Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New K-1 Purchased and need help

Hi all.
I have just purchased a K-1, and Grip and it is still on V1.00 program.

I have downloaded the V 1.42 update but just want to check that it is ok to update to this direct from V1.00 or should I install all the others. Getting old and confused.

Also is there a link to some basic settings just to start with out of the box. I am sure I saw one here somewhere.

Any help greatly appreciated as this thing is a nightmare to take in after not having a camera for about 5 years.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Tony

09-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Tony, all previous updates are included in the newest one. Here is a tutorial on firmware updates. Enjoy and good luck.

09-24-2017, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have a K 1 but I would review this if I was you

Pentax K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax K-1 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

you might want to try a few photos in crop mode to see what it will do in that setting as well
09-24-2017, 03:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax K-1 Firmware v1.42 Released - Firmware Updates | PentaxForums.com

09-24-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Growden Quote
Hi all.
I have just purchased a K-1, and Grip and it is still on V1.00 program.

I have downloaded the V 1.42 update but just want to check that it is ok to update to this direct from V1.00 or should I install all the others. Getting old and confused.

Also is there a link to some basic settings just to start with out of the box. I am sure I saw one here somewhere.

Any help greatly appreciated as this thing is a nightmare to take in after not having a camera for about 5 years.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Tony
G'day Tony,

Congrats on the new K-1, it's an awesome camera and I'm sure you'll enjoy learning how to get the most out of it, especially once you see the images you can capture with this beastie.

Now to answer your first question, the firmware updates are cumulative so you will be fine to load the latest without having to go through the earlier versions. Please note, there were some cool updates added in v1.40. These will be in the latest version anyway but the addendum to the owners manual may not be. Have a scout around the Pentax update page for it, it's only a couple of pages from memory but it is handy for where to find things like the electronic first curtain shutter for live view and the night mode for the LCD screen. Both are really handy.

For settings on the camera itself, your owners manual will be a great friend. There's a lot of functionality in this camera, and determining what you need is a matter of knowing what is available and where to find it. For example, the drive mode is selected by the upper button on the four way controller, however if you're in AF mode you will only be moving the AF selector around when using the four way controller instead of getting to select single frame or constant, mirror up etc. Just above the four way controller is a small button which switches between the two options. The instructions will explain it all.

The K-1's third dial is something to consider when setting up so it provides a short cut for your style of shooting. Typically I leave it on SR on/off to save time when going from hand held shooting to using a tripod. Other times I use it to save going into the drive mode for bracketing and constant shooting, but each to their own for this one.

When I got my K-1 I had left the frame size in auto this meant that my DA70 LTD and DA* 300/4 would default to crop mode. I didn't want this so I set my camera up with full frame as the default.

Look at setting the camera up for how you want it to write to the SD cards. This is personal again but I use sequential with 2 x 64GB cards. Others have images written to both cards as a back up in the field. The size of your cards and your style of shooting will determine what is best for you.

Also consider what speed you want images to be written to the card at. Some setting in the camera will slow this down so refer to the manual or the posted K-1 review for these. Again your type of shooting will determine the relevance of this or not but be aware, if you're shooting constant-high the buffer fills up quickly and then the camera will lock up. Hence the K-1 gets applauded as a landscape camera but not a sports camera. Having said that I use mine for sports and I just adapt my shooting to try and avoid hitting the buffer wall as much as possible.

I have the electronic shutter on for live view, this will then automatically use ES whenever I'm shooting in LV.

I have the viewfinder setting set up after testing each option, this is a personal thing but it's worth testing each option to see how it fits you.

Familiarise yourself with the LCD brightness setting (bottom button on the 4 way controller). This is handy in bright light and low light but you do need to get into the habit of monitoring the histogram to avoid being misled by what you see on the LCD when using the LCD brightness adjuster. For example, if I'm shooting in bright light and set it to +1 or +2 I may underexpose if I don't keep an eye on the histogram.

Get used to scrolling the info button, this will adjust what's on the LCD screen and gets you to the area where you can adjust some items without going into the menu and also set the status screen. I mostly leave the LCD screen on default but from time to time turn the LCD off. When reviewing an image the info button is again used to access the viewing options. I tend to switch between the standard info display and the RGB histogram.

I could go on, but for now I will leave you with two very important things. The first I've already mentioned, as much as it's a pain in the bum, read the manual as this camera can do so much and is very flexible in how you can set it up. The second is to test your lenses for AF performance. There's lots of examples of people thinking there was a problem with their camera/lens but lots of people have had to fine tune the AF, me included. There's plenty of info on how to do that in the forums including a feature by the PF staff. So if you seem to be getting soft images, don't despair it could be just a need to fine tune AF.

