Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2017, 03:21 PM   #1

New K-1 Owner. Help me build my lens collection:)

Hi all, been reading and using the many resources on this site for some time now as my wife and I did our research and finally settled on a camera for her (feels more like I will be the one doing most of the work though ). We are both novices to serious photography and DSLR cameras, but decided to take the plunge as we both have an interest and with the arrival of our first child cell phone photos would no longer do. Anyhow, the camera is arriving tomorrow and we have no lenses for it. My first order of business is to get a good portrait lens and then build out the collection (the 24-70 and 70-200 probably next up, though I have read that the kit 28-105 is a really good all around lens). With that said I have narrowed the portrait lens search to the following options (as I currently rank them), but thought I'd check with the experts before settling on a specific one:

1. SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4: SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4 Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

2. SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.7: SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.7 Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

3. SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8: SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Let me know if you think these are good options or if there are other/better ones out there that I should be considering.

Other than that I am wide-open to hearing thoughts on other lenses we should consider (for portraits and other modes of photography), or philosophies on building a lens collection (primes v zoom, pentax v third party, D FA v DA/F/FA/etc). To give a bit of background and context on how the camera will be used: mostly portraits, family photos and events. But we do like to travel so street, city and some action photography will occur from time to time (hence my thinking that the 28-105 D FA lens may be a good and versatile all around option). I understand there's not a one size fits guide to building a lens collection, but I want to learn from the folks that have been there and done that to avoid any common pitfalls along the way

Thanks for your help. I look forward to learning from you all, and hopefully (with time) contributing to the community as well.

10-16-2017, 03:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome josepheller!
All those lenses are very nice and relatively cheap.
I am not a portrait guy but you may want something longer for portraits (70mm - 85mm)?
10-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by josepheller Quote
Hi all, been reading and using the many resources on this site for some time now as my wife and I did our research and finally settled on a camera for her (feels more like I will be the one doing most of the work though ). We are both novices to serious photography and DSLR cameras, but decided to take the plunge as we both have an interest and with the arrival of our first child cell phone photos would no longer do. Anyhow, the camera is arriving tomorrow and we have no lenses for it. My first order of business is to get a good portrait lens and then build out the collection (the 24-70 and 70-200 probably next up, though I have read that the kit 28-105 is a really good all around lens). With that said I have narrowed the portrait lens search to the following options (as I currently rank them), but thought I'd check with the experts before settling on a specific one:

1. SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4: SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4 Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

2. SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.7: SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.7 Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

3. SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8: SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Let me know if you think these are good options or if there are other/better ones out there that I should be considering.

Other than that I am wide-open to hearing thoughts on other lenses we should consider (for portraits and other modes of photography), or philosophies on building a lens collection (primes v zoom, pentax v third party, D FA v DA/F/FA/etc). To give a bit of background and context on how the camera will be used: mostly portraits, family photos and events. But we do like to travel so street, city and some action photography will occur from time to time (hence my thinking that the 28-105 D FA lens may be a good and versatile all around option). I understand there's not a one size fits guide to building a lens collection, but I want to learn from the folks that have been there and done that to avoid any common pitfalls along the way

Thanks for your help. I look forward to learning from you all, and hopefully (with time) contributing to the community as well.
the DA 50 mm is not a Full Frame lens by design, whether it is usable full frame I don't know. it should work in " cropped mode "

it is a good lens

have you read this article yet?

Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

or this one?

Pentax K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

this might help as well

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/gear-guides/comprehensive-pentax-lens-guide.html

I am going to suggest you look for a D FA 100 mm macro ( not the latest and brightest WR version)

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

it is a Full Frame lens and could give you a nice telephoto lens with 1:1 macro capability

It could make a nice portrait lens for you

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-16-2017 at 04:03 PM.
10-16-2017, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When you say "collection" it makes me think you wonʻt be happy with a one lens solution. The PENTAX-D FA 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR is certainly a bargain at under $500, and will do a lot unless youʻre someone that wants more of the extremes and higher quality for prints and enlargements.

For FF, I really appreciate the 20-24mm wider angles, so the Pentax-D FA 24-70mm f/2.8ED SDM WR and PENTAX D FA* 70-200mm f/2.8 ED DC AW is better, but not worth 5x the cost of the 28-105mm if you donʻt need the 24-200mm range and better IQ.

I prefer primes, and if you can afford $800, the ideal portrait lens would be the Pentax SMCP-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited. The best value prime that could still work for portraits is the Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 (under $300), and a decent compromise at $500 between the two is one of the sharpest primes, the Pentax-D FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro.

