Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 70 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2017, 03:45 PM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Having seen the RAW output from D850 I would not put it against K-1 with Pixel-Shift in technical sense. Nothing, except those modern MF backs, is able to reach quality of PS exposure where it can be used successfully.
Interesting to hear. Have not yet done any PS with my K1, and look forward to this fall. Since I've been shooting it side/by/side--under my 645Z I haven't felt like I needed to (given what I was using it for), but that is changing now, so I'm going to be doing some experiments.
QuoteQuote:
Nikon has major lens advantage though,
I hear this frequently. What *precisely* do you mean by it? And I'm not trying to start an argument, just interested in specifics, from your point of view. HINT: sheer numbers of lenses isn't arguable, obviously Nikon has that.

10-22-2017, 07:10 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Zeiss glass which works properly with live view shooting. Leitax is top quality mount replacement but the way adapted glass works now is total mess. Only thing which measures light somewhat correctly is Av mode which again fails with long exposures. Gimme FW fix for K-1 which properly measures light and histogram with fully manual lenses and in M-mode - I will buy K-1 again very quickly.

And then Nikon has PC-E lenses. But that is my 2 cents for my own purposes. 300mm PF lens I would select for telephoto landscapes.
10-22-2017, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Interesting to hear. Have not yet done any PS with my K1, and look forward to this fall. Since I've been shooting it side/by/side--under my 645Z I haven't felt like I needed to (given what I was using it for), but that is changing now, so I'm going to be doing some experiments. I hear this frequently. What *precisely* do you mean by it? And I'm not trying to start an argument, just interested in specifics, from your point of view. HINT: sheer numbers of lenses isn't arguable, obviously Nikon has that.
I'd say a large number of third part lens manufacturers such as Sigma and Tamron all releasing top glass for the nikon mount. It's nice to have alternatives) also ff k mount is still not fully realized even with first party glass, I guess that's the reason 50 1.4 and 85 1.4 threads on pf have hundreds of pages worth of discussions

I'd love to buy a slower uwa zoom (f4 or so) because I don't need a 2.8 for most of my work, but it's just not in the cards, and I have a feeling it won't be for at least 2-3 years. Somewhat frustrating, but I just get by with third party primes for now.
05-26-2018, 08:21 PM - 2 Likes   #79
Veteran Member

RE: K1 vs D850

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The increased price of the D850 once again demonstrates, high FPS and 4k video doesn't come cheap. Its great to have a system where you don't have to pay for those things if you don't want to. Choice is good.
For the same price as a D850 you ca get a K1 as well as a decent video camera that does 4k, no brainer, and as well how often does anybody use 9 FPS, Regards Ian

05-27-2018, 05:09 AM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by superpowerpinger Quote
Dynamic range analysis for Nikon D850 is out on DP review. This should be the part of complete review to be released at a later date.
Results from what I can see:

1. K-1 ISO 100 seems to be better than D810, D850 on ISO64.
2. K-1 with Pixel-shift wipes the floor with all other images.
Noise of K-1 is lower.
Nikon D850 vs Pentax K-1 vs Nikon D810

Last edited by angerdan; 05-27-2018 at 06:23 AM.
05-27-2018, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #81
Veteran Member

Seriously, why are folks comparing sticks and stones with modern sniper rifles? It does not matter if K-1 has 3 pieces less noise than Sony X or Nikon Y. What matters is that one cannot buy modern T/S lenses, Sigma 14mm ART (or any Art) or Native Zeiss lenses for K-mount. One camp has delicous looking fruits in their basket but the other(s) also have delicious content inside those peels. Now which camp is which?
05-27-2018, 07:25 AM - 4 Likes   #82
Pentaxian

Seriously, why are folks comparing sticks and stones with modern sniper rifles? It does not matter if K-1 has 3 pieces less noise than Sony X or Nikon Y. What matters is that one cannot buy modern T/S lenses, Sigma 14mm ART (or any Art) or Native Zeiss lenses for K-mount. One camp has delicous looking fruits in their basket but the other(s) also have delicious content inside those peels. Now which camp is which?
Seriously? Amazingly, nothing that you claim "is all that matters" is relevant to most.

Seriously, why are folks comparing sticks and stones with modern sniper rifles? It does not matter if K-1 has 3 pieces less noise than Sony X or Nikon Y. What matters to me even though the vast majority of Pentax shooters don't care at all about these things. is that one cannot buy modern T/S lenses, Sigma 14mm ART (or any Art) or Native Zeiss lenses for K-mount. One camp has delicous looking fruits in their basket but the other(s) also have delicious content inside those peels. Now which camp is which?
There fixed it for you.
You keep saying over and over again (ad nauseam) Pentax doesn't meet your needs. Yet here you are. Wat wid dat?

By the way, I've shot 8x10 film, 4x5 film, 645 film, 6x6 (120) film) 1.2, APS-c FF digital. The fact that Pentax doesn't do all of those things is not worth even mentioning. It meets some of my needs, no camera system meets all of them. Right tool for the job. Pentax doesn't do the job for you? All that post is, is you admitting you didn't buy into the right camera system. How long are you going to keep advertising this error in judgement?

