Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2017, 04:21 AM   #1

latest update: nothing works!

Hi, has anyone had the same problems trying to update the K1 with the latest updates?

I've followed the instructions and downloaded the zip file, I've tried both the SD card method as well as the cable to Mac method.

I turned on the camera while pressing the menu as ordered....nothing!

Heeelllppppp

PS very worried about the warnings from Pentax if it fails etc......

09-14-2017, 04:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hmmmmm very concerning. I am yet to upgrade from the original firmware. Perhaps I wont
09-14-2017, 04:30 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you click on the folder it will extract a .bin file. it is about 18meg. Place that file in the root directory of the card. Then try the update again. I always use and older card just for firmware updates. The only file I have on the card is the bin file.
09-14-2017, 04:35 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
If you click on the folder it will extract a .bin file. it is about 18meg. Place that file in the root directory of the card. Then try the update again. I always use and older card just for firmware updates. The only file I have on the card is the bin file.
Thanks: Root directory? Is that the same as copy and pasting or dropping on the the SD card?

09-14-2017, 04:46 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Can you put the SD card in the computer and copy/paste the .bin file onto the card?

I always mess up by putting it in the DCIM folder, then I have to go back in and move it.

I try to remember every time and I forget every time. -_-

Anyway, I just updated and the camera works fine.
09-14-2017, 04:47 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark (MC) Quote
Thanks: Root directory? Is that the same as copy and pasting or dropping on the the SD card?
Yes. It must not be in any folder.

If you place the folder with the zipped file on it onto your SD card nothing will happen. If you open the folder and click on the file you will get a new file that is about 18 meg. It will have a .bin extension. That is the file that needs to be in the root directory. The file name is fwbc228b.bin.

As a heads up, the firmware update file will always be named fwbc228b.bin and it is easy to confuse them. For this reason I always save the downloaded folder as it has the firmware version as part of it's name.
09-14-2017, 04:50 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also make sure you don't have another .bin file in the download folder. One time I unzipped the file and it got renamed because there was already a file with the same name in the folder...After fixing the file name it worked fine.

09-14-2017, 04:57 AM   #8

Updated to 1.42 no issues
09-14-2017, 04:59 AM   #9
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I am yet to upgrade from the original firmware.
Perhaps you should do the upgrade as there's nothing wrong with them and there's been quite a few improvements to the K-1 via the firmware.
09-14-2017, 05:26 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Make sure you are putting the card in SLOT 1 !!!
09-14-2017, 07:55 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
hmmmmm very concerning. I am yet to upgrade from the original firmware. Perhaps I wont
Just do it. Takes less than 1 minute.

---------- Post added 09-14-2017 at 09:57 AM ----------

Yes. Outside the DCIM folder.
09-14-2017, 09:55 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi, has anyone had the same problems trying to update the K1 with the latest updates?

I've followed the instructions and downloaded the zip file, I've tried both the SD card method as well as the cable to Mac method.

I turned on the camera while pressing the menu as ordered....nothing!

Heeelllppppp

PS very worried about the warnings from Pentax if it fails etc......
If you follow the troubleshooting guide and/or video in this post, you should be good to go:

Pentax K-1 Firmware v1.42 Released - Firmware Updates | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-14-2017, 01:49 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Upgrade went smoothly as usual but I was certainly hoping for that video IBIS. Patience.......
09-14-2017, 05:18 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Very quick, very simple, as always.
09-14-2017, 05:26 PM   #15
KDD
Veteran Member

Not put it in DCIM I'. Put it on k-1.