Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there a Bluetooth Shutter trigger for Pentax

Hey folks,
Holidays are coming up and I want to be in my family fotos. I have a handful of Infrared Triggers that range from decent to sucky, but they are all line of sight. Is there is shutter trigger that uses Radio/Bluetooth that would allow me to trigger the shutter without having to be point the remote to the camera?

I looked around for a BT trigger, but I didn't find anything relevant. Cost isn't a factor (lol, at least I don't think it is!) so I'm going to go check into the lighting/sound triggers that I've seen folks use to capture shots of lightening.

Regards,
Rodney
NOTE: I've edited my question based on comments some of you have made. Thanks for helping me clarify my question!

Last edited by lazarustx; 11-14-2017 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Question needed clarification
11-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried the Pentax/Ricoh Image Sync app ? Download it for free from the itunes store and connect using the K1 wifi settings
11-14-2017, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lazarustx Quote
Radio Triggers
Radio triggers are NOT line of sight. I suspect you mean infrared. If you want an actual radio trigger, the Cactus V5 or V6 flash triggers can be used to trigger the shutter from a remote. They work, no line of sight, up to perhaps 50 meters.
11-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Have you tried the Pentax/Ricoh Image Sync app ? Download it for free from the itunes store and connect using the K1 wifi settings
And you can preview the image on the connected device.

11-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

the lighting/sound triggers that I've seen folks use to capture shots of lightening.
I have the lightening / motion release but it does not have a remote shutter release. It is wired to the camera on my K3
11-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Radio triggers are NOT line of sight. I suspect you mean infrared. If you want an actual radio trigger, the Cactus V5 or V6 flash triggers can be used to trigger the shutter from a remote. They work, no line of sight, up to perhaps 50 meters.
I use the Cactus V6II radio triggers to trigger my off camera flashguns, but how can they trigger the shutter remotely?
11-14-2017, 01:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Yes, thank you for the correction. I have a handful of Infrared triggers.

I'd like a radio trigger, although this is the first I've heard that the Flash trigger will result in me controlling the shutter. Guess I'll go have a look!

---------- Post added 11-14-2017 at 02:55 PM ----------

I've messed with it. Still isn't as nice as having a simple button to push. I've found the wifi access quirky at best.
Regards,
Rodney

11-14-2017, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the Cactus V6II radio triggers to trigger my off camera flashguns, but how can they trigger the shutter remotely?
The trigger comes with (or at least my v5s did) a short cable that plugs into the wired remote port of the camera and into a similar jack on the V5. When the V5 is triggered by another V5 (or V6, I do not have a V6II so cannot speak to that) it triggers the camera shutter by closing the wired remote just as a wired remote button would.
11-14-2017, 05:18 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the explanation. i didnt see any cables with the V6IIs I have, but it has the port on the side so I suppose it is possible. Does away with the "line of sight" problem.
11-14-2017, 05:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The cable is a little specialized. It has 2.5mm jack on one end and 3.5mm on the other. Here is a link to the Cactus website but the cable is available at most camera vendors. Cactus Shutter Cable SC-C1 for Canon 1000D - Cactus Store
11-14-2017, 05:28 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How much wire are you willing to put up with?

I have used a home-made (from readily available pieces) remote that plugs into the camera remote control with up to 30 feet of wire, and that could be readily extended to as far as you are willing to put up with. You hold it in your hand and push a button to take a picture. For most posed shots, you should be able to hide the wire in the picture.

If you want details, you can pm me.
11-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Come to think the cable did not come with mine either because there are different cables for Nikon, Canon etc. There was paperwork in my V5 box about how to order. Not sure I remember seeing that in the V6 box.

Regardless, it works and if you already have Cactus triggers then $13us is cheap for a wireless trigger.
11-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So is it my understanding that I'd need 2 V6II and a cable for at least the one attached to the camera? That's a pricey remote but I could use the flash triggers. I have some cheap $10 flash triggers that have been working, but this would justify the cost I suppose.
Regards,
Rodney
11-15-2017, 05:25 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So is it my understanding that I'd need 2 V6II and a cable for at least the one attached to the camera?
The Cactus V5 model is much cheaper usually about $75 for a pair. Then $13 for the cable. And yes, you need only one cable. Technically you could build the cable out of standard ones by cutting the ends and soldering but for $13 not sure the time is worth it and it will never look as good.

I do not have a V6II which does I believe does HSS. I have no current need of HSS so I am quite happy with my V5's and the one V6 I have to control my Cactus RF60 flash
11-18-2017, 05:42 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Triggertrap might be worth a look. I have one but haven't had time to test yet.

Last edited by Ian.morgan; 11-18-2017 at 07:11 AM.