Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2017, 07:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 paired with DA20-40 Ltd crop lens

Hello, I recently acquired a used k-1 while traveling to Japan (due to CBA, , and don't want to pass up on a good deal with an almost brand new with only 100 shutter count). Except that it does not come with the retail box or manual. I want to try to use my trusted DA 20-40 Ltd lens to see how it works. I seems to work quite well with a little bit vignetting (varies between focal length and aperture). After some AF fine adjustment, I begin to appreciate the k-1 (both the sensor and features) now more than my k-3.
Here are few sample shots (one of them is close to 40-50% crop from original) just to see the amount of details it retains. So far, I like it very much...

Here is the cropped jpeg image of the MayBach car show model

Here is one that I took as I was leaving the Tokyo Big Sight (International Exhibition Center)

11-06-2017, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I'm liking the wide shot of the IEC. What FL was this snapped at?

The center of the image is pretty good in terms of sharpness. If it holds up to the K-3's sensor then the K-1's pixel density is a bit lower so the image should still be pretty sharp on it. The edges will always be a bit softer though.
11-06-2017, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was playing with this lens on my K-1 the other day. I find at approximately 30mm, it's the best with minimal vignetting. At the other 2 ends, it's a lot more noticeable.
11-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
I'm liking the wide shot of the IEC. What FL was this snapped at?

The center of the image is pretty good in terms of sharpness. If it holds up to the K-3's sensor then the K-1's pixel density is a bit lower so the image should still be pretty sharp on it. The edges will always be a bit softer though.
The FL of that IEC is at 20mm, the widest. I use Silkypix DS Pro for RAW development, which helps a little with the vignetting.
I agree, the edges could be a little soft, but since I am not a 'true' landscape photog/artist, so a little bit of softness on the edge does not really bother me. Besides, I would probably not be using f5.6 aperture if that is what is I am after.

---------- Post added 11-06-2017 at 09:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
I was playing with this lens on my K-1 the other day. I find at approximately 30mm, it's the best with minimal vignetting. At the other 2 ends, it's a lot more noticeable.
Thanks for sharing your experience as well, I think the vignetting has more to do with aperture then focal length although both have some effect on it. I do find that less vignette around 25-30mm focal length. If I stop down to about f8 or f9 on an outdoor shot, the vignetting effect is less and the usable area exceed the area of APS-C, which is nice.