Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2017, 08:01 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Picked up my K-1 today

Picked up my K-1 at the post office this afternoon. It feels good to have a Pentax in my hands again! My other digital SLR's were Nikons a D70 and a D300. There were no digital Pentax SLR's in ay of the camera stores I frequented when I lived in Kitchener/Waterloo, which was one of the reasons for me purchasing Nikon's and the other reason I purchased the Nikons was because I like how they feel in my hand, so in some ways I was taking a risk purchasing the K-1 without first going to a store to find out how it felt in my hands. It is very similar to my D300 but better. The thumb grip is larger and the back dial to me is placed in the right location on the Nikon. A far better location than theD300. The D300 is around 3/8 of an inch or a CM wider, but the length is pretty close with the D300 being just a tad longer with the 18-300 Nikon zoom I have on it. (It is a very poor lens. If you know someone who is thinking about buying one, do them a favour and steer them away from it.) I watched videos where they talked about how loud the K-1 shutter is so I was a bit concerned. The K-1 has quieter shutter than my D300. Both the lenses I purchased (28-105 and 70-200) have very smooth zooms and very smooth focus rings.
Now the task at hand is to learn how to use the camera properly and take full advantage of the features.
The second task is to try to take pictures that are worthy of posting here. The bar has been set pretty high when it comes to the caliber of the pictures posted on the site here.

10-30-2017, 08:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats on your purchase.....
10-30-2017, 09:48 PM   #3
tax

Congrats on your new Pentax!
Could you please verify whether its grip is making quiet popping sound or completely silent when you lift your camera with your right hand and the heavier of your two lens is attached.
My K-1 makes this sound but I cannot recall whether it existed when I just got my camera.
Thank you in advance for helping to troubleshoot this issue.

Last edited by tax; 10-30-2017 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Added additional description
10-30-2017, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Tax if you are asking if I can pick up the camera and the 70-200 with just my right hand I won't. I think a person should have one hand on the camera and the other on the lens otherwise a lot of stress will be put on the lens mount. A person can pick up the camera and lens by the lens only, but not the other way around.

10-30-2017, 10:05 PM   #5
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GMounk Quote
Now the task at hand is to learn how to use the camera properly and take full advantage of the features.

Congratulations Glen, from all accounts you have got yourself one heck of a camera there. Any help or advice you may need with the K-1 will be happily given by the members here. Good luck, and post some pix when you are ready.
10-30-2017, 10:05 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forums!
10-30-2017, 10:30 PM   #7
tax

Tax if you are asking if I can pick up the camera and the 70-200 with just my right hand I won't. I think a person should have one hand on the camera and the other on the lens otherwise a lot of stress will be put on the lens mount. A person can pick up the camera and lens by the lens only, but not the other way around.
I am not sure, why lifting your camera just by its grip with a lens attached would produce any excessive stress on the lens mount. It it was true, then there won't be any hand straps for operating a DSLR camera by holding it just with the right hand like shown here 5 Comfortable Hand Straps for Your DSLR | Apartment Therapy

10-30-2017, 10:31 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!
I'm sure you will enjoy the K-1. The size, ergonomics and weight of the K-1 suit me perfectly. Its not too small, not too large - just right!

Very happy with the performance and I certainly don't think its got a noisy shutter - its seems fairly quiet to me and sounds quite nice too.
10-30-2017, 11:44 PM   #9
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OP,

G'Day and welcome to the forums. The K-1 is a good place to start with Pentax, a very capable and well specced camera. I use one and also have the 70-200 and can say they work very well together. I look forward to some images from you, I'm very fond of the telephoto landscape thread if this is a style of photography you do.

QuoteOriginally posted by tax Quote
I am not sure, why lifting your camera just by its grip with a lens attached would produce any excessive stress on the lens mount. It it was true, then there won't be any hand straps for operating a DSLR camera by holding it just with the right hand like shown here 5 Comfortable Hand Straps for Your DSLR | Apartment Therapy
Mate, I've been using a hand strap for over 5 years and whilst I walk around holding the K-1 by the handstrap when fitted with the 15-30 or some metal Zeiss lenses that aren't light, I'd not consider walking around with the Pentax 70-200 fitted whilst only holding it using the hand strap. And whilst I'm okay with occasionally using only the handstrap when holding the K-1 and 70-200 in a static situation, the potential when moving, for the mount being subject to load shock is my concern hence I prefer to avoid it.

When I have the 70-200 or the 150-450 fitted I carry the camera in my left hand by the lens tripod mount as this is less strain on the camera mount and I feel it is more secure. I also secure any sling straps to the lens mount when using these lenses too. The K-1 with these heavier lenses also results in a heavily front weighted load which is more fatiguing when only using the hand strap.

I see you have a K-1 and maybe you're okay with doing it differently but I've invested too much money to tempt fate when the lens literally has a carry handle.

Tas
10-30-2017, 11:58 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Congratulations! Enjoy your K-1, I consider it a wonderful camera, wihout doubt one of the best DSLR out there...
10-31-2017, 12:15 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice. Just remember to change custom function 26 to option 2
10-31-2017, 12:53 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tax Quote
I am not sure, why lifting your camera just by its grip with a lens attached would produce any excessive stress on the lens mount.
Basic physics.
Gmounk's comments are right on the money.
10-31-2017, 02:06 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Picked up my K-1 at the post office this afternoon
YAHOOOO!

I purchased (28-105 and 70-200
A great way to start....pick and choose what primes you need(if any?).
10-31-2017, 02:26 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I pick up my K-1 almost every day. Sometimes just to reinstall and format the memory card but often to go out shooting. I hope you get lots of enjoyment out of yours. Those two zooms you own, should be awesome. I can't think of a better combination.
10-31-2017, 05:02 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
YAHOOOO!

A great way to start....pick and choose what primes you need(if any?).
I don't have any primes at this point in time. I will have to figure out what would be useful. I do mostly railway photography which is why I bought the 70-200. I plan on taking the 28-105 to Holland when I go there yo visit friends. So I will leave the bigger zoom behind.
A nice wide angle prime might be the thing for me to consider because I do like taking scenic shots.