Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2017, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #1

I have sold my K-1...

I have recently sold my K-1 because I am in pursue of something that can record good quality video too, but...

...now when I am developing one of the photographs from my (not anymore) beloved K-1, I silently weep and can't stop admiring what photographic possibilities it was giving me...

I am talking about the DYNAMIC RANGE in particular. There is no other camera (except for d810; which also offers less for more money ) that would exceed K-1 in photographic capabilities.

There is nothing in its price range (or even in much pricier range) you can substitute it with, unless you are willing to pay much more and also sacrifice other features.

K-1 is the KING NUMBER 1 of photography. I already dearly miss it...

Sorry for this thread... I just had to throw it out somewhere.

Thank you PENTAX for making such good and affordable gear... You will be always my number one for photography.

09-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #2

I just picked up a K1 from the sale threads. Just came in today, lovely camera so far.
Why didn't you get something else to compliment it? You can't really find anything similar for the money, so why not get something else for video?
If you want Dynamic Range in recording Id get one of those black magic camera. You can pick the lens mount. Good sensor made for video. A low end Canon could have done a good job too if you cared about the auto focus or a Panasonic.
About the D810, used you can get one for almost the price of a K1, the price on those are crashing with the new model out. I still picked the K1. Maybe the D810 is an option used?

I'm sure if Pentax made the effort they could do better on video next time, but maybe they aren't interested in that market. I think the Sigma sdq can't even record video.
I guess if you really wanted to have your cake and eat it the new D850 is a monster, they problem is that it's one expensive camera.

I hope the best of luck for you, it's hard to find something that works for you, but at the end of the day you need to get what works for you best.
09-30-2017, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know how you feel, I always feel like I've kicked a puppy when I sell Pentax gear it makes me smile, it's friendly and it did nothing wrong - but I want what it cannot manage easily.
09-30-2017, 05:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by francis01832 Quote
I just picked up a K1 from the sale threads. Just came in today, lovely camera so far.
Why didn't you get something else to compliment it? You can't really find anything similar for the money, so why not get something else for video?
If you want Dynamic Range in recording Id get one of those black magic camera. You can pick the lens mount. Good sensor made for video. A low end Canon could have done a good job too if you cared about the auto focus or a Panasonic.
About the D810, used you can get one for almost the price of a K1, the price on those are crashing with the new model out. I still picked the K1. Maybe the D810 is an option used?

I'm sure if Pentax made the effort they could do better on video next time, but maybe they aren't interested in that market. I think the Sigma sdq can't even record video.
I guess if you really wanted to have your cake and eat it the new D850 is a monster, they problem is that it's one expensive camera.

I hope the best of luck for you, it's hard to find something that works for you, but at the end of the day you need to get what works for you best.
I wanted a7s ii at first but it has its own downsides just like a7r ii. Still battling between those two, but I love dynamic range so much and none Sony's camera come even close :/

I know all available options on the market, but still thank you for the suggestion.

I miss days when I was only interested in taking photographs ;p The winner was always obvious/ I for sure will be coming back to Pentax. I just love the brand and what they offer too much.

Oh, and d850 dynamic range sucks compared to the one in K-1 ;p (no sensor stabilisation etc. I could go on but this is not the thread about it)

Nikon D850 First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

lmao xD You couldn't have compared it better ;p
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I know how you feel, I always feel like I've kicked a puppy when I sell Pentax gear it makes me smile, it's friendly and it did nothing wrong - but I want what it cannot manage easily.
Have a nice day/night.

Last edited by tgchan; 09-30-2017 at 05:28 PM.
09-30-2017, 11:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tgchan Quote
Oh, and d850 dynamic range sucks compared to the one in K-1
And so does the 4K video AF.
10-01-2017, 12:44 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Well, I'm completely happy with my K-1. My personal opinion is that camera is primarily about making photos. (I even have something like antipathy towards video functions in cameras...) Should I be taken with video recording, why not to buy a specialized video recorder? It's kind of philosophy question. I prefer specialization (and perfection) against universalism/all-purpose attitude with plenty of drawbacks and compromises.
10-01-2017, 01:22 AM   #7

Seems like some manufacturers of highly regarded still cameras do not give a toss about video. I think they just include the feature as a possibility to use, but no intention to lure people into buying their product for the video. I have the K-1 from Pentax and the first Fuji X100. Incredible cameras for still photography (even today the Fuji still rocks) but they constantly get bad reviews on video quality, even the new X100F.
It is like noble men staying away from the crowds attitude LOL
As a cabinet maker I do not use my chisel to cut down trees. It just does not suit the purpose :0)

10-01-2017, 01:26 AM - 6 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I just bought a second K-1 because I care about still photography.

One will be set up for landscapes, events and macro with a RRS L bracket and fine tuned for the Holy Trinity, DFA100WR and DA*300, the other will be set up for walk around, street and portraiture with battery grip and optimised for the 35 Art, DA*55, FA*85 and the Three Amigos.

One day, maybe, I'll give a rat's arse about video. There must be about five people on this board who do, but my they make a lot of noise
10-01-2017, 01:45 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Well I just bought a second K-1 because I care about still photography.

One will be set up for landscapes, events and macro with a RRS L bracket and fine tuned for the Holy Trinity, DFA100WR and DA*300, the other will be set up for walk around, street and portraiture with battery grip and optimised for the 35 Art, DA*55, FA*85 and the Three Amigos.

One day, maybe, I'll give a rat's arse about video. There must be about five people on this board who do, but my they make a lot of noise

Yeah...video is noisy...perhaps it's got sound, but I really couldn't say, 'cos if I wanted video, I'd buy a video thingy.
10-01-2017, 02:04 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Well, I'm completely happy with my K-1. My personal opinion is that camera is primarily about making photos. (I even have something like antipathy towards video functions in cameras...) Should I be taken with video recording, why not to buy a specialized video recorder? It's kind of philosophy question. I prefer specialization (and perfection) against universalism/all-purpose attitude with plenty of drawbacks and compromises.
I agree ...Maybe there's even a marketing opportunity to sell the next k-1 as just a supreme stills camera, thus removing the criticisms about its video. The customer would understand what he/she was buying. Maybe even downgrading video and further enhancing the AF and stills capacity. Then produce a k-? something for video users, if sufficient interest exists in the Pentax world.
10-01-2017, 12:27 PM   #11

Original Poster
I always respected and liked (and kind of still do) that PENTAX focus mainly on photography. I was (kind of still am) sad because I had to part ways with my beloved one K-1.

I was thinking and still trying to figure it out how to get the best of the two worlds ;p

Take a photograph > pack dslr > take out video recording thingy > repeat - tried it and it sucks big time for me ;p

Of course there are options... but not as good in stills as PENTAX is

And that's exactly what makes me sad leaving it behind ;p

A quote by Oprah Winfrey: “You can have it all. Just not all at once.”

choices ;p
10-01-2017, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

We need a world wide Pentax owners convention...
ex-owners would be allowed
we could crowd source a few planes to circle the planet picking everyone up
for the secret destination...where could it be ?!
there could be workshops and swap tables
10-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, good luck. Hope you find the image and video quality you are looking for.
10-03-2017, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #14

My K-1 arrived yesterday, and I took it out today. I took shots that I had taken with the KP from the same positions, and the lighting was the same. I was prepared to be disappointed, but I am actually stunned. They are fantastic! Incredible detail, but there is also more 'presence' to them, almost as if you were there. Much of its operation is the same as on the KP, so I was using compensation, ISO, etc., with no problems at all. The little stop-down action with the on/off switch is great, too, just to give an idea of the final result. It was a hassle looking at them, though. I shot DNG, as I do with the KP, but I've not found the option to save a JPEG to the same card. I don't know if it's even possible, if not I will have to buy yet another card. Absolutely thrilled, no regrets at all about buying.
10-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One loser (tgchan), but one winner (someone got his K-1)

At least the OP knows what to buy if they jump into the still market, having a taste of the great stills the K-1 can deliver.