Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2017, 02:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

Where to buy the K-1 in UK

Hi All,

I live in UK & am looking for a good deal on a brand new K-1. I noticed that B&H is selling it for $1900, which equates to about £1400 (which I would be willing to spend), but when I look on UK websites (SRS, for example), it's on sale for £1999. That's a massive disparity. I would have ordered it on B&H but then I think that customs, duty & shipping would take it out of my budget. Am I missing something, or does anyone know a retailer in the UK that is selling the K-1 (brand new body only) for around the same price as B&H?

Cheers,
Ducky

09-27-2017, 03:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've searched too, and its £1999 everywhere. I noticed the disparity with the USA too, UK being ripped off as it has always been. Let us know if you find it cheaper.
09-27-2017, 04:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

There won't be any unless it is a grey import. Ricoh has forbidden retailers to compete on price.
09-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ducky13 Quote
Hi All,

I live in UK & am looking for a good deal on a brand new K-1. I noticed that B&H is selling it for $1900, which equates to about £1400 (which I would be willing to spend), but when I look on UK websites (SRS, for example), it's on sale for £1999. That's a massive disparity. I would have ordered it on B&H but then I think that customs, duty & shipping would take it out of my budget. Am I missing something, or does anyone know a retailer in the UK that is selling the K-1 (brand new body only) for around the same price as B&H?

Cheers,
Ducky
UK prices include VAT, whereas US prices don't, hence the massive difference.

With shipping and customs clearance you can get the K-1 from B&H for $2367.75 (add it to cart to see). That works out to ~1766 GBP. Still a hefty savings, but nowhere near as crazy.

Now, bear in mind that the US warranty is only good for one year, and you will have to pay 50 pounds to get it serviced, under warranty, in the UK. If your credit card has a warranty extension benefit, then there'd otherwise be no harm in ordering from the US. Otherwise, the extra year of warranty might motivate a domestic purchase.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-27-2017, 10:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Worth keeping an eye on London Camera Exchange. They sometimes have ex demo, and similar, for sale.

I picked up a virtually new (<100 actuations, 12 month warranty) for £1,499 there a few months ago. It was mint in every respect and represented a good saving. Wex often carry used stock too although their used prices often seem higher.

Good luck finding your K1!
09-27-2017, 11:15 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for the replies. Has anyone ever used this website?

Pentax K-1 body - DigitalRev
09-27-2017, 11:40 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducky13 Quote
Thank you all for the replies. Has anyone ever used this website?

Pentax K-1 body - DigitalRev
That is not a UK seller ..... You have an issue with your camera...send it to Hong Kong.

"By purchasing a product through the site, you agree that such purchase and the import of such product complies with the laws of the country to which you have requested DigitalRev Limited to ship the product, and agree that you will be considered the sole "Importer" of the product to your country for all purposes, including customs regulations and copyright and trademark laws. You acknowledge and agree that DigitalRev Limited's role is limited to procuring products available in Hong Kong and other regions and making these products available through the site to you for purchase in Hong Kong and for your import to your country."

Official retailers in the UK have to follow guidance from Ricoh as to pricing. They do have deals from time to time. But you wont get a UK K1 for the same price as a US K1.

09-28-2017, 12:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At launch, the prices were more similar, but they've drifted in different directions - not helped by the post-Brexit-vote exchange rate drop for the GBP - if you hold GBP and use the bank selling rate rather than the median exchange rate, Adam's figure goes up to about £1,850 from the US - still less, but closer still

Last edited by ffking; 09-28-2017 at 12:38 AM.
09-28-2017, 12:16 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all.
09-28-2017, 04:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

SRS used to be a great grey import source but nowadays they are an official dealer for Pentax, so they have to sell the body at the RRP.

However they do some very valuable bundles with lenses. I bought my K1 and 24-70 2.8 from SRS for a lot less than my local shop, Park Cameras. But the other big reason was that Park Cameras had only an "old" specimen in stock (been sitting there for months) while SRS had fresh stock and I wanted that, to avoid some specific early issues which are common with Pentax.

Import from Hong Kong or the USA used to work because the vendors would gift-wrap the box and declare $20 value Most of the time you would get away with it and when you didn't there was no net cost over the UK. But nowadays the Post Office knows that collecting import duty and VAT and charging upwards of £8 each time for doing it is a nice income stream for them, and it is really organised to assess practically every package. I haven't seen anything get through for ages.
09-28-2017, 12:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You only have one FF lens currently. So how about getting a kit?
And how about buying a used K-1 copy?

If you don't mind the silver color, BG and 2nd battery, you can order a brand new K-1 for just £1,795.08 (2.050€) at Foto Konijnenberg (NL):
Pentax K-1 Limited Zilver Edition Kit - Pentax Dslr Camera - Pentax - Our brands

Or a mint K-1 from Germany for just 1.850€ (£1,621):
Pentax K-1 | AFA Fotohandel e.K.

Before the price increase things have been easier
Product comparison for Pentax K-1 Body , Pentax K-1