Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2018, 12:38 PM - 2 Likes   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I for one enjoy reading an opposing (and sometimes unpopular) opinion, I think it gives a more rounded impression of equipment that you cannot touch physically (unless you go to the store, and let's face it, not a lot of stores carry Pentax gear). One can make up their mind taking all the available data. Isn't it a nature of any debate? We can debate each other and others can get more info out of it. There's no need to go into personal insults imo

05-28-2018, 01:48 PM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
P.P.S. Your K-1 will do longer duration timed exposures in Bulb mode.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
If you refuse to use the timed bulb for up to 20min exposures, you're working against the camera - you're trying to make it "fail".
I didn't know about that feature, it's great!
Timed exposure on page 75 of the operating manual supports 10s to 20m (after the firmware update to 1.40 or higher).
05-28-2018, 02:12 PM - 2 Likes   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
This is funny. More like that 9/10 of buyers cannot admit they bought a lemon (dishonesty) and/or do not understand how to test their devices and rate them accordingly. I have carefully examined PF reviews for every K-mount lens I have bought only to find out that majority of reviewers suffer from the very same issue or have eyesight problems or have never seen competing brand offerings. Then a random guy wants to try out Pentax and hits the brick wall @ 200 mph after buying stuff based on highly rated, but in reality average items. Gosh! Then folks jump on that poor soul how (s)he is a failure and should have known better.
People write reviews based on their experience with other products. If you bought a Samyang tilt shift, it is probably because (a) you don't use it very much (b) don't have the finances for Canon/Nikon tilt shift or (c) are a hobby photographer and don't feel like is worth the expense to go "up scale." If people don't have your experience or needs and they happen to like a lens, that doesn't make them dishonest, it just means that they are different. I said in another thread that you are like a Formula One racer who test drives a Subaru Outback and then gives it a scathing review because of its dismal acceleration and cornering. But the reality is that the sports cars you drive are probably not as useful to the folks who are transporting three kids and some groceries from the store.

There definitely is some hyperinflation of review numbers, but I really believe that it is more based on people's experience with other top end lenses, rather than any intent to deceive. When I first started in photography I definitely didn't see the flaws in my gear that I do now. That still doesn't make it either junk or not useful.

Just understand that a lot of the folks on this Forum aren't professionals and don't have the experience that you have. They are still nice people who enjoy great images.

Can't we all just get along?
05-28-2018, 02:54 PM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Seriously, why are folks comparing sticks and stones with modern sniper rifles? It does not matter if K-1 has 3 pieces less noise than Sony X or Nikon Y. What matters is that one cannot buy modern T/S lenses, Sigma 14mm ART (or any Art) or Native Zeiss lenses for K-mount. One camp has delicous looking fruits in their basket but the other(s) also have delicious content inside those peels. Now which camp is which?
MJKoski image quality does matter. Isn't that your grip with the K-1MKII that the image quality is not good enough for you? Your "analysis" of the k-1MKII image quality isn't about the lenses you are using.

The biggest irony to the DPR K-1MKII review is not that the K-1MKII image quality is much better as ISO increases against the K-1, D850 and A7RIII which it has the thing that gets me is how similar the K-1, D850, and A7RII image quality compare to each other as ISO increases. The D850 and A7RIII even with their BSI and higher resolution sensors do not have better image quality than the K-1 especially when ISO increases. They are all about the same. So the answer to better high ISO performance really isn't found using BSI sensors. Ricoh/Pentax clearly has done something with the Accelerator Unit to outperform the 42mp BSI sensors.

It will be interesting to see what Ricoh/Pentax achieves when applying the Accelerator Unit to a BSI sensor.