contacts with IPA (no, not indian pale ale), and that did the trick. The charger accepted the battery and it's charging as I write.

There must have been some film that developed on the contacts while it was in the camera and that film was enough to break the contact connection (and then keep me from getting a reading). No moisture involved as I haven't had the camera or batteries in an moist location so not sure. Will keep this one in mind though so next time I will check the contacts first.

Anyway, no need for a replacement if the battery takes a charge and works in the camera again - will clean those contacts too, but will be sure to always keep a spare handy.
Good to know, if it happens to me. I have had a Wasabi die on me, but it was Wasabi, and I just chucked it.
01-06-2020, 05:26 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You all know this is a fairly old thread and wasn't generate lately. If you have a battery issue, you might start a new thread specific to your issue.

---------- Post added 01-06-2020 at 05:27 PM ----------

You all know this is a fairly old thread and wasn't generated lately. If you have a battery issue, you might start a new thread specific to your issue.
01-07-2020, 01:06 AM   #19

The Deoxit suggestion is a five star recommendation. I'm doing all my DLI90 batteries.
Thanks again mkgd1.

01-07-2020, 04:11 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
I had a similar issue with the battery in the grip of my K-3. Cleaned the contacts with deoxit D-5 and 2 weeks later all is still fine. It takes very little oxidation to upset these tiny contacts.
It gives me an idea.
Could it be used also in contactors of camera body?
01-07-2020, 07:45 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
It gives me an idea.
Could it be used also in contactors of camera body?
Yes, I used it in mine. The spray is a bit messy, so I sprayed a little on a Q tip and rubbed it on the contacts. Does not take much to do the job and once you apply some, making and breaking the contact does the cleaning job.