Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-09-2017, 09:19 AM   #1

K-1 tilt screen strut popped out?

I thought this was discussed somewhere already but I couldn't find it... Feel free to just link that discussion if this is the case.

I had my K-1 on a light backpacking tripod on the top of a mountain and a big gust of wind blew it over. It survived without any ill effects aside from some minor scratches on the body and lens hood... and two of the the tilt-screen struts popped out of the back of the camera (still attached to the screen). Has anyone had experience with just popping them back in? Do I need to send it off to Precision for this? It seems like it should be easy to handle myself but wanted to see if there was some technique to it or if people thought it was really inadvisable to try... Thanks!

10-09-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems like I've heard that they just pop right back in.
10-09-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Found this:

K-1 swivel screen, one of the "legs" slipped out of the guide rail - PentaxForums.com

Haven't had this happen, so can't comment.
10-09-2017, 04:36 PM   #4

Original Poster
@clickclick that was the precise thread I was sure existed but could not for the life of me find! Thanks!

10-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fehknt Quote
@clickclick that was the precise thread I was sure existed but could not for the life of me find! Thanks!

welcome! It was easy. I bookmarked it at the time I read it, thinking if I ever had the misfortune of this happening, I'd like to be able to find it again.
10-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

They pop back in with a bit of a push. Not easily but not overly hard. I ripped the whole screen out of the back of the camera body when disassembling my broken K-1. I would send the camera with the lens for checking after such accident, it does not take too much force to misalign the lens mount in relation to image sensor.

BTW, the tilt screen is able to withstand huge abuse without legs slipping out of the guide rails:

That skeleton construction weighted about 17kg in total and it was hanging from the tilt screen supported by nothing else. So it takes a formidable force to make those joints fail.
10-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
That skeleton construction weighted about 17kg in total and it was hanging from the tilt screen supported by nothing else
how strange - that happened to mine too!

10-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Maybe at certain angle it happens more easily. I had to really try to get the legs out of those rails. Tolerances may play major part in this, as the very same body was the one which had problems with freezing screen for which I used lubrication (successful fix!).
12-19-2017, 10:42 PM   #9

I thought this was discussed somewhere already but I couldn't find it... Feel free to just link that discussion if this is the case.

I had my K-1 on a light backpacking tripod on the top of a mountain and a big gust of wind blew it over. It survived without any ill effects aside from some minor scratches on the body and lens hood... and two of the the tilt-screen struts popped out of the back of the camera (still attached to the screen). Has anyone had experience with just popping them back in? Do I need to send it off to Precision for this? It seems like it should be easy to handle myself but wanted to see if there was some technique to it or if people thought it was really inadvisable to try... Thanks!
The exact same thing just happened to me... What did you end up doing? Thanks in advance
12-26-2017, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adamwv Quote
The exact same thing just happened to me... What did you end up doing? Thanks in advance
I followed the advice in this post: K-1 swivel screen, one of the "legs" slipped out of the guide rail - PentaxForums.com

It's really quite easy once you realize that the rubber cover pulls off easily to expose the screws underneath.
04-04-2019, 08:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I followed the advice in this post: K-1 swivel screen, one of the "legs" slipped out of the guide rail - PentaxForums.com

It's really quite easy once you realize that the rubber cover pulls off easily to expose the screws underneath.
Just a thanks for the link ... knocked my K-1 off a the shelf in a bird hide last week with the 150-450mm attached. Somehow everything survived intact apart from one of the legs popping out of the guide rail.

Followed the link and probably saved myself a few quid by following the posters instructions.