Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-25-2017, 05:48 AM   #1

Anybody tried backing up files from the K1 to an iPad?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm thinking about getting an iPad Pro (256Gb) to use as a RAW backup and platform for Lightroom Mobile and leave my MaBook pro at home when I travel.
Far more practical, lightweight and overall easy, and I can do pretty much all of the stuff I do with my laptop when travelling.

I'd get the Camera Connection Kit USB and download the files straight from the K1 to it...has anyone tried? How fast is the transfer rate from the K1? Should I get the CCK with SD card reader instead?

Thanx

L.

09-25-2017, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The usb interface on the K-1 is slow. A good card reader will be faster.
09-25-2017, 06:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
Just what I thought...I'll get the CCK SD Card reader.

Thanx
09-25-2017, 07:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm using a WD Passport wireless for field back up. Beyond the wonderful benefit of its compactness and battery powered operation, when I get back to the hotel, I can use it as the source in my lightroom workflow... mine is a first gen device, I hear the newer versions of the WD wireless devices are faster and more robust.

The WD device also has a slick media server app that works well with your iPad... no need to blow big cash on a large storage iPad.

09-25-2017, 08:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Slow as molasses and you have to transfer everything, including RAWs. I think the Apple Camera kit is basically useless.
09-25-2017, 09:37 AM   #6

Original Poster
What do you mean with "transfer everything"? I'd just transfer RAW files...
09-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own the iPad Pro and it works using the camera connection kit transferring the raw files from camera. But as others said it's somehow slow. But you have to consider raw files especially from the K-1 are huge.

Another option I have is to backup to my Toshiba Canvio AeroMobile device (media server included). It houses a 128GB SSD and SD card slot, connection to computer by USB3 or integrated Wifi server. Using an (terrible) ios app you can backup your raw data from the SD card slot to the devices SSD and then transfer it to your iPad. For the latter you also can use the much better app PhotoSync.

Last vacation I used the iOS app Affinity Photo to develop some K-1 DNG files. So far it works. Never worked with layers. But tried it on the iPad - just for fun. A composite of a DA15 image plus a DA55-300PLM@55 beer bottle framed in a manner so that the dark corners of FF Square Mode are not visible.

09-25-2017, 08:56 PM   #8

It’s the exact setup I’m planning to using for travel. I just bought the apple SD card reader, and it works like a charm backing up to the iPad. Quick enough, and it just works. I copied 50gb of photos to the iPad no problem and editing them with Affinity and the Apple Pencil is a dream come true.

WiFi doesn’t work too hot..... though you’re probably both a lot more realistic than I am and a lot less stupid!
09-28-2017, 04:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I haven't tried this for a while but you should be able to buy a third party SD card adapter for an Ipad, which enables the card content to be transferred to the Ipad's Camera Roll. The CR supports only the .jpg files, not raw.

I don't think the K1's USB interface is usable for data transfer except to a PC or a Mac. I found the camera is not visible as a USB device on any phone or a tablet - is this still really current? Otherwise, USB is not slow to a PC; that's how I transfer raws into Lightroom. I don't take the cards out.

However I heard IOS 11 supports "files" now so maybe things have improved, post-Jobs.
11-17-2022, 05:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok so this thread is old, but I have a new wrinkle.

I have been musing over this issue of backing up memory cards since my first *IstD. Way back then I had a windows based PDA, (Dell Axim 50) I could put my CF cards into it, but what to copy to? I bought a USB hub card for it, but the issue then became power and trying to rig up a power supply for the usb hub, and hard disk.

Fast forward almost 20 years and I started thinking, what about using my iPad and the files program and some form of USB hub that plugged into the lightning connector.

I bought this on Amazon
Lightning to hdmi,iPhone Camera Adapter,iPhone SD Card Reader with Charging Port,Support HDTV/Monitor/Projector/USB Flash Drive/MIDI Keyboard/Mouse. : Amazon.ca: Electronics
It came in 24 hours.

As long as you have a 2 amp lightning charger, for external power, you can plug an SD card into one slot and a hard disk into one of the USB ports.

I was able to copy 3 GB of photos in 4 minutes from my 16 GB SD card to a FAT 32 formatted 250GB WD Passport. It needs to be a FAT 32 for Apple to write to it. I have a later WD 2TB Passport that is NTFS I can read files from it, but not write to it

Next step is to try powering from my 10aH emergency battery that I use for recharging cell phones, iPad and gps without power. If that works, and I don’t see why not, then I have a solution for on the trail back up on memory cards to a hard disk. Edit note, this is confirmed to work also

If you are not worried about on the move back up any powered FAT32 hard disk will do, but this arrangement lets you do a whole lot with just a tablet, and a small usb hard disk and eliminates a lot of the need to travel with a Laptop.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 11-17-2022 at 06:55 PM.
11-18-2022, 01:03 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A second 256 GB SD card would be cheaper...