Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote
What would that be good for? Your camera has one, why should the lens have another one?
Ideally I would like to be able to quickly toggle to CIF (Capture-In-Focus) mode when the need arises and AF with AF.C are not up to the task (kid on a swing, kids running fast towards you, kids jumping in a predetermined fashion such as ballet rehearsals/dances etc.)
Having a AF/MF switch on the lens itself opens up the lens to being able to be used in this way, if it doesn't then it can't do it (at least properly).

09-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Ideally I would like to be able to quickly toggle to CIF (Capture-In-Focus) mode when the need arises and AF with AF.C are not up to the task (kid on a swing, kids running fast towards you, kids jumping in a predetermined fashion such as ballet rehearsals/dances etc.)
Having a AF/MF switch on the lens itself opens up the lens to being able to be used in this way, if it doesn't then it can't do it (at least properly).
The upcoming D FA* 50mm F1.4 will have such a switch, if you're willing to fork over what will likely be a "premium" pricetag.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-16-2017, 01:36 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The upcoming D FA* 50mm F1.4 will have such a switch, if you're willing to fork over what will likely be a "premium" pricetag.
Yeh I realise that, I'll wait for reviews and maybe grab one or perhaps a discarded and unloved 55mm*
Or... a 35mm Sigma Art Series instead, I think it has a switch that can enable CIF as well...
09-16-2017, 03:04 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Don't have many concert opportunities here but when I do a little night shooting I have been experimenting with this technique a bit.
Iso invariance - PentaxForums.com
Still learning but think it would be ideal for a concert where it is really hard to get the correct exposure for the changing lighting. The idea is to be underexposed at all times but only by lowering your Iso and leaving your shutter and aperture as bright as you can. You can then correct your exposures in PP at your leisure with no loss of quality in an Iso invariant camera but with that much more control of the highlights.
Thanks for putting me onto this, I tried to do more ETTL shooting at the gig and I think it worked better than some of the other non ETTL shots, it's just a little nerving when chimping but when you get to LR you can indeed salvage a lot of exposure from the RAW file indeed. Anyway here's prolly the best pic of the night;

The rest here.

Cheers,

Bruce

10-18-2017, 01:18 AM   #20
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Thanks for putting me onto this, I tried to do more ETTL shooting at the gig and I think it worked better than some of the other non ETTL shots, it's just a little nerving when chimping but when you get to LR you can indeed salvage a lot of exposure from the RAW file indeed. Anyway here's prolly the best pic of the night;

The rest here.

Cheers,

Bruce
Yes wouldn't it be great if you could bracket shots based on Iso in manual mode. You could at least have one you could chimp an see -- hey-- cool pun!!
10-18-2017, 08:38 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Yes wouldn't it be great if you could bracket shots based on Iso in manual mode. You could at least have one you could chimp an see -- hey-- cool pun!!
Can't you bracket like this in TAv mode?
10-18-2017, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #22
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Can't you bracket like this in TAv mode?
Yes but the idea is to manually set aperture and shutter at the maximum appropriate level and to shoot at base Iso (or perhaps 3 stops under the correct Iso) and correcting exposure in PP.
TAv would muck around with your shutter and aperture settings. It needs M mode to work.
The hassle is you have a black image to chimp.