Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2017, 04:29 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A lot of the replies have keyed on the word "portraits", and responded as though you were going to do a series of head-and-shoulders portraits. Not likely with a newborn. There are two things one generally wants from a portrait lens: the ability to frame the shot one wants with the camera a reasonable distance from the subject (normal conversational distance, not too close and not too far), and a fast aperture to blur the background and put the emphasis on the subject (and also to allow low-light shots, important for indoor shooting generally and with a newborn particularly). A zoom lens gives you the most versatility for framing, at the expense of the fast aperture. You can kind of get both with one of the pro zooms, but they are big and heavy and expensive. Get the 28-105 and optionally one of the FA50s you list (or the equivalent F version). It's a versatile starter kit, not too expensive (given that you have just bought a K-1), and will work well for quick and spontaneous photography, which is what I expect you'll be doing a lot of for a while.

10-17-2017, 05:17 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the K-1 and the D FA 28-105. The 28-105 is a good general purpose lens. It can be used for anything from moderate close-ups to landscapes and even astrophotography in a pinch. My only complaint with the lens is that the infinity stop is just a subtle detent, not a hard stop. With your usage that isn't likely to be a major concern. The D FA 100 macro is a good choice for fixed lens from what I hear, and I have a Tamron 90mm Macro which is excellent for portraits as well as macro subjects. The DA 50 is a great little lens for a crop camera but you will see some vignetting in the corners on the K-1; probably best to stick with an FA or D FA series.
10-17-2017, 05:41 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I Had a K-1, by pres589;

FA20 or Sigma 24mm Super-Wide II AF for wide duties.
40XS or FA43 for normal.
FA77 or DA70 (I might get the 70 first and add a second of these) or Sigma 85 EX for portraits.
D-FA28-105 for all around coverage.
10-17-2017, 07:25 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by josepheller Quote
Hi all, been reading and using the many resources on this site for some time now as my wife and I did our research and finally settled on a camera for her (feels more like I will be the one doing most of the work though ). We are both novices to serious photography and DSLR cameras, but decided to take the plunge as we both have an interest and with the arrival of our first child cell phone photos would no longer do. Anyhow, the camera is arriving tomorrow and we have no lenses for it. My first order of business is to get a good portrait lens and then build out the collection (the 24-70 and 70-200 probably next up, though I have read that the kit 28-105 is a really good all around lens). With that said I have narrowed the portrait lens search to the following options (as I currently rank them), but thought I'd check with the experts before settling on a specific one:

1. SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4: SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4 Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

2. SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.7: SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.7 Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

3. SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8: SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Let me know if you think these are good options or if there are other/better ones out there that I should be considering.

Other than that I am wide-open to hearing thoughts on other lenses we should consider (for portraits and other modes of photography), or philosophies on building a lens collection (primes v zoom, pentax v third party, D FA v DA/F/FA/etc). To give a bit of background and context on how the camera will be used: mostly portraits, family photos and events. But we do like to travel so street, city and some action photography will occur from time to time (hence my thinking that the 28-105 D FA lens may be a good and versatile all around option). I understand there's not a one size fits guide to building a lens collection, but I want to learn from the folks that have been there and done that to avoid any common pitfalls along the way

Thanks for your help. I look forward to learning from you all, and hopefully (with time) contributing to the community as well.
I'm all in on the PENTAX 77mm lens, It is a fantastic (limited) prime lens. The last thing you want to do, in the photography hobby, is to go cheap on the glass you buy. The pentax prime "limited" lenses are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Don't buy anything until you can buy GREAT GLASS... Bye-the-way, your new K-1 isn't too shabby either. Good move, but Don't get cheap glass, I'm just sayin'''. Rjm

10-17-2017, 07:26 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
My 43 takes my breath away. I'm feeling ambivalent about the 31.
Love my 43 too, and it's very sharp from wide open. My 31 is OK, but it doesn't move me like the 43 does. Wonder what variation there is in copies? People seem to love them both, but I'm always surprised when people don't like the 43.
10-17-2017, 07:53 AM   #36

Original Poster
Wow guys/gals, I am overwhelmed…thank you so much for the input, the sheer amount of responses was entirely unexpected! The various views and thoughts put forth above are exactly why I asked the question. In the interest of time (yours) and space I won’t respond to every poster (I did read every post carefully and thoughtfully, added links that I hadn’t already read to my cue, and added the suggested books to my reading list) but try to summarize as best I can as well as provide a bit more color about our particular situation and needs/desires for this camera.