10-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. You'll get a wide range of responses with that lens choice, but I think the short answer is that they're all good. The DA "plastic fantastic" is a good choice, for the money. If I had to pick between the FA F1.4 vs F1.7 I'd probably pick the F1.7.
10-16-2017, 04:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wouldn't really consider any of those three to be portrait lenses in the classic sense. If you are settled on getting the 24-70 and 70-200, the things to look for are in a portrait prime are:

wide maximum aperture for shallow depth of field if desired
slight softening of in focus areas when wide open
excellent central sharpness when stopped down just a little
pleasing rendering of out of focus areas
accurate skin tones and colours
a focal length which gives a nice perspective of facial features at a suitable camera-to-subject distance

On the last of these criteria, 50mm on full frame is a little too short unless you're planning on mainly full body, environmental or group portraiture. Focal lengths from 70-135mm are generally favoured. The best options in the Pentax ecosystem are the FA77/1.8 and the (legacy) FA*85/1.4

If you want a fast fifty (which I definitely recommend anyway), the DA*55 is superb. It offers silent AF and weather resistance as well as all of the first five of the criteria above, although it does produce some minor vignetting in some instances on full frame. The DA50/1.8 is pretty good by all accounts, but you lose weather sealing, quick shift manual focus and a dedicated hood, and the AF is screw drive. Of the two FA50 lenses, the f/1.7 has a reputation of sharpening up quicker at wider apertures - I used to have a FA50/1.4 and it wasn't particularly sharp until about f/4.0

As a final note - don't sweat it too much. If you buy quality lenses it is pretty easy to sell them on at minimal loss if they don't suit your needs. Just do it!
10-16-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

One of the 77 ltd ƒ1.8 or FA* 85 1.4 is in order if you can afford them for portraits.

I really didn't start getting comfortable tie my K-1 until I go the DFA 28-105 and DFA 100 Macro 2.8 WR, but then I already had the FA 50 1.7 which I use indoors and in extremely low light.

Other lenses I own are the DA*200 and DA* 60-250, both of which I enjoy immensely. I put one or the other in the bag to go with the DFA 28-105 and 100 macro. A lot of times that's my whole walk around kit, although my 40 XS and FAJ 18-35 come along as well, if I think I may have a chance to use them.

10-16-2017, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I would definitely recommend a focal length longer than 50mm for portraits. Like others have said, 70-135 mm is probably ideal. Do you think you will end up doing any macro photography, i.e. flowers, insects, any small objects? If so, you can get multi-functionality with a lens like the D FA 100 2.8 WR or the non WR version. I'm very happy with my WR version. Having said that, it is an advantage to have a larger maximum aperture for those nice out-of-focus backgrounds. The 28-105 would give you a very versatile lens that covers portrait focal lengths but lacks a large max aperture. If you bought the 70-200 it covers portrait focal lengths but I'd say it's too large and heavy for any significant portrait shooting. If I were in your position, I'd probably start with the 28-105 as that covers many types of shots and even if you fill out your lens collection later you may well wish to keep a small, light, walk-around lens. When you're hauling around baby supplies you don't really want large, heavy photo equipment. As you identify what you like and dislike about the 28-105 you could then add other more specialized lenses based upon your shooting experiences. Certainly some of the portrait length primes previously mentioned with large maximum apertures would be ideal for portraits. Good luck!
10-16-2017, 05:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dave2k Quote
If I were in your position, I'd probably start with the 28-105 as that covers many types of shots and even if you fill out your lens collection later you may well wish to keep a small, light, walk-around lens.
Yes, i'll second that one....its a great way to start.
10-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In my view for FF portrait work you cant beat the legendary FA* 85mm 1.4 FA* 85/1.4 [IF] | The K-Mount Page Despite being out of production for many years it still commands a high price secondhand..... for very good reason
10-16-2017, 05:41 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If you want a fast fifty (which I definitely recommend anyway), the DA*55 is superb.
+1. I have this and the DA 70 Ltd, the DA*55 win hands down for me. Not only its a brighter and sharper lens, but its colour rendering and bokeh is mouth watering stuff. I do wish the AF is faster and more accurate, especially in low light. The DA 70 Ltd is also very good and very affordable, its smaller and lighter but I find the larger DA*55 more fitting to hold on the K1.
10-16-2017, 06:06 PM   #12
Pentaxian

My recommendation :

UWA
------
DFA15-30
Irix 15
Samyang 14

Wide
------
K28/3.5
FA31ltd
K24/2.8 (good enough, though it can be better)
FA35/2

Normal
======
FA50/1.4

Short tele
========
FA77ltd

IMHO, for a portrait lens, the 50mm can do the job, more as an environmental portrait lens, the 77ltd would be the better for tighter shots.
10-16-2017, 06:26 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And just to keep in the back of your mind, but hard to advise any planning around as such, since it's not yet released, but a D FA* 85 is on the FF Pentax road map for lens releases. So, if you wanted to play the wait and see game a bit, the 28-105 might be a good start, and I think it sounds like a good fit for your general shooting scenario as you describe it.
10-16-2017, 07:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Have you look at FA43 ?
Not that I have it but I have been hearing so many good thing about this lens, and seroiusly interest to get one.

and another one is DA55* which some people already mention above.
10-16-2017, 08:45 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by josepheller Quote
I look forward to learning from you all, and hopefully (with time) contributing to the community as well.
Welcome to the forum. You really picked a winner in the K1. It is a pro class tank of a camera.

Now that you have committed to a pro camera, you have to pick a few pro class lenses for it. I own the K1 and the FA 31/43/77 along with the 28-105 among other lenses. If I had to bring one lens with me, it would be the 28-105. However, for portrait work the 77 is unmatched. Not knowing your budget, it is hard to recommend lenses as owning a collection of pro level lenses will exceed the cost of the K1. BTW, a 50 mm lens is not long enough for portrait work. You need the FA77 or the FA 85 for portraits. It took me many years to build my collection. So take your time and pick the best lenses you can afford at any given time. Build your collection gradually unless you have the budget to buy a bunch of lenses all at once. Good luck. Let us know what you picked and how you like it.