Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2017, 07:15 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I was haunted by it for about a millisecond, then I bought one.
I had the same experience with the silver KP. I’d bought the K-1 and sold the K-3, left APSc behind - then - WHOA! Look at that! PayNow.

10-26-2017, 06:27 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go for it while you have the "cash on hand". Otherwise, you will regret when the stock is gone. The color matches perfectly with the FA* 85mm.
10-27-2017, 10:49 AM   #18
tax

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Here is an interesting dilemma I am having. I do not need a silver K-1 but I find myself drawn back to it again and again. Are others similarly haunted? I loved the look of my silver MX which i used for 25 years. That may be part of my desire but I have also loved the K-1. Maybe it is so special it might be something worth keeping in this silver form for a long time. Anyway, I am interested in learning whether others are similarly tempted and torn. I cannot really afford it but I do have the cash at hand. The Adorama listing on Amazon says they still have 15!
If you want to create a thief magnet, display item or attract an unnecessary attention, go for it. Otherwise inconspicuous black camera is a perfect companion in all your travels and street photo shooting. Cameras with excessive silver accents look too pretentious, and people who carry them around look too amateurish in my humble opinion.
10-27-2017, 01:49 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tax Quote
Cameras with excessive silver accents look too pretentious, and people who carry them around look too amateurish in my humble opinion.
Pretentious amateur? I resemble that remark

When I shot a recent event I was asked if my silver K-1 was a film camera, so unless the potential thief is a hipster I'm probably safe...

10-27-2017, 07:00 PM   #20
tax

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Pretentious amateur? I resemble that remark

When I shot a recent event I was asked if my silver K-1 was a film camera, so unless the potential thief is a hipster I'm probably safe...
Then the question remains. Whether a remark on your silver K-1 from a random third party is actually worth all its extra cost?
10-27-2017, 07:50 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Then the question remains. Whether a remark on your silver K-1 from a random third party is actually worth all its extra cost?
What other people think (including you ) is wholly irrelevant. I only mentioned it as a light-hearted response to your comment about thieves.

I wanted a second K-1. I wanted it with a grip. I can customise the two bodies differently and know at a glance which one is which. I *like* the silver finish.

It cost less than my first K-1.

So yes, it was totally worth it.
10-27-2017, 08:44 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want to create a thief magnet, display item or attract an unnecessary attention, go for it. Otherwise inconspicuous black camera is a perfect companion in all your travels and street photo shooting. Cameras with excessive silver accents look too pretentious, and people who carry them around look too amateurish in my humble opinion.
When I was young 35mm SLR’s were silver. Other than in the hands of a few working pros, a black 35mm SLR was a sign of a poseur. .

10-27-2017, 09:39 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cameras with excessive silver accents look too pretentious, and people who carry them around look too amateurish in my humble opinion.
This is EXACTLY why I bought the silver K-1. It precisely fits the look I aim for.

Excellent analysis.
10-27-2017, 10:00 PM   #24
tax

What other people think (including you ) is wholly irrelevant. I only mentioned it as a light-hearted response to your comment about thieves.

I wanted a second K-1. I wanted it with a grip. I can customise the two bodies differently and know at a glance which one is which. I *like* the silver finish.

It cost less than my first K-1.

So yes, it was totally worth it.
Mind if I ask you, why do you need two Pentax K-1 cameras?

---------- Post added 10-27-17 at 10:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
When I was young 35mm SLR’s were silver. Other than in the hands of a few working pros, a black 35mm SLR was a sign of a poseur. .
Back then silver vs black camera finish was related to the technology of cameras top and bottom plates. Aluminum or magnesium cast plates got silver colored chrome plating. Brass stamped plates more often got painted in a flat black. Aluminum or magnesium so called invest-casting costed less than brass stamping. But aluminum or magnesium casting was more brittle than brass stamping. Which might explain why pros were choosing cameras with stamped prism housings and bottom plates as more tolerable to sudden falls and blows occurring during the field work. Worn out chrome plating on aluminum / magnesium cast camera parts looked ugly and required either replacement of a part or the entire camera. Black paint on brass stamped camera parts was rubbing off in a more graceful way giving that seasonal pro look to the camera. I've never heard that someone called a poser a guy who could afford to buy a pro grade 35mm black SLR camera.
10-27-2017, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For a start, I used the word wanted, not needed.

Anyway, I occasionally shoot events, sometimes commercially. For live music coverage especially, where the action is fast and it's usually all over after the third song of the set, I find it much better to use two bodies rather than have to switch lenses on the fly too often. It's nice to have both bodies with similar control layouts, and as my lenses are now mainly full frame, a second K-1 just made sense.
10-28-2017, 12:05 AM   #26
tax

For a start, I used the word wanted, not needed.

