Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2017, 05:11 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What do you use the function dial for?

I've just got my K-1. i've tried ISO and +/- but I prefer to use the dedicated function buttons because the e-dails are much smoother. Frankly I won't be needing the other options so much I need a dial mode for it so I feel kind of stuck with two superfluous dials on my camera.

For me a bigger Top LCD would have been preferable though the viewfinder is much clearer than in the K-5 so I can easily see what I am doing. A quicker way to view the info panel on the Back lcd would also be welcome. I turn it off by default and it take five! button pushes to turn it on again.

10-17-2017, 06:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've used mine for WiFi mainly because the old fashioned way to do ISO is what I am used to and I simply forget I can use it for ISO.
10-17-2017, 06:46 AM   #3
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use mine for the crop function. I have all of the quintuplets and use them quite often. When switching from the 15/21 where you have to crop to the 35/40/70 where it’s not necessary, I like only having to spin the wheel. Even on a full frame lens like the DA300, I’ll sometimes put it on crop for the faster frame rate and/or smaller file if my subject doesn’t fill the full frame.
10-17-2017, 07:19 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Use mine for quickly turning on and off the viewfinder grid.

10-17-2017, 07:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It depends a bit what I'm doing and what other modes are engaged - in live view, I use it to zoom in and out to check focus etc, in manual, I usually use it for ISO - if I'm hand-holding, I use it for SR on/off. Otherwise I use it for cropping and changing grids - even HDR occasionally. I don'r use exposure compensation much as I'm usually in manual, and I don't use bracketing much for the same reason, and because the dynamic range is so good it's seldom necessary. I don't use Wi-Fi much, and I don't switch between CH and CL that way or any other. - I'd like some of the the KP's user modes, though
10-17-2017, 07:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Several of the mentioned ones, depending on situation: Currently set to "Grid" because I photographed landscapes and architecture, "Crop" when I use certain lenses or when shooting sports, basically never +/- and ISO as my fingers are wired to the dedicated buttons. I like to turn it into HDR rather than remembering where in the menu that is for my occasional use. I may get into BKT for landscapes, just haven't gotten used to it yet, but the implementation in conjunction with the +/- dedicated button is really good except for one glitch(*). The others are of rather little use to me so far, but having acquired a lens with built-in optical stabilization, SR may see some use when changing lenses.

(*) Starting from 2s delay on the tripod (SR automatically off by default), using BKT goes into 2s with bracketing correctly, but dialing back to 0 bracketing, it switches to non-delay (SR on) mode instead of back to 2s delay.
10-17-2017, 07:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

My third dial is usually set for bracketing. I sometimes change it to control ISO.

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
if I'm hand-holding, I use it for SR on/off
I set my RAW/Fx1 button to toggle SR. I always shoot in DNG and couldn't find a better use for that button.

10-17-2017, 07:58 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

P.S - I should actually use those dials more as I just love the sound of the click they make when I turn them
10-17-2017, 08:28 AM   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I rarely use the third wheel. I thought I would use it for ISO, but find it hard to turn it with my thumb only. Much easier to do that the old way. On the rare occasion when I want to toggle the SR, though, it's easier to use the wheel than any menu. I suppose crop mode could be a candidate, but then I prefer cropping in post anyway - and I rarely need the higher frame rate. User modes would be great (if there are good options to fill the modes with).

All in all I think I'd prefer a larger LCD panel instead, but just as the disused video switch on the K-3 doesn't bother me much, neither do the extra wheels.

They do make the K-1 just a bit more special
10-17-2017, 08:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
RAW/Fx1 button ... couldn't find a better use for that button.
An idea, if you shoot w/flash: Firmware suggestion for K-1, KP and future cameras with the "menu mode" dial. - PentaxForums.com.
10-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've never used it.
10-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #12
Pentaxian

When I'm digitising B&W negatives, I use it for EV compensation. The other two dials can then be left permanently set for shutter speed and aperture. It's easy to put a negative in the slide copier, the slide copier on the DA35 Macro (at that distance there is no vignetting worth caring about), and just rotate the knob left and right in Live View until I get the result that I want. The camera's on a tripod anyway, so I can do it with thumb and one finger more easily than using the EV button and one of the other dials.

I've also been using a tripod a lot with the Daguerreotype Achromat, and the same goes for that.
10-17-2017, 11:44 AM   #13

I have only played with the wheel to see how it works, I don't find it that useful. It would have been better if the small lcd could show the changes you are making for a short while then revert to its normal screen. As it is you have to be looking into the viewfinder to see some changes and the info screen for others and if your looking at the info screen you might as well do your changes there.
10-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #14
Pentaxian

One of the faults of K-1 is that you can't see on small top lcd what the function dial is changing for some of the functions, for example burst mode (normal, high, low), etc. Hoping to find this inplemented in some of the future firmware updates... I'm mostly using this dial for crop mode, i.e. I use it all the time for that I as I either use crop lenses or I want to have better composition with ff lens, to make subject fill the frame.
10-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use it for activating HDR modes (don't use them most of the time but being in HDR mode causes three bracketed photos to be taken which can be processed later for HDR) and quickly resetting ISO on the move.