You buy a camera system for what it does. The things it doesn't do in no way detracts from the things it does best.

A pixel shift from yesterday... somehow it doesn't matter to you that the final IQ probably blows away anything you'd get with a non pixel shift camera. This is called, using a system to it's strength. it's what real photographers do. Complaining about what a system doesn't do, that's amateur city. No one gets paid for knowing what a given camera doesn't do. You get paid for being able to exploit the strengths of the system.

This camera is great at what it does. What it doesn't do, maybe some other camera does. If i want what the other camera does, I still want this. I'll just add to my collection some system that does whatever it is I want. That in no way detracts from what Pentax does best.

Last edited by normhead; 05-27-2018 at 08:00 AM.
05-27-2018, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #83
Pentaxian

Seriously, why are folks comparing sticks and stones with modern sniper rifles?
It does not matter if K-1 has 3 pieces less noise than Sony X or Nikon Y.
What matters is that one cannot buy modern T/S lenses, Sigma 14mm ART (or any Art) or Native Zeiss lenses for K-mount.
One camp has delicous looking fruits in their basket but the other(s) also have delicious content inside those peels.
Now which camp is which?
Do you even know the K-1 ?
2 year old camera nearly with as good image quality as current and more expensive model is worth to mention.
1/3 ISO step lower noise is at least worth to mention.
Samyang 24mm T/S from 2012 is modern, since only optics and mechanics (no AF motor) can be judged. Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art is available since 2012. Modern Zeiss Lenses are still available used.
Everything else are opinions.
05-27-2018, 07:36 AM   #84
Veteran Member

I do not care much about digital photography. Howbow dat? I have seen all the other camps but they lack one single thing which annoys me - long exposure is limited to 30 seconds in-camera with a timer. Total failure right there. Fuji fixed this lately but it does not matter, they already had their chance and blew it.

All noise problems are long since gone in digital realm. Reviewers poking noise do not understand what matters in digital realm - sharp image. Analog camera already provides all the other aspects in far more pleasing way.

Samyang 24mm is pure junk. After operating Canon TS-E lenses for years it is far cry from a proper device. Not only are its contols tiny and extremely hard to operate in cold but it lacks electric operation which causes live view light metering to fail thanks to badly designed exposure simulation. I used one with a Nikon for 3 days and returned it.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-28-2018 at 03:14 AM.
05-27-2018, 07:49 AM - 2 Likes   #85
Pentaxian

And what does it matter that one can get these lenses if the body produces noisy images? I guess it's the Sony and Nikon cameras that are still in the sticks and stones era of grainy digital images.

It looks like if you need both the "best" lenses and the cleanest images, you are out of luck because no system offers both. (Personally, I find body performance the more useful trait but other may disagree.)

P.S. You can get T/S for Pentax both in the form of the Rokinon 24 or T/S adapters that use medium format lenses. And if you've got the money to burn on Zeiss lenses then you can afford to get them adapted to K-mount (Nikon and Zeiss ZF lenses for Pentax cameras) as can Nikon lenses.

Maybe if you need both the "best" lenses and the cleanest images, the closest option is Pentax.

P.P.S. Your K-1 will do longer duration timed exposures in Bulb mode.
05-27-2018, 08:31 AM   #86
Veteran Member

Uhm yes I know. That is why I said every other brand failed in that bulb case. Adapting Zeiss with Leitax is shooting ones own leg - have you ever tried it? Live view works so dumb that in manual mode histogram does not react to settings you dial in and that's about it then. Green button metering is off +/- 2 EV when approaching either end of shift range or extreme tilt with T/S lenses. If Pentax should learn something from Sony it is fixing this braindead exposure simulation in their live view feature. It would seriously make lives better for ALL pentaxians using old M-series and adapted lenses.
05-27-2018, 08:57 AM   #87
Pentaxian

I do not care much about digital photography. .
And yet you are posting about digital photography in a largely digital photography forum. I'd hate to see how much you'd post about something you did care about.

Do you ever feel the need to actually back up your words with actions?
05-27-2018, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #88
Pentaxian

It would seriously make lives better for ALL pentaxians using old M-series and adapted lenses.
The Samyang 24mm is rated better than you believe.
Rokinon Tilt-Shift 24mm F3.5 Review - Conclusion | PentaxForums.com Reviews

You can't speak for other Pentaxians than yourself.
05-27-2018, 11:36 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
The Samyang 24mm is rated better than you believe.
Rokinon Tilt-Shift 24mm F3.5 Review - Conclusion | PentaxForums.com Reviews

You can't speak for other Pentaxians than yourself.
While it might be fine for majority of people, I don't think it can hold a candle to Canon TS lenses for professional work.

I wouldn't need it and would be just fine with rokinon one, but I don't make money with my photography (at least not enough to call myself a professional).
05-27-2018, 11:35 PM   #90
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
I think Nikon iso 60 is a fake not a real.
When I look at the Raw data from the D810 and the D850 they show no data that it is fake, If we look at how the sensor is saturated for iso 64 there is no change in the headroom and does not put the camera any closer to clipping the bright portions of the scene based on the data found in the raw file.