Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2017, 07:58 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K1 camera's no more reliable then my Nikon/Canon/Fuji cameras were...

I have two Pentax K1 cameras. One I use continually, the other is basically a backup.

I've got about 25,000 clicks on my everyday shooter K1. I bought it soon after it was released.

In the last month, a couple of problems have shown up in my everyday shooter K1 camera.

1. A month ago I was shooting at a flower garden in a light mist. When not shooting I kept my K1 and lens under my jacket. The K1 had all of its' rubber water seal caps firmly in place. I was shooting with an older vintage lens that was not weather resistant. For a few days after the shoot, I had some "electrical" issues with the camera. After a few days these issues all disappeared. I suppose some moisture might have entered the camera at the lens mount (no, I did not change lenses in the rain). It would appear that these electrical issues are now gone for good (I hope).

2. Today I noticed that my #1 SD card slot no longer pops (springs) the SD card out when I push on it to remove the SD card. I need to pry the SD card out with my fingernails. I just did some testing, and found that indeed, images do get written properly to the SD card in this defective slot. I do not intend to send my everyday shooter K1 in for repair to have this little card slot eject problem fixed. I can live with it and can certainly put up with the little extra effort needed to remove the SD card in slot #1 with my fingernails.

I've shot other camera brands over the years and have come to expect little defects to show up after a couple of years of regular shooting. However, I thought (and hoped) that the Pentax K1 would be more reliable than those other brands that I used. But that has just not been the case for me.

If you shoot a K1, have you had any little defects/issues/problems arise after extensive shooting?

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 10-14-2017 at 08:38 PM.
10-14-2017, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My mode dial kicked the bucket. But other than that, the camera has been really great in terms of functional reliability. And I beat the hell out of mine and use it a ton, with like 35000 clicks on the shutter since owning it at launch (I shoot pretty much every weekend).
10-14-2017, 08:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So far no issues on mine. I hope it stays that way.
10-14-2017, 08:32 PM   #4

But do you feel your K-1 is less reliable than the other brands you have used?

10-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
But do you feel your K-1 is less reliable than the other brands you have used?
No, I'm not saying it's any less reliable - rather I'm saying it's about the same reliability as the other brands I've used. I was hoping it would be this super reliable camera, but instead have found that it's pretty comparable to the other brands I've used.
10-14-2017, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I'm saying it's about the same reliability as the other brands I've used

Same here, my primary K1 body developed issues with the rear E-dial, as far as pentax bodies go this is usually the first thing to fail for me. I do a lot of manual exposure bracketing using unusual exposure ratios for blending in post so I can't rely on AEB to get the job done.

Having said that: my Leica M10 needs its rangefinder to be re-calibrated and the sensor cleaned. My Nikon D3s and D5 both need to have their grips re-glued and the mirror boxes and sensors cleaned. My Leica S2 and 645Z cameras have been fine so far.

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-14-2017 at 09:12 PM.
10-14-2017, 09:16 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Not unexpected that a wet lens (or similarly a wet flash) might produce camera problems.

Your K-1 SD card spring problem reminds me that the SD card slot on my netbook also lost it's 'spring' recently. But with a careful jiggle and poke, and a dust blow-out, it came back to life.

10-14-2017, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the price, you won't get "super reliable". Considering you believe it's about as reliable as other cameras, you got a good deal since the price point is below most comparable models.

Any product, will have "infant mortality" issues; some more than others (and many, none). More than average use will tend to reveal these. The number of issues will vary all over the map and some owners will get the bad end of the curve so a limited number of defects (especially small ones) is not unexpected, particularly with hard use, and that's what a warranty is designed to cover.

Personally, I haven't seen any issues with my K-1 so far, but I'm a light user and cradle my camera like a first born.

I would consider having the SD card spring serviced, depending on how much you change cards, and write off the "electrical issue" to good luck since it went away, and lesson learned about keeping the powder dry, but I wouldn't fault the K-1 with those minor issues just yet (consider your backup camera is 100% reliable at this point, assuming it hasn't developed any issues, and may not).

Last edited by Bob 256; 10-14-2017 at 09:27 PM.
10-14-2017, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I rarely remove the cards from my cameras, I typically just use USB to transfer images. At least I never have to worry which card came from what camera.
10-14-2017, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Two things:
- rugged and magnesium alloy body
- electronic parts and interfaces

Unless by user error, the body (what makes Pentax feel solid when handling) are never failing, and the reason for the magnesium alloy body is not to withstand user pressure but to maintain vibration free for the shutter essentially.
The electronics and interfaced however, are not more reliable than other brands and even cheaper cameras. i.e due to electronics failing, Pentax ruggedness is overrated. And typically, having more dials and tilt screen, just increases the chance of failure.

---------- Post added 15-10-17 at 08:20 ----------

Today I noticed that my #1 SD card slot no longer pops (springs) the SD card out when I push on it to remove the SD card.
Is really that spring defective? I've experienced the same thing with some SD being stuck because of being slightly wider than others, I removed the excess plastic material on the SD card edge , it worked fine then.

---------- Post added 15-10-17 at 08:22 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I rarely remove the cards from my cameras, I typically just use USB to transfer images. At least I never have to worry which card came from what camera.
Micro USB connector is actually more prone to fail over time than SD card contacts. Wireless transfer would be welcome.
10-15-2017, 12:05 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You did not indicate whether you tried a different SD card. It could be the SD card itself which is to blame. It may have developed a breakdown. I speak from experience. Some time back I had two SD cards which failed in the same manner as yours.

When you carefully inspect the contact side of a card you will see three very thin plastic dividing strips which stand proud of the contacts they divide. With one card one of those ridges had split away from card, not by much but enough to create a problem. I missed it at first and only after closer inspection did I notice. Cut it off and all will be well.

As for the other card, one of the little ridges had actually broken off and I found this piece at the bottom of the card slot. (Needed to shine a torch into it to see it) I found It interfered with the spring mechanism. I had a bit of a problem removing it. Took a chop stick and whittled it down to very thin and stuck a bit of blue tack on one end to pick up the offending piece from the bottom of the slot. Twas tricky !

After repairing both cards they now still work as they should two years down the track.
10-15-2017, 02:11 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Micro USB connector is actually more prone to fail over time than SD card contacts.
After using the USB connectors on multiple cameras over several years for professional work, I have never had that connector fail on any of them.

I have had USB-C and E-Sata connectors and cables fail on me though.
10-15-2017, 02:39 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've shot other camera brands over the years and have come to expect little defects to show up after a couple of years of regular shooting. However, I thought (and hoped) that the Pentax K1 would be more reliable than those other brands that I used. But that has just not been the case for me.

Er, and why would a Pentax body have been different to the big-brand bodies in that respect? Of course, it is only natural to be disappointed when such failures occur - I know I would sure be - but if Pentax bodies were every bit as reliable as the big-volume brands, despite what the regular xyz fanboy will not tire to tell you, that wouldn't be exactly bad news, would it?
10-15-2017, 02:47 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I ordered mine when it was released and got it a couple of weeks later. It's been fine -- no issues that I can tell (except that I need to clean the sensor). I have taken probably 40,000 photos with it.

That said, electronics do break if you use them enough and so eventually my K-1 will need some fixing (or replacement). But I'm still using my K3 which is three years older and is still doing fine. And my K-01 which is even older and seems to be doing fine.
10-15-2017, 04:33 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K10D is still going, apart from some repairs to the grip pins it is working just fine, I got that camera 11 years ago...................yeesh.