Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2017, 02:32 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-1 and Video

I have a K-1 since May 2016 and never really try Video
What is the set up you recommend.

Last edited by gerardbaron; 11-02-2017 at 03:59 PM.
11-02-2017, 02:57 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What kind of setup? Camera settings? Rigging accessories? Audio? Post processing? Lens?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-02-2017, 03:06 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
A different camera. Seriously, the K-1s video capabilities are pretty abysmal.
If you've never shot serious video before I disagree, it gets the job done.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-02-2017, 03:08 PM   #4

If you want to try, I recommend a super firm tripod. Definitely don't move the camera while recording video.

11-02-2017, 03:16 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What kind of setup? Camera settings? Rigging accessories? Audio? Post processing? Lens?
Camera setting
I have experience in HD with the Panasonic TM700
Thanks
11-02-2017, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I concur. It has worked fine for basic shooting. Looked nice to me.
11-02-2017, 04:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Adam, you are absolutely right! I'm exclusively using my K1's to record the videos for my YouTube channel.

K1 video images look good to me when setting the camera to "Full HD at 24P". Using high quality Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses helps too I'm sure.

Of course you need a pre-amp (like shown below) to boost the audio signal that gets fed into the K1. But, as most of you already know, most of the other full frame cameras out there (e.g. Canon, Nikon) also have weak/poor audio pre-amps.

I use a Rode "Broadcaster" mic plugged into my preamp which goes directly into the K1 for really nice sound quality.

Have you tried making handheld videos with your K1's shake reduction on? I have. Takes some getting used to, but after you get the hang of it it works pretty good. Of course Nikon and Canon full frame cameras do not even have in-body shake reduction (of course those shooters can always buy an expensive gimbal).

Also, just like stills, get yourself a good software for editing your videos (I use Adobe Premiere) and learn how to use it and your K1 videos will look much better than those produced right out of camera!

I haven't shot enough video with other systems to compare to the K1; but if you do the above with the audio, and know what you're doing with the video editing, the K1 (as Adam says) "Gets The Job Done".

Sure it's not 4K, but I don't need 4K. I can't image that many "amateur" videographers like me need either 4K or slow motion.

DC Shooter,
could you please provide us with some detail on why you feel the "K-1s video capabilities are pretty abysmal". What don't you like about it? What are the K1's shortcomings that cause it to not stack up against the video capabilities of Nikon and Canon full frame cameras?

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 12-23-2017 at 12:12 PM.
11-02-2017, 05:00 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by gerardbaron Quote
Camera setting
I have experience in HD with the Panasonic TM700
Thanks
And what will you be shooting?

Adam

11-02-2017, 06:37 PM   #9

Original Poster
And what will you be shooting?
I do travel presentation and birthday party for family and friend.
I would like to insert some 4-6 second of video between photos to brake the boring part of the presentation.
I am not a pro, I am retired and belong to a camera club here in Canada. Members do show off every month.
I shoot photos 75% Av and 25% manual.
I am only lost with the AF setup for Video.
AFC or AFS, point or 9 -12 points? Any others settings.
Thanks
11-02-2017, 06:45 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by gerardbaron Quote
I do travel presentation and birthday party for family and friend.
I would like to insert some 4-6 second of video between photos to brake the boring part of the presentation.
I am not a pro, I am retired and belong to a camera club here in Canada. Members do show off every month.
I shoot photos 75% Av and 25% manual.
I am only lost with the AF setup for Video.
AFC or AFS, point or 9 -12 points? Any others settings.
Thanks
On the K-1 there is no AF during video recording, except for on-demand AF when you press the AF button, which is slow and uses contrast detection on the whole scene.

So, for the best results, either pre-focus, use a wide DoF, or anticipate your subject's movement and focus manually.

Adam

11-02-2017, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
On the K-1 there is no AF during video recording, except for on-demand AF when you press the AF button, which is slow and uses contrast detection on the whole scene.

So, for the best results, either pre-focus, use a wide DoF, or anticipate your subject's movement and focus manually.
Thank you Adam for the tips.
11-02-2017, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
A different camera. Seriously, the K-1s video capabilities are pretty abysmal.
That's kidding me. In the hands of a proficient videographer, you couldn't tell if the video was recorded with a K1 or else.
11-03-2017, 12:21 AM   #13
CDW
Site Supporter

Actually, you can easily tell the difference between the video quality of the K1 vs a GH4/5 or any of the newer SONY models. The K1 video is better, in my opinion, than some of the earlier Canons, but it's no match for the current state of the art, regardless of videography skills. Actual resolution of 1080 footage out of the K1 doesn't come close to what 1080 can deliver. It's adequate for home movies, talking head YouTube presentations but in my opinion it's somewhere between standard definition and 720P in terms of actual resolution.
11-03-2017, 01:37 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
Actually, you can easily tell the difference between the video quality of the K1 vs a GH4/5 or any of the newer SONY models. The K1 video is better, in my opinion, than some of the earlier Canons, but it's no match for the current state of the art, regardless of videography skills. Actual resolution of 1080 footage out of the K1 doesn't come close to what 1080 can deliver. It's adequate for home movies, talking head YouTube presentations but in my opinion it's somewhere between standard definition and 720P in terms of actual resolution.
I didn't notice much difference between the HD footage I edited which was a mix of my K-1 and my buddy's GH5, CDW. The scenes were talking heads, though.
11-03-2017, 01:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I have shot a couple short videos for real estate and the quality is appalling, just barley usable for Youtube. Maybe I haven't got the settings all right although it is set to the highest quality. BTW I didn't buy the camera for video and would never have even used it unless asked.