Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2017, 04:40 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
My K10D is still going, apart from some repairs to the grip pins it is working just fine, I got that camera 11 years ago...................yeesh.
yes - my K10D lasted me 8 years as my only DSLR (and I take quite a lot of photos) - then I gave it to one of my sons, and it's even survived that afaik

10-15-2017, 08:06 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given that a substantial portion of a modern camera is third-party OEM components purchased and assembled into a camera by the Brand owner, why should we be surprised if a ubiquitous component commonly fails on all brands? Why would Pentax, at its price point, source higher durability components such as SD card slots and e-dial assemblies than (higher priced) Canon and Nikon equivalents?

* Every digital Pentax I’ve bought new still works perfectly - K10D, K-01, K-1, KP. I sold my K-3, so I can’t say with certitude about that one. My only problem child is a second-hand K-S1 that reports an error code in the ‘shots remaining’ window on the LCD (the seller previously had had the card slot block replaced under warranty). I’m not surprised. That camera is a kludge with a very nice sensor inside.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-15-2017 at 08:16 AM.
10-15-2017, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

I've got 20,000 clicks on my K-1 shutter, it's been carried on hikes where it was bouncing with every step, it's been in carried Pelican cases and back packs, as have my K-3 and my wife's K-5. These cameras are all in perfect working condition. The K-5 is 5 years old, and has gone through everything my K-5, K-3 and K-1 have, it's been her only camera during that whole time. Again still in working condition.

Generalizations made from a sample of 1 tend to be misleading.
10-15-2017, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My K-1 had the 1st card slot act funny on me after I second shot for someone, and they gave me a card to use. Was it the card that caused the problem, or just a fluke? I don't know. I did find I could get the card to eject if I put pressure on the corner of the card vs the middle. I've been using it that way now with no issues. Almost second nature now to pop the card out that way. Something for you to try regardless. Other then that minor issue, it's working like a champ.

10-18-2017, 06:45 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
My K10D is still going, apart from some repairs to the grip pins it is working just fine, I got that camera 11 years ago...................yeesh.
X2. What a great camera my K10D is...pics at iso 100-400 are excellent.
10-19-2017, 11:57 AM   #21
Forum Member

My six months old K-1 with 5000 clicks has been in repairs for 4 weeks now. Canadian warranty repair shop was unable to fix it and shipped it to Japan. Stuck mirror, would not drop back. I had numerous film and digital Pentax cameras in a span of 34 years and none ever failed. Luckily, I have my K-3 as a backup. I might be forced to leave for European cruise on November 7 without my K-1. To say I am mad is a mild understatement.