Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2017, 08:36 PM   #31

Hmmmm.... just updated to iOS 11 and it doesn’t seem to be there anymore. Before I go and buy an SD card reader, does it transfer RAWs too? Pentax’s crappy app can’t seem to.

09-19-2017, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Android user also here...
09-19-2017, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #33
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Hey, interesting pic, can you explain a little more what's going on in that set up?

I have a K-1 and Image Sync and a very high res Android tablet S2tab. When i have used the Image Sync app with it I found that it doesn't 'scale up' what you're seeing on the tablet, it's just the LCD blown up, therefore I can't take advantage of any extra pixels to see whether my shots were good or not. Essentially I'd have to send/transfer the the jpg across to the tablet and then have a look and then make adjustments etc, basically takes too long.

But here you have yer tablet connected via a cable to the K-1, are you actually able to use the tablet as a Live View via cable, lag free and or with higher resolution? Can you preview your shots in higher res?

Oh, and for the App Developer, I have a feature request, is it best to PM you or just add it here?

Cheers,

Bruce
Hi Bruce,
You may post your feature request here so we can talk about it together.
09-19-2017, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #34
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mike120 Quote
Hmmmm.... just updated to iOS 11 and it doesn’t seem to be there anymore. Before I go and buy an SD card reader, does it transfer RAWs too? Pentax’s crappy app can’t seem to.
You can transfer raw files via the Pentax app, but it's slow...really slow.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-19-2017, 10:40 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Xiaoming Quote
Hi Bruce,
You may post your feature request here so we can talk about it together.
Well here's my thought.

In all the times I've used my K-50 or K-1 I shoot RAW, because 90% of the times I will want to visit LR and do some proper processing. However, there have been times that I've used my camera (K-50 more than K-1) to wifi send a picture to my smartphone so that I might upload it to Instagram pr Facebook, it was more of a 'time is of the essence' capture rather than a pixel peeping high res admiration flickr kinda affair.

When wanting to do this, the process was slightly painful, as I'm sure you are aware you need to convert to Jpg first (that is if like me you shoot RAW exclusively (and don't want RAW+ for space saving reasons).
You also then have to consider that the Jpg conversion is probably quite a bit of overkill for Instagram. I'm not sure what size is optimal for Instagram, I think a couple years back 1000x1000 was the recommended thing, but nowadays you can add 4:3 aspect ratio and wider to Instagram... so I'm not sure what the res is capped at.

Perhaps you can see where I am going with this, whether it is possible to have a 'Instagram' mode in your app. Here's how I would hope it could work...

1) you turn app on and connect via wifi to the camera
2) on the phone you browse the RAW files, select the file/s you want
3) you then select to transfer these files but select 'Instagram'

What this does is convert the RAW>JPG at the optimal size/compression so that the file is smaller than it needs to be and hence faster to transfer and is now ready for Instagram.

Perhaps the user can do this in the camera, convert RAW to Jpg and specify the size that would be acceptable to Instagramming, but I'm lazy and just think it would be cool if the app did it all

FWIW I find Instagram to do a pretty good job of PP editing, there are quite a lot of options and choices and even the filter presets are not bad. But yeh basically when wirelessly transfering JPGs off my K-50 or K-1 to the phone it's always been for Instagram or Facebook use.
09-20-2017, 12:18 AM   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mike120 Quote
Tested on iOS 11 too. I can see it yesterday, but can not find it today. . It can also transfer the RAWs too.

---------- Post added 09-20-17 at 12:24 AM ----------

Well here's my thought.

In all the times I've used my K-50 or K-1 I shoot RAW, because 90% of the times I will want to visit LR and do some proper processing. However, there have been times that I've used my camera (K-50 more than K-1) to wifi send a picture to my smartphone so that I might upload it to Instagram pr Facebook, it was more of a 'time is of the essence' capture rather than a pixel peeping high res admiration flickr kinda affair.

When wanting to do this, the process was slightly painful, as I'm sure you are aware you need to convert to Jpg first (that is if like me you shoot RAW exclusively (and don't want RAW+ for space saving reasons).
You also then have to consider that the Jpg conversion is probably quite a bit of overkill for Instagram. I'm not sure what size is optimal for Instagram, I think a couple years back 1000x1000 was the recommended thing, but nowadays you can add 4:3 aspect ratio and wider to Instagram... so I'm not sure what the res is capped at.

Perhaps you can see where I am going with this, whether it is possible to have a 'Instagram' mode in your app. Here's how I would hope it could work...

What this does is convert the RAW>JPG at the optimal size/compression so that the file is smaller than it needs to be and hence faster to transfer and is now ready for Instagram.