Good luck with it all mate and don't forget to share some pics from time to time.

Tas
09-24-2017, 05:34 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all.

I will follow the links for info required and fine tune to my requirements using the manual from that.
Going to be a big learning curve trying to wake up old memories that used to be second nature. I will get there and post some images when I have time to have a play.

Once again Many thanks to all for the help.

Regards
Tony

---------- Post added 09-25-2017 at 10:36 AM ----------

Many Thanks for the links Allen. Much appreciated. I knew I had seen a recommended start point somewhere.

Cheers Tony
09-24-2017, 05:58 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

you are welcome

if you list in your profile, or in this thread, the type of photography you are interested perhaps some people could send you some ideas of threads to look at and post in

09-24-2017, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Tony, all previous updates are included in the newest one. Here is a tutorial on firmware updates. Enjoy and good luck.

How to Upgrade Firmware in a Pentax DSLR - YouTube
Thank you Peter
09-24-2017, 10:22 PM   #9
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Growden Quote
Thank you Peter
Most welcome Tony. Once you get your " baby " updated, if you need any help or advice, please don't hesitate to ask.
09-24-2017, 10:26 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Update completed safely and basic settings as per thread provided as a starting point installed - now to shoot something lol.
Thank you all.

Cheers
Tony
09-25-2017, 12:46 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One little "gotcha" which I don't think is documented in the manual is this. Although you can specify which card (slot 1 or 2) is to be used if shooting RAW + JPEG, and which card is to be used for movie mode, there is no way in the menu to specify which card the camera should use first when taking single shots, JPEG or RAW

But if you want to use card 2 first this is the procedure. Turn camera off and place card in slot 2 only. Turn camera on, then off. Now place your second card in slot 1. The camera will now use slot 2 untill it is full then switch to slot 1. Vice versa if you want to use slot 1 first.

I personally use slot 2 first as i find it easier to remove from the camera than slot 1.
09-25-2017, 04:37 AM   #12
Forum Member

Hi Tony
You could if you want give me the camera to try out as I havnt been out of action like you. I could learn all about it and then show you.

Keith Growden.
09-25-2017, 05:09 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by keithg Quote
Hi Tony
You could if you want give me the camera to try out as I havnt been out of action like you. I could learn all about it and then show you.

Keith Growden.
Almost had that thought today bro. Shed is finished now so I will have this weekend free (I hope). Have fun with the pics I sent you to play with for me.

Thank you again to all for your advice and help. I am very rusty but I will re-learn the skills to keep Pentax great lol (I wish)

Regards
Tony
09-25-2017, 08:16 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Tony,
Good choice on the K-1. I got mine about 6 months ago and the first few weeks of using it was a challenge of sorts but after the "initiation period", I wouldn't pick any other camera and enjoy its use greatly.
One thing TAS alluded to is the little button above the four-way controller. If you leave the controller in the function mode, chances are you're going to bump it and then wonder what happened when the camera starts doing weird things. I click the little button to put the camera in the AF point select mode, and then if the controller is bumped, it only moves the point and doesn't crash the picture taking.
I also have adopted using the top right function & control knobs to adjust ISO. That was suggested in this forum some time back and is a good recommendation. It allows you to tweak shutter speed, aperture, and ISO with just three knobs. It's handy for going from outdoors to indoors with limited lighting so you can bump the ISO with just a knob twist. All three setting show on the rear LCD.
Happy shooting!
09-25-2017, 01:00 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Hey Tony,
Good choice on the K-1. I got mine about 6 months ago and the first few weeks of using it was a challenge of sorts but after the "initiation period", I wouldn't pick any other camera and enjoy its use greatly.
One thing TAS alluded to is the little button above the four-way controller. If you leave the controller in the function mode, chances are you're going to bump it and then wonder what happened when the camera starts doing weird things. I click the little button to put the camera in the AF point select mode, and then if the controller is bumped, it only moves the point and doesn't crash the picture taking.
I also have adopted using the top right function & control knobs to adjust ISO. That was suggested in this forum some time back and is a good recommendation. It allows you to tweak shutter speed, aperture, and ISO with just three knobs. It's handy for going from outdoors to indoors with limited lighting so you can bump the ISO with just a knob twist. All three setting show on the rear LCD.
Happy shooting!
Thank you Bob. Sounds like very good advice given the number of knobs and buttons it has.

I have already found my fingers wandering where they shouldn't when looking at a potential shot lol.

Regards
Tony