First a bit on budget, price is always a consideration and an important one…however, as I have learned from numerous life experiences it is better to do it right the first time even if it means spending extra dollars up front (really, I think you can deduce that from the fact that we bought a K-1 as our first non-cellphone camera). We are both new to this world and so in no rush to go out and buy ALL the lenses right away, or have a “full” collection by year’s end. Rather we want to build a rough road map for ourselves of where we want to go as we learn and explore the possibilities with this camera and the various lens options.

I think to start, we want a good all-around versatile lens that isn’t burdensome to transport and will be a good one for us to cut our teeth on. On this front I think the majority of you all were in agreement that the 28-105 D FA would be a really good lens.

The other lens we need to get right away is for portraiture…and when I say that, I think baro-nite nailed this on the head: we aren’t looking to do shoulder’s and head type portraiture, but rather fun/themed shoots of our child and family. With that said, I think the consensus from you all seemed to be either the FA 77mm f/1.8 limited or the FA* 85mm f/1.4. Also saw the D FA 100mm as well as the DA*55mm mentioned a number of times. I have previously read a lot (all of it extremely positive) about the 77mm limited lens and so naturally I lean that way out of these 4 lenses. Given the above definition of portraiture, would the 77mm still be the best (I know this is subjective) choice for our needs here (out of the four) or should I give some added considerations to the others?

Again, thank you all so much for the help!! We truly appreciate it.
10-17-2017, 09:04 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by josepheller Quote
Given the above definition of portraiture, would the 77mm still be the best (I know this is subjective) choice for our needs here (out of the four) or should I give some added considerations to the others?
When my daughter was an infant, I spent hours with her and because I was in close proximity and the room was not well lit, my 50mm was often used. Yes, there's a bit of distortion if you get too close, but it was a practical, fast, and unobtrusive.

The 100mm is also a very good focal length and it has the advantages of being both weather resistant and having macro. But if money is not an issue, then I'd still recommend the 77mm limited as the best portrait lens for the K-1. The 100mm may be a bit too sharp whereas the rendering with the 77mm is universally recognized as special.

10-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
When my daughter was an infant, I spent hours with her and because I was in close proximity and the room was not well lit, my 50mm was often used. Yes, there's a bit of distortion if you get too close, but it was a practical, fast, and unobtrusive.

The 100mm is also a very good focal length and it has the advantages of being both weather resistant and having macro. But if money is not an issue, then I'd still recommend the 77mm limited as the best portrait lens for the K-1. The 100mm may be a bit too sharp whereas the rendering with the 77mm is universally recognized as special.
A way to save money is to look at the d fa 100 mm macro wr vs the d fa 100 mm macro

The optics are the same, check the review,

So if you can live without the wr and other " new " features, look for an experienced
d fa 100 mm macro

Put the " saved " money into the college fund
10-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Then your 50 and 35 aren't good enough

Seriously though, the FA43 is a polarising lens, and I remain ambivalent. I keep my copy only to complete my silver MIJ Three Amigo set. My Sigma Art 35/1.4 and DA*55 (and to a lesser extent my A50/1.2) get a lot more love.
Why do you prefer those other lenses to the 43?
10-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just throwing my 2c in- since you stated the portrait lens for fun family shoots, your newborn and whatnot I would steer you towards the DA*55 instead of the FA77. The 55 gives a slightly wider perspective for more environmental type shooting and silent autofocus in case you want to take a photo while the little one is napping and haven't yet mastered low light manual focusing. The 28-105 as your all-rounder and the 55 as your low light/portrait.

Also, keep in mind the 24-70 would be ideal as a one lens solution. 2.8 at 70mm is very nice for portraits. If I was going to get just one lens for the K-1 it would be that one. I didn't find it overly large or heavy on the K-1.
10-17-2017, 02:03 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Before I digress to answer the question below - good on you Joseph! The DFA28-105 and FA77 will be a killer combination.

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Why do you prefer those other lenses to the 43?
Short version: I can rely on them to do exactly what I want them to do, while I get inconsistent results with the FA43.