Anyway, I occasionally shoot events, sometimes commercially. For live music coverage especially, where the action is fast and it's usually all over after the third song of the set, I find it much better to use two bodies rather than have to switch lenses on the fly too often. It's nice to have both bodies with similar control layouts, and as my lenses are now mainly full frame, a second K-1 just made sense.
This makes sense then. Sorry for an off topic question, but have you experienced any problems with K-1 auto focus when you were shooting fast actions like in your case?
It is easier to question a need than a want :-)
10-28-2017, 06:50 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

---------- Post added 10-27-17 at 10:48 PM ----------

Back then silver vs black camera finish was related to the technology of cameras top and bottom plates. Aluminum or magnesium cast plates got silver colored chrome plating. Brass stamped plates more often got painted in a flat black. Aluminum or magnesium so called invest-casting costed less than brass stamping. But aluminum or magnesium casting was more brittle than brass stamping. Which might explain why pros were choosing cameras with stamped prism housings and bottom plates as more tolerable to sudden falls and blows occurring during the field work. Worn out chrome plating on aluminum / magnesium cast camera parts looked ugly and required either replacement of a part or the entire camera. Black paint on brass stamped camera parts was rubbing off in a more graceful way giving that seasonal pro look to the camera. I've never heard that someone called a poser a guy who could afford to buy a pro grade 35mm black SLR camera.
DUDE. I was there. Rich people buy expensive toys.

In the late 60s and early 70s my schoolmates’ fathers bought cool black cameras like Canon F1 and black Nikon F’s to take their vacation snaps. And pros often used cameras like the one I have

Die-cast, chromium anodized aluminum alloy, whether silver or black colored, is more durable - and expensive - than stamped brass

LX plates are aluminum alloy anodized zinc-chromium black, AND then top-coated with glossy black paint so the scratches don’t show.

So I guess I’m a poseur now because I have a silver pro grade film camera and a black one. .
Attached Images

Last edited by monochrome; 10-28-2017 at 08:47 AM.
10-28-2017, 10:17 AM   #28
tax

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
DUDE. I was there. Rich people buy expensive toys.

In the late 60s and early 70s my schoolmates’ fathers bought cool black cameras like Canon F1 and black Nikon F’s to take their vacation snaps. And pros often used cameras like the one I have

Die-cast, chromium anodized aluminum alloy, whether silver or black colored, is more durable - and expensive - than stamped brass

LX plates are aluminum alloy anodized zinc-chromium black, AND then top-coated with glossy black paint so the scratches don’t show.

So I guess I’m a poseur now because I have a silver pro grade film camera and a black one. .
Cool! Which one of these cameras has an exposure down to 1/2000 sec? I remember, there were at least two competing types of shutters for 35mm SLR cameras. Focal plane horizontal curtain based shutter that on average was capable 1/1000 sec exposure, and focal plane vertical metal leaf or blade based shutter that was capable 1/2000 sec for regular and 1/4000 sec exposure time for pro grade models. Which ones are your cameras?
10-28-2017, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Focal plane horizontal curtain based shutter that on average was capable 1/1000 sec exposure, and focal plane vertical metal leaf or blade based shutter that was capable 1/2000 sec for regular and 1/4000 sec exposure time for pro grade models.
My Nikon F3HP has a horizontal curtain shutter that reaches 1/2000" but only flash syncs to 1/80". Although having a vertical guillotine shutter does reach faster shutter speeds up to 1/8000" (Nikon F6 and many modern DSLRs), the key advantage was the faster flash sync up to 1/250".

For many wedding photographers that wanted even faster flash sync for outdoor fill flash, using leaf shutter lenses (up to 1/1600" flash sync) is the way to go.

If you want a silver colored flash unit, and become the center of attention, I can highly recommend using flash bulbs and this classic:

Last edited by Alex645; 03-01-2018 at 12:07 PM.
10-28-2017, 12:55 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool! Which one of these cameras has an exposure down to 1/2000 sec? I remember, there were at least two competing types of shutters for 35mm SLR cameras. Focal plane horizontal curtain based shutter that on average was capable 1/1000 sec exposure, and focal plane vertical metal leaf or blade based shutter that was capable 1/2000 sec for regular and 1/4000 sec exposure time for pro grade models. Which ones are your cameras?
Huh. You must be young. In 1971 horizontal cloth shutters capable of 1/1000 were common on professional grade cameras. Titanium 1/2000 shutters were unusual. IIRC a horizontal titanium electronic shutter was a new feature on the F3, of which F2 purists were skeptical. I also have a semi pro silver FE2 for the 1/4000 vertical shutter and 1/250 flash sync. But I’ll not trade Wikipedia research quotes with you. I’m just a guy who likes to use old film cameras for the fun of it.

You denigrated my friend for choosing a silver camera (and thus also me). In reply I merely implied that a black camera does not a pro make, nor a silver a Jersey tourist.

I’m out. * some clarification edits after original post

Last edited by monochrome; 10-28-2017 at 02:27 PM.