Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2017, 09:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SOS!

Hi all,
I never thought I would ever create a post like this. My five months old K-1 with 5280 actuations just quit on me. In the last 34 years I had seven Pentax cameras, both film and digital, and none of them ever broke hence I am pentaxian for life. I guess it's always a first time for everything.
Here are the symptoms. In a last couple of months K-1 would occasionally produce a completely black image. Once I checked the camera/lens interface and found a small hair so I assumed this was a problem. Recently I upgraded the firmware to the latest release. I got a few black images again in the last couple of days and today it happened again. However, this time it failed permanently and would not recover. When I look into viewfinder it is black and pressing the shutter release button makes no action. I removed the lens and found that the mirror is permanently up and the shutter curtain is down. I tried to pull the mirror down with my fingernail and after few attempts it stayed in a down position. Put a lens back, took couple of pictures and it's back to square one. Interestingly, the Live View is working perfectly. I re-installed the firmware but, as I expected, it didn't help. It must be mechanical failure. This is really a bad timing as I will be travelling in Europe in mid-November and I so hoped to use K-1 and bring a lots of images back. I am devastated. Luckily, it failed now and not while I am in Europe. I also still have my K-3 as a spare.
If you have any ideas about the cause of this failure, please help.
Thank you.

09-19-2017, 09:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sounds like a mechanical failure and quite a bit of bad luck- but that's where the warranty comes in

I would sent it in to precision ASAP as they should be able to turn it around in time.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-19-2017, 09:37 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you, Adam for quick reply. Unfortunately, I am in Canada and can't use Precision. I need to find Canadian warranty repair facility.
09-19-2017, 09:57 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by TTQ225 Quote
Thank you, Adam for quick reply. Unfortunately, I am in Canada and can't use Precision. I need to find Canadian warranty repair facility.
Not a problem Check out our repair facilities sticky:

Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - PentaxForums.com

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-19-2017, 10:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Repair Information?Support?RICOH IMAGING CANADA

RICOH IMAGING CANADA INC
2150 Steeles Avenue West, Unit #5
Concord, ON
L4K 2Y7
Phone: (905) 286-5585
Email: service@ricoh-imaging.ca

DOWNLOAD and print this
09-19-2017, 10:12 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you, Raart.
09-19-2017, 10:15 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by TTQ225 Quote
Thank you, Raart.
Yes that is the correct address for Sun Camera Service.

Adam