Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2017, 08:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using the K1 histogram

I have searched for info on this as well as checked the manual but couldn't find the answer.

Now just to clarify I have never been one to use the LV on any of the cameras I have owned, nor have I ever paid much attention to the histogram.
I happened to be watching some YT vids made by a local landscape photographer using the Nikon D800 (my last camera). I was interested to note that the histogram changed as he altered the exposure or shutter speed (as you would expect) and the changes would be reflected in the LV screen ie the image was darker or lighter accordingly. This technique intrigued me and I thought why not try it.

So I had a look at the K1 histogram and I couldn't get it to emulate the D800, even in manual mode (I use AV mode as I like to make sure the aperture setting is optimised for the lens I am using, note I always shoot on a tripod so shutter speed is not so important).

So here are the questions I couldn't find answers for.

Can this be done on the K1 and if so can someone please enlighten me? (I have probably just missed some settings or something!)

Can the display of the histogram be enlarged/changed?

10-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
I have searched for info on this as well as checked the manual but couldn't find the answer.<br />
<br />
Now just to clarify I have never been one to use the LV on any of the cameras I have owned, nor have I ever paid much attention to the histogram.<br />
I happened to be watching some YT vids made by a local landscape photographer using the Nikon D800 (my last camera). I was interested to note that the histogram changed as he altered the exposure or shutter speed (as you would expect) and the changes would be reflected in the LV screen ie the image was darker or lighter accordingly. This technique intrigued me and I thought why not try it.<br />
<br />
So I had a look at the K1 histogram and I couldn't get it to emulate the D800, even in manual mode (I use AV mode as I like to make sure the aperture setting is optimised for the lens I am using, note I always shoot on a tripod so shutter speed is not so important). <br />
<br />
So here are the questions I couldn't find answers for.<br />
<br />
Can this be done on the K1 and if so can someone please enlighten me? (I have probably just missed some settings or something!)<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

G'Day mate,

To see the histogram in LV you need to turn it on. This is done by pressing the menu button once then scrolling using the rear e-dial to camera setting page number 5. the second option is 'Live View'. This will allow you to turn on/off the options that the K-1 has for LV. I don't think the size of the histogram can be changed from the relatively small one provided. In manual mode as I change the aperture the histogram and the display changes matching the exposure adjustments as you would expect. <br />
<br />
When in Av mode manual input changes to the aperture will be matched by a corresponding change to the shutter speed to maintain the exposure to that set on the camera eg 0ev, -1 ev etc. However, if I am in Av and change the exposure adjustment the LV display and histogram will change to match the new exposure.<br />
<br />
When I shoot using LV I use the histogram and blinkies to manage exposure but my preference is to also use the RGB histogram to ensure I'm not over exposing in a particular colour space. <br />
<br />
Tas

Last edited by Tas; 10-18-2017 at 02:59 AM.
10-17-2017, 10:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The histogram can be overlayed in LV mode. Histogram reflect actual exposure within the possible range of exposure compensation up to +-5ev.
10-18-2017, 12:56 AM   #4
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was interested to note that the histogram changed as he altered the exposure or shutter speed (as you would expect) and the changes would be reflected in the LV screen ie the image was darker or lighter accordingly.
This is exactly how it works in my K1. What lens are you using?

10-18-2017, 07:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am using the Irix 15mm which is MF, does that make a difference? I certainly couldn't get any reaction from the histogram no matter what I changed.
10-18-2017, 09:18 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am using the Irix 15mm which is MF, does that make a difference? I certainly couldn't get any reaction from the histogram no matter what I changed.
It is not the manual focus which is important but whether your lens is manual aperture. If I mount a manual aperture lens on the K1 in manual exposure mode in LV, press the green button to meter, I will get the histogram. Now if I move the camera around so the scene darkens or lightens the histogram will reflect this. But if I change the shutter speed the histogram does not change, and if I change the aperture, although the histogram does try to change, it reverts back to the original setting. it is all to do with the fact that the camera needs to know the aperture to correctly display the histogram and with a manual aperture lens it does not.

The only exception to this is the reading it takes during green button stop-down metering when it displays the correct histogram.

gosh....its all histogram questions today !
10-18-2017, 12:46 PM   #7
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep - as Peter says - try an A (in A mode) or later Pentax lens on it.

10-18-2017, 03:04 PM   #8
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
try an A (in A mode)
The Irix uses an electronic aperture control, there's no aperture ring for an A mode. On the page for the Irix 15mm here: Irix - The photographers dream - Irix 15 mm f/2.4 there's a menu in grey on the right, select 4 'Housing' and it will take you to that part of the page identifying this. The specs list is in part 8. I'd expect that as aperture is controlled by the camera that the A mode isn't relevant.
10-18-2017, 04:43 PM   #9
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
The Irix uses an electronic aperture control, there's no aperture ring for an A mode. On the page for the Irix 15mm here: Irix - The photographers dream - Irix 15 mm f/2.4 there's a menu in grey on the right, select 4 'Housing' and it will take you to that part of the page identifying this. The specs list is in part 8. I'd expect that as aperture is controlled by the camera that the A mode isn't relevant.
Yes I was figuring that it was like an F or later lens but MF. And also thought that the camera might not be reading the aperture correctly. That is why I suggested using a Pentax lens to test the camera.
10-18-2017, 05:11 PM   #10
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suggested using a Pentax lens to test the camera.
I think that suggestion's a good call. Before I posted my feedback above I put the DA70 on my K-1. I also checked using a Zeiss manual focus lens as it has an aperture ring with an A setting. When set to A all the exposure adjustment functionality is present. If it's not lens specific maybe it's a case of needing to clean the camera and lens mounts?
10-18-2017, 05:20 PM   #11
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And I have just checked my Samyang 8mm set on A. It works fine.
10-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #12
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And I have just checked my Samyang 8mm set on A. It works fine.
Well hopefully the OP comes back to let us know how they got on.
10-19-2017, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alternately, take a trial shot and then look at the histogram in the review presentation - it will always reflect the lens and camera settings. Not good for some shots and takes some time, but works good for static shots and overcomes the problems with manual aperture lenses.
10-21-2017, 11:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Been away for 3 days so sorry about the late replies. I haven't had a chance to try it again, although I did notice when changing the aperture in LM that the histogram didn't move. Seems rather odd to me!
10-22-2017, 06:32 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I did notice when changing the aperture in LM that the histogram didn't move. Seems rather odd to me!
That's correct, since it's just the setting for the exposure.
If you want the histogram to change, use EV correction.