Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2017, 12:20 PM   #1

GPS

I took a picture with the GPS turned on. It isn't very accurate. It was off by 100 to 200 feet. I bought a Solmeta GPS for my Nikon D300 and it was bang on. For example I took pictures on both sides of a street, and when I checked out the locations on the map with the satellite view, the locations were exact. They both showed the pictures were taken exactly where I was standing on the sidewalks. I liked this kind of accuracy because if anyone was to accuse me of trespassing in order to take a pictures for example, I could show them on Google maps exactly where I was standing. I cannot do that with the Pentax, because of the limited number of satellites it receives information from. That being said, I will still be able to find out roughly where a picture was taken, so at least when I go somewhere I can still say I took a shot at this location or that. I just wouldn't be able to say where I was standing.

11-03-2017, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you need to calibrate the GPS. Use the menu setting and in-camera instructions. Calibration is often needed for extra precision when you change location.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-03-2017, 12:53 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is also possible that the place you used the Pentax was getting reflected signals. I typically don't count on GPS for more accuracy than about 50m without assistance from WiFi or other sources when I'm not in locations with clear sky - buildings are the killer. But as Adam said it could be simply accuracy calibration.

GPS.gov: GPS Accuracy

Note the high accuracy then see the building reflection problem shown lower on the page. Personally I'm stunned they work as well as they do - but we are spoiled by wifi connected smartphones. I had forgotten how long it takes to get a full sky view with a standalone gps until I bought one for my father-in-law recently. The nikon may have some form of assisted gps via wifi (unknown to me) but a traditional gps only device can take minutes to get first lock on when turned on for the first time.
11-03-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I doubt calibration will help as that most probably only calibrates the magnetic compass. GPS precision depends on number of satellites received, so it's dependent on where you are. Try it again somewhere else and let i run for a while and precision will improve greatly.

11-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Yea, GPS synchonisation needs time. Depending on the used chip and direct line of sight conditions, visible satellites and last time of synchronisatiion up to five minutes are possible.
So just try with better conditions and check the results then.
I'm sure you will be satisfied

From my experience wit hthe K-1 you will get a precision of 3-30 feet (1-13m) depending on the mentioned conditions.
11-03-2017, 03:45 PM   #6

Original Poster
The camera did show it picked up satellite signals within a minute after I calibrated it. I will let the camera sit a while longer while turned on and see what happens. My other camera pulled signals from at least 11 satellites, which is why it is so accurate. I don't think the GPS in the Pentax cameras uses as many satellites.

---------- Post added 11-03-17 at 04:03 PM ----------

Angerdan I waited a bit longer before taking pictures, so the GPS was a lot more accurate. It appears to be quite accurate, only out a couple feet.
Thanks

Last edited by GMounk; 11-03-2017 at 05:34 PM.
11-03-2017, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I compared my K-1 GPS photo coordinates to the zoomed in position of Google Earth and it was spot-on (within a few feet). Could be something as mentioned that threw the signal off (reflections, etc.) but in general, my K-1 GPS coordinates are very close to what they should be. Try again, and see if allowing the GPS to settle improves the accuracy (especially if it was turned off for some time - I've gotten in the habit of leaving mine on except when I don't want the location to be recorded).

11-03-2017, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GMounk Quote
I took a picture with the GPS turned on. It isn't very accurate. It was off by 100 to 200 feet....
GPS require some time to display precise coordinates if it was turned off for some period of time. This time is depend on satellites' visibility. In downtown or forests it may require pretty much time.
Here is pretty simple clarification how GPS devices start: http://gpsinformation.net/main/almanac.txt

P.S.
GPS in any devices connected to internet reduces "cold" start by downloading Almanac data using intenet connection.
11-03-2017, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
The GPS is working fine. I didn't wait long enough before taking a picture. My bad.
11-04-2017, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The GPS is working fine. I didn't wait long enough before taking a picture. My bad.
Ah yes, that's another thing to watch out for.

It's a good idea to check the GPS indicator on the rear LCD panel if you are using it for location metadata. It will indicate bad signal conditions also (lack thereof).
11-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #11
Pentaxian

... if anyone was to accuse me of trespassing in order to take a pictures for example, I could show them on Google maps exactly where I was standing
That might prove that I was trespassing though
11-16-2017, 03:22 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
That might prove that I was trespassing though
It would be counter productive if it was to give the impression I was trespassing. That is where the accuracy part comes in. I had it turned on when I took a few train pictures the other day, and it was pretty accurate to within just a few feet. I don't have the GPS turned on all the time, but do plan on turning it on when I venture out of town or kayak to some of the more remote places.
11-26-2017, 08:37 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

It would be counter productive if it was to give the impression I was trespassing. That is where the accuracy part comes in. I had it turned on when I took a few train pictures the other day, and it was pretty accurate to within just a few feet. I don't have the GPS turned on all the time, but do plan on turning it on when I venture out of town or kayak to some of the more remote places.
this post demonstrates the accuracy of the add on GPS unit on my K 3

includes lat/long and elevation

Post your HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW pictures! - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-26-2017 at 08:43 AM.