If you want more a detailed response, what follows are the random, unscientific thoughts of an amateur

Wide open, the Sigma is properly, pixel-peepingly sharp and can melt away backgrounds like nothing else I have used. If you like the "medium format look" this can do it without resorting a Brenizer technique. It focusses very close and is very well corrected for chromatic aberration, distortion and coma. Sure, it's big and heavy, but that reflects its build quality and impressive optics.

The DA*55 is not quite as sharp at f/1.4 as the Sigma, but wide open it's better than the FA43 at f/1.9 and still renders very nicely with gorgeous colours. It is weather sealed, a perfect size on the K-1 and it handles beautifully. Stopped down, its edge to edge resolving power is fantastic, and its lack of distortion makes it ideal for panorama stitches.

The FA43 is not as fast, and at wide apertures (when both the other lenses are extremely well behaved) it has a bit of old-fashioned glow (which I don't mind). It doesn't focus close enough for my liking, and there's something indefinable about the way it renders portraits which I just don't love. It has *lots* of coma in the edges, and it doesn't stitch well in my limited experience. Lastly, it's a bit too small for me - it feels dwarfed by the K-1 (but I quite like it on the KP).
10-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am going to share an idea that will probably be as popular as liver flavored ice cream; the family activity shots says "fast 50" to me. Get a DA50 1.8, shoot in full frame mode, and enjoy a light small prime that punches well over its weight. Pick a head-and-shoulders portrait lens when you have more experience and are ready to commit more money.
10-17-2017, 05:15 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree, the new 28-105mm probably is the most sensible choice as first lens for the K-1. From what I read it's much better than most "kit zoom" sold with other cameras/brands.
Good image quality and wide focal range are exactly what you need, if you already have a K-1 and have to do, at least initially, with one lens only.
The focals that will be used to photograph the baby are all there, and the few times the OP will feel the need for a longer focal... the sensor of the K-1 is good enough to allow for plenty of cropping
What leaves me cold is the max aperture. While good high-ISO performance allows to use slow consumer zooms with low levels of illumination, only large apertures would isolate the subject from the background.
The capability to blur the background would come very handy, if the subject is a little child.
If the OP decided to start his photographic journey with a first-class camera like the K-1, probably he could afford to start with two lenses, instead of just one.
The kind of choices originally submitted by the OP suggest that he's already well aware that a fast lens is the way to go for portraits.
Other users already explained that focals around 50mm are better used for ambient/group portraits on full frame.
Unfortunately the AF lenses that were suggested are quite expensive. A second hand 77mm sells for about the same price it was sold new, just some time ago. I'm not sure a newcomer should necessarily use an AF lens. Why not a nice portrait objective like the Samyang 85mm or the newer 135mm?
The former is also easily available second hand in pristine condition for less than 250 bucks. The latter is a hell of a lens, and would expand the range of available focals.

Cheers

Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 10-17-2017 at 05:42 PM.
10-17-2017, 05:53 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Short version: I can rely on them to do exactly what I want them to do, while I get inconsistent results with the FA43.
Is the inconsistency separate from what you said in your more detailed description? I didn't get any inconsistency there (unless you meant inconsistency across the frame?).
10-17-2017, 06:33 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since you are new to controlled photography, do stay in touch. We are here to help. As you have chosen to start at the top with a full-frame model, and one of very high caliber, a 50mm lens is not especially good for portrait use. It presents tighter framing when used on APS-C bodies, and with them is thus more suitable for this purpose. Nonetheless, having the FA 50mm f/1.4 is a fine lens for low-light general use and presents a "normal" view on the K-1, neither tele nor wide-angle, and at a reasonable cost.

I would say you are on target in spending less for the zoom lens, by getting the very fine DFA 28-105, which has average aperture capability, but more zoom range with very fine image quality for general use, then the FA 50mm f/1.4 for general "normal" framing and low-light, and then for portrait use the famed FA 77mm f/1.8. The money you saved by going for the less expensive zoom can go towards the FA 77mm Limited. It is amazingly small but of the highest quality, and you don't have to get right in someone's face to get a good portrait. It allows you to get good shots at some distance. Its fast f/1.8 aperture is great for low light, for getting faster shutter speeds, and for shooting to get the background de-focused, blurring it some to make your subject stand out from it. Image quality is marvelous. It yields fine results even when shooting wide open at f/1.8, which not all lenses having fast apertures can. Between these lenses, you have your needs in hand at a very high level.