Perhaps the user can do this in the camera, convert RAW to Jpg and specify the size that would be acceptable to Instagramming, but I'm lazy and just think it would be cool if the app did it all

FWIW I find Instagram to do a pretty good job of PP editing, there are quite a lot of options and choices and even the filter presets are not bad. But yeh basically when wirelessly transfering JPGs off my K-50 or K-1 to the phone it's always been for Instagram or Facebook use.
Good suggestion.
The only problem is that, if the device provide the program interface(API) to resize and export the RAW to JPG. I can not find the api from the current document. The guide line is, if the original APP can do it, we can do it too, if it can not, there may not have the api to do it.

Last edited by Xiaoming; 09-20-2017 at 12:25 AM.
09-20-2017, 01:45 AM   #37

Thank you. I also await Android version.

09-20-2017, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

There are some previous threads here on the topic of the K1's extremely slow WIFI. Someone found the interface as something fairly standard and easy enough to connect to, but they could not do anything about the slow implementation inside the K1.

As a result, WIFI transfer is useless for anything beyond transferring the odd pic or two to e.g. a phone, to email (a reduced version of) to someone, upload to facebook, etc. Most people solve this by taking a pic with the camera and taking the same pic with the phone

If WIFI was the full speed possible with modern WIFI, it would be great because you could just walk into your house and the new pics could be automatically transferred to a specific directory on your PC. That functionality has been on phones for years and is what I have (SyncMe app).

Of course the "other problem" is that the camera battery cannot be charged without removing it from the camera..... so the battery would go flat during the transfer Pentax really need to implement USB charging and preferably wireless charging. Of course true professionals will say this is a gimmick

How does this product improve on the WIFI speed?

I am an android user too. IOS users will claim that chart posted above is fake but I suspect the answer to why Apple haven't yet gone bust is that android spans the market from very cheap to very expensive whereas IOS is found only on very expensive devices.
09-20-2017, 03:40 AM   #39

Why does Ricoh not improve the program?
09-20-2017, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

People need to be a bit patient. Assuming that Xiaoming is a single person doing this in his/her spare time, it is just nice to have another option, even if it is only for ios at the moment.
09-20-2017, 06:20 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd like to test your app on my very expensive Apple devices, but it's still not appearing in the App Store. That aside, as it's intended to address the limited transfer capabilities of Ricoh's app, it would be good to see some comparative transfer rate data. Frankly, though, given the limited processing power and capacity of current phones and tablets, I can't see that there's a whole lot of point to using it for RAW transfers, when a laptop is much easier to use for storage and processing images, and many are almost as small as and often cheaper to buy than a good tablet.

Though I'd prefer not to get involved in childish OS wars, while it's obviously beneficial to have different systems running the same app, in this case those same processor and capacity limitations (not to mention OS version fragmentation in the case of Android devices) are going to restrict many low-end device users from gaining whatever benefits the app might allow. Still, it's obviously a step in the right direction, and I don't want to discourage further development, because tablets are bound to improve over time.

Getting it back in the App Store would be a help, though.
09-20-2017, 07:30 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well here's my thought.

The only time I use wifi transfer to my phone is if I am on vacation and want to upload a few pics to here or Facebook or Flickr.

Typically, I go through and choose two or three images and develop them in camera (usually saving them to the other memory card). I develop them at lower than the maximum setting to speed transfer process and then transfer the jpegs. Certainly it is a several step process, but the jpeg engine on the K-1 is good enough that I get good results with that sort of a process.
09-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Xiaoming, any idea when this will be posted back to the App Store?
09-20-2017, 12:36 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The only time I use wifi transfer to my phone is if I am on vacation and want to upload a few pics to here or Facebook or Flickr.

Typically, I go through and choose two or three images and develop them in camera (usually saving them to the other memory card). I develop them at lower than the maximum setting to speed transfer process and then transfer the jpegs. Certainly it is a several step process, but the jpeg engine on the K-1 is good enough that I get good results with that sort of a process.
Yeh, I was thinking that I'll have to do some of the PP in camera before setting for wifi transfer. With the K-1 (or other Pentax's) is there an option to generate a more compressed jpg? I don't recall this being an option on my K-50, I seem to recall it was just RAW>JPG and crop tool, be nice if I could shrink the file size down to being smaller and therefore quicker to transfer over wifi but losing nothing when it comes to posting on Instagram. I'll have to experiment later with my K-1, see if I can find a way.
09-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeh, I was thinking that I'll have to do some of the PP in camera before setting for wifi transfer. With the K-1 (or other Pentax's) is there an option to generate a more compressed jpg? I don't recall this being an option on my K-50, I seem to recall it was just RAW>JPG and crop tool, be nice if I could shrink the file size down to being smaller and therefore quicker to transfer over wifi but losing nothing when it comes to posting on Instagram. I'll have to experiment later with my K-1, see if I can find a way.
You can choose JPEG recorded pixels and quality, On the K-70 you select it in Camera settings -> Image capture settings.
Closed Thread