Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2017, 06:02 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 18
Eyepiece for Pentax K-1

It there is any good eyepiece for Pentax K1 so I can do manual focus with efficiency.

There is one called "AndoerŪ 1.08x-1.60x Zoom Eyecup Camera Photo Eye Cup Eyepiece Magnifier" which cost a lot cheaper than the Pentax's Magnifying Camera Eyepiece 1.2x which cost a lot more?!

Please advise if any of you got one like above?

Thanks

Paul


10-05-2017, 06:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,648
https://www.amazon.com/PENTAX-O-ME53-expand-o-me53-eyecup/dp/B000ILZGPA/ref=...=pentax+o-me53
10-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 773
Think that a replacement eye cup. The OP is after a magnifying eyepiece that shows increased detail in the optical viewfinder image. I have the Pentax magnifying eyepiece for an older film camera and it helped but was a bit clunky. I think I heard somewhere, older magnifying eyepieces fit the K-1 but that doesn't address the cost issue.
10-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,648
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Think that a replacement eye cup. The OP is after a magnifying eyepiece that shows increased detail in the optical viewfinder image. I have the Pentax magnifying eyepiece for an older film camera and it helped but was a bit clunky. I think I heard somewhere, older magnifying eyepieces fit the K-1 but that doesn't address the cost issue.
Look again. That is the 0-me53 which is the original Pentax magnifying eye piece (1.2x)

10-05-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Wales
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,995
First things first: double check you have best setting on your VF diopter adjust, and that the camera's focus confirm signals coincide with best focus by doing some tests.

I prefer the tenpa 1.36x, but they have become difficult to find. You could also search for the pentax magnifier* (straight) or refconverter (90°) M or A, these are 2x. I have the "M" but personally I have found that the restricted view in the VF (the "A" is better than the "M" for that) and the dimming of the VF have prompted me back to the tenpa.
*The "M" and "A" aren't listed in the pentax viewfinder attachments review section, only an "FB" and the early magnifier for the spotmatics etc that I would avoid, it's poor.
You could also look at a lcd loupe to give you that option, I use mine mainly when I am trying to take exactly focussed test pics, it does help significantly with LV.
The other possibility is to look at your focussing screen and consider a 3rd party one with eg split prism.
10-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 773
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Look again. That is the 0-me53 which is the original Pentax magnifying eye piece (1.2x)
Sorry about that - my mistake D1N0. You are quite correct that it provides a magnification.

---------- Post added 10-05-2017 at 02:50 PM ----------

Maybe a dumb question, but have you tried image magnification in live view? You can get up to X16 magnification using the rear adjustment wheel on the K-1. Just press the "OK" button and then dial in the magnification you want. The K-1 can also apply edge sharpening to the LCD image which makes focusing easier.
10-06-2017, 01:54 AM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 18
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Sorry about that - my mistake D1N0. You are quite correct that it provides a magnification.

---------- Post added 10-05-2017 at 02:50 PM ----------

Maybe a dumb question, but have you tried image magnification in live view? You can get up to X16 magnification using the rear adjustment wheel on the K-1. Just press the "OK" button and then dial in the magnification you want. The K-1 can also apply edge sharpening to the LCD image which makes focusing easier.
Thanks for your interesting comments - I'll look onto it... Did used the old Pentax Spotmatic with Prism viewing - love it - sadly it is gone!!

Yes I did use LiveView with x16 magnification on screen (using arrow keys to select specify area) - brilliant but it would be more helpful if eye piece could be helpful ?!
10-06-2017, 09:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 773
QuoteOriginally posted by PJPycroft Quote
Thanks for your interesting comments - I'll look onto it... Did used the old Pentax Spotmatic with Prism viewing - love it - sadly it is gone!!

Yes I did use LiveView with x16 magnification on screen (using arrow keys to select specify area) - brilliant but it would be more helpful if eye piece could be helpful ?!
Understood. Don't overlook the focus sharpening feature (menu) which enhances sharp focused details in the enlarged image.

10-28-2017, 08:02 PM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arlington, MA
Posts: 151
The O-ME53 magnifier is sufficient to make manual focus of moderately fast lenses possible. But it's not enough for the fastest lenses. So I've just ordered a converted Canon S-type screen from focusingscreen.com for my K-1. I have too many "interesting" manual focus lenses to have a crippled screen in my camera. That will make things like the Pentax-A 50/1.2 and Komura 100/1.8 much more usable.
10-29-2017, 05:09 AM   #10
Forum Member
StanT's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 51
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Understood. Don't overlook the focus sharpening feature (menu) which enhances sharp focused details in the enlarged image.
Not sure what this is, does it increase the LCD display image sharpness on the camera?
10-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 217
QuoteOriginally posted by StanT Quote
Not sure what this is, does it increase the LCD display image sharpness on the camera?
I think he's referring to focus peaking. It's a colored "edge mask" that makes high contrast parts of the image shimmer in Live View to indicate areas that are in focus. You can select the color of the effect from a small palette.
10-29-2017, 11:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 773
QuoteOriginally posted by StanT Quote
Not sure what this is, does it increase the LCD display image sharpness on the camera?
Using the menu, go to Camera 1, then "Contrast Detection AF", and in that sub-menu "Focus Peaking" which can be turned on or off (ON for the feature).

What this does is places a high white along edges that are sharply focused (derived from a high-pass type function). It makes the LCD display appear somewhat sharper, but more importantly, it accentuates a well focused object by outlining it with a thin white highlight. This function only works for liveview and also applies to liveview magnified images so if an image is magnified to X16 and focus peaking is applied, it should make for fairly accurate focusing. Furthermore, it's a function of the sensor itself, so it doesn't depend on any autofocus estimation or have any AFerrors. The downside, of course, is that it won't work for the optical viewfinder and you have to use it with the LCD screen.

If I'm doing critical focusing, I use liveview, magnification, and FP (with manual focus). Sometimes, due to the depth of field of some lenses, and the character of some objects, you have to guesstimate since the FP will show those enhanced edges over some focus range of the lens. I usually rock the focus and find the two points where the peaking disappears, and then focus half-way between those points.

---------- Post added 10-29-2017 at 11:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
I think he's referring to focus peaking. It's a colored "edge mask" that makes high contrast parts of the image shimmer in Live View to indicate areas that are in focus. You can select the color of the effect from a small palette.
Hmmmm, I guess I never found that small palette. How is it accessed?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, cost, display, dslr, edges, eyepiece, eyepiece for pentax, focus, full frame, full-frame, function, image, k-1, k1, lcd, liveview, lot, magnification, pentax, pentax k-1
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY Eyepiece for most Cameras For Pennies (Sony A6000)rec on Pentax K5 Sliver-Surfer Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 3 10-30-2016 01:30 PM
Wanted - Acquired: Pentax K2 view finder eyepiece cover ripper2860 Sold Items 3 10-22-2016 08:00 AM
For Sale - Sold: *Pentax K3 II with Battery Grip, O-ME53 Eyepiece & 16GB Flu Card* Fat Albert Sold Items 2 05-14-2016 07:47 AM
Nikon eyepiece & Pentax 67 SQUARETIP Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 01-04-2016 03:50 AM
1.08-1.6x viewfinder eyepiece magnifier elementdtlop Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 6 12-20-2015 05:42 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:13 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top