Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2017, 12:46 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K1 MacBook Air Software

Hi

Having just purchased a K1 and joined this forum, I am looking for software to assist in downloading images, organising and editing.

So Best free ?
Best paid for ?

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks Dave

10-20-2017, 01:01 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say Lightroom would be the go-to solution if you're looking for something all-in-one.

You can of course use the software the camera came with (download it online & use this trick to install, but use S-SW140 instead), though it's not streamlined for workflow. The main advantage is that it can mirror any in-camera settings, so it's particularly good for editing files taken with pixel shift.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-20-2017, 04:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I use the included "Photos". I think its the best for organizing and has some advanced editing tools if you turn them on. If I really want to edit a photo for something special like a portrait or scene, then I use Lightroom. I think it depends on how serious you are about post-production. If yes, then probably just go straight to Lightroom. I find Bridge rather useless. I think its really intended to "bridge" a gap in photoshop workflow.
10-20-2017, 06:24 AM   #4

Not sure about the amount of cloud storage is sufficient but Adobe has released a new version of Lightroom CC with 1TB that works much more simply and combines phone tablet and computer. Apparently they pretty much always upload the original images to the cloud automatically so they are available right away to any device. There are now two Lightroom products. The new Lightroom CC which I just described and the older Lightroom Classic CC which works as it has been. It is a subscription service so you always have the most current app.

I think On1 has a competitive product

10-20-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Iirc the dxo app is currently free as special offer but I can't remember the discussion where the link was posted.

The easiest solution would be the Potos app that comes with MacOS. I prefer to use Capture One. It's powerful and easy to use. But it doesn't support pixelshift, afaik only LR, Raw Therpy and DCU do so.
10-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks

Hi, I decided to go with DCU5 that came with my camera, we'll see how we go. I may try out Lightroom CC in the future it seems very popular and I also agree the Photo app on Mac is quite good. On a side note, much faffing about to get disc version of DCU5 onto machine with no disc drive
Thank you all for your replies.
10-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #7

I use SilkyPix Developers Studio for many years (starting from DS3).
It has intuitive interface and has a lot of settings for developing.

P.S.
DCU uses Silkypix engine (i don't sure what engine version is included to DCU5), but it have luck of control on development process.

10-22-2017, 05:59 AM   #8

I am not sure I should have endorsed Lightroom. The brand new stuff is quite weird. My 20GB deal needs to be the 1TB deal to work. I bought the year long license deal through a special posted on this site at BH. I have about 10 months left. The Adobe web site told me to call when I tried using their upgrade for 25% offer for $14.95. I called and was told I should cancel my remaining 10 months. Yep just lose about $70 and then I would have no current subscription so I could not use the 25% and would have to pay $19.95.

So a 16 year loyal customer (Photoshop 6 from 2001) gets to pay the highest possible price for their new forced subscription. More than even new customers. This ON1 article spells out some of this but also leaves many questions. What Just Happened to Lightroom? – ON1, Inc. "There are many features lacking in the new Lightroom CC (HDR, pano, print to name a few)".

Matt K is a bit more optimistic sounding Lightroom CC Is Now Lightroom Classic (And a New Product is Born) - Matt K . Maybe the issue is that this really is intended to be a totally new product. So they kept the name for familiarity but do not mean to have previous customers benefit since they are trying to attract new cell phone customers. "That said, my guess is you probably know someone who is kind of interested in photography. And maybe they use their phone a lot. In that case, this may be great for them."

I asked them to email me a reasonable offer if they change their minds. I was expecting to get some credit for my remaining months and a price based on the $14.95 promo offer. Keep in mind that with my 1 year deal I can download the new Lightroom CC and use it but I only get 20GB storage. All full image files go there automatically. You can download them back to your machine but can't stop them going to the cloud. With a K1 I will use the 20GB in about 30 minutes. What you read about my upgrading is to try to get to the 1TB subscription so I can actually use what I have installed.

Will let you know if I hear anything. For now I uninstalled the non-classic version so I do not accidentally incur some over 20GB limit charge. By the way I have yet to find out what that might cost me.
10-22-2017, 06:22 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm still using Aperture, but you probably can't. My layers editor is Pixelmator.
10-22-2017, 05:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveD Quote
I am not sure I should have endorsed Lightroom
Me too, sort of. I own a non-subscription version (5.7.1) of Lightroom, but if I didn't, I wouldn't get a subscription license.