Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2017, 10:55 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tax Quote
Just sent my K-1 to the Precision Camera to fix this white dots issue along with creaking / popping grip and a piece of lint in between the focusing screen and the prism to do items.
Will see how these things are going to be addressed.
Good luck! Hope they fix your camera in the first run)

11-21-2017, 01:53 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Just a note, this is what the white dot -issue looks like. This example is ISO3200, 30 seconds. 100% crop.

It might be that single whites here and there will not get fixed (sensor calibrated IF Precision does that...)
11-21-2017, 10:25 PM   #18
tax

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Just a note, this is what the white dot -issue looks like. This example is ISO3200, 30 seconds. 100% crop.

It might be that single whites here and there will not get fixed (sensor calibrated IF Precision does that...)
In my case it occurs at exposures 1/25 through 1/10 sec., much shorter than yours, and it is about three four white dots per raw image.
Like in this posted sample.

---------- Post added 11-21-17 at 11:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Good luck! Hope they fix your camera in the first run)
Are you suggesting that we are going send my K-1 back and forth until it gets either fixed or broken beyond repair?
Attached Images

11-22-2017, 12:49 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Can you take 30 second exposure at ISO3200 using a subject with lots of dark surfaces? It will show up instantly if there is an issue which needs to be solved with calibration. Do not use in-camera jpg files with NR features turned on as there was a special fix with some firmware last year that tried to filter out these dots (only for jpg files).

11-22-2017, 08:33 AM   #20
tax

Original Poster
Can you take 30 second exposure at ISO3200 using a subject with lots of dark surfaces? It will show up instantly if there is an issue which needs to be solved with calibration. Do not use in-camera jpg files with NR features turned on as there was a special fix with some firmware last year that tried to filter out these dots (only for jpg files).
Unfortunately, as of this moment my K-1 is enroute to Precision Camera for the warranty repair. I will perform suggested by you 30 sec. tests after I get it back.
12-04-2017, 09:52 PM   #21
tax

Original Poster
Precision Camera notified me today that my K-1's white dots issue was fixed and sent it back to me. What bothers me is that they did not replace my K-1's sensor but "fixed" it somehow. If anyone of you had similar issues with white dots in raw images, could you please tell me whether your K-1 sensor was fixed or replaced by Precision Camera.
12-04-2017, 11:09 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Good news! Report back if they in fact fixed it) I'll send mine in again later on as well, I want to get rid of the dots as well.
12-05-2017, 12:13 AM   #23
tax

Original Poster
Good news! Report back if they in fact fixed it) I'll send mine in again later on as well, I want to get rid of the dots as well.
Hello awscreo, As soon as I receive my camera I will will run long exposure tests on it and let you know.

12-10-2017, 12:30 AM   #24
tax

Original Poster
I just received my K-1 from Precision Camera. I did run some tests that previously produced white dot effects. This time I could not see any white dots in RAW images. They did not fix creaking grip though. So I had to use small JIS screwdriver to loosen two screws under the battery door. Finally, that annoying creak stopped. They did not clean a piece of lint stuck in between the focusing screen and the prism during the camera assembly. I can either live with it or remove it by myself later. I will run more sensor tests and post the results.
12-10-2017, 07:31 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I just received my K-1 from Precision Camera. I did run some tests that previously produced white dot effects. This time I could not see any white dots in RAW images. They did not fix creaking grip though. So I had to use small JIS screwdriver to loosen two screws under the battery door. Finally, that annoying creak stopped. They did not clean a piece of lint stuck in between the focusing screen and the prism during the camera assembly. I can either live with it or remove it by myself later. I will run more sensor tests and post the results.
Awesome news, hopefully they'll fix mine too next time I send it in. Good to know that they can calibrate (or replace) the sensor too.
12-10-2017, 09:20 AM   #26
Pentaxian

White dot units require sensor calibration. Hardware itself may be working properly.
12-11-2017, 09:45 PM   #27
tax

Original Poster
White dot units require sensor calibration. Hardware itself may be working properly.
I ran some more tests today at 30 sec. exposure and ISO ranