Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2017, 11:48 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
[snip]

I couldn't handhold the lens for 60+ minutes in a row, so I used a monopod (14,99 EUR Braun 1001; no ballhead at all). This way it works well - for me.

[snip]

Thanks - I agree - I can't hold it long either. I've been predominantly using a tripod, but I've just started trying to get the hang of a monopod. I'm finding it's not as simple as you'd think to get height etc. dialed in on subjects that are unpredictable and above you - birds for the most part in my case.

09-24-2017, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
While I know that Pentax K3 and K1 are capable, I don't like that kind of threads because they don't talk about how many shots were out of focus and deleted. It's the same non-objective proposition as the complete opposite thrown by people who don't know how to use the camera or trolls coming over here bashing Pentax and promoting other brands.
Would any thread about images shot with a Pentax other than stationary objects be acceptable? It doesn't matter how many were deleted, the OP said it was a new sport to him and revealed some great and interesting images. I shot sports with a Spotmatic F and then a SF1 and know people who used Hasselblad 500 and Bronica 6X7. If you want to know the failure rate you would also need to know the skill level of the photographer as well as their knowledge of the sport in order to make a value statement about the camera unless the sole reason for your post is to bash the AF speed of Pentax of which I would be shocked if that wasn't already a known quality.
09-24-2017, 11:20 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
unless the sole reason for your post is to bash the AF speed of Pentax
Well, at least, that wouldn't be cheating as much as showing only a few good shots from a K1. As with anything in this world, nothing is so black and white, there are pros and cons. For the K1, it is very difficult to shoot sports, that pave the way to welcome a K3 replacement with significantly better AF. I like the idea that K1 is primarily a landscape camera, and not good for sports (which is true...).
09-25-2017, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #19
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For the K1, it is very difficult to shoot sports
If the world is not black and white, how that statement can be true? It's easy to believe that it's not the best AF in the world, but very difficult sounds a bit too much. If something isn't the best tool for pro, doesn't mean that it's not enough for amateur, who can afford a miss or two, as long there as some good shots in the mix.

Thought I admit that I don't have K1 or use AF, but, as an amateur, I'm perfectly capable of shooting action sports with K30, manual lenses and catch in focus and would not call it very difficult. It's actually so easy that even my son could do it at age of 9

Shot by my son with K30 on high burst with M28/3.5 manual prime lens. I set the camera ready in advance and he took about 10 shots in burst of me riding by. Plenty of frames to choose from.

And here is plenty of windsurfing shots I've taken this summer with some series included taken mostly with M*300. Not the easiest lens to shoot with, but offers enough reach to get close to action from the shore. I think that my set is already good enough for amateur like me. Even if I miss some shots I get more than enough. Can't believe that K1 would perform worse or be more difficult to use.

09-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Shot by my son with K30 on high burst with M28/3.5 manual prime lens. I set the camera ready in advance and he took about 10 shots in burst of me riding by. Plenty of frames to choose from.
Yes, I can believe that, the lens focus is set to hyperfocal, everything is in focus, no need for AF.
09-25-2017, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done especially for a first-time attempt! I like how the pictures transport the athletic qualities, some the others on flickr even better than the ones shown here.

I like the idea that K1 is primarily a landscape camera, and not good for sports (which is true...).
There's nothing wrong if you like that idea. Others may think of the K-1 as a tool to photograph whatever interesting things come up in front of it. I'm one of those. The K-1 may not be the optimal camera for sports, but my own experience shooting hockey both outdoor and indoor, the K-1 is rather rarely the limiting factor for good hockey pictures. Some K-1 qualities are in fact fairly useful, like the ability to handle the extreme contrast often found on sunny fields around June, and I more than once was happy to be able to shoot in pouring rain without much hassle.

My main struggle with hockey, due to the speed of the ball, is to both follow the game well enough to anticipate the next move and still frame shots at the same time. I would likely have a hard time handling the long end of that lens with its narrow field of view. Luckily, being a niche sport, most times you can get close to the action, and a 70-200mm often has enough reach.

09-27-2017, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

I was expecting "angry canadians with no teeth" and got grass, shoes and women

Wonderful series, well done!

09-27-2017, 05:30 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Well done especially for a first-time attempt! I like how the pictures transport the athletic qualities, some the others on flickr even better than the ones shown here.
Thanks.

I guess I need to find out which types of shots are preferred by the players. It seems that many athletes have a very dedicated view on what is a good shot and what not.
I just know I have very different ones and find it difficult to say A is "better" than B. A lot of personal taste involved.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I was expecting "angry canadians with no teeth" and got grass, shoes and women

Wonderful series, well done!
Thanks. I guess that is a matter of climate. Hereabouts "hockey" refers to field hockey and one has to explicitly say "ice hockey" if that is what it is. Canada got more ice than we do.
Potentially "men without teeth" versus "women with teeth" also is not a level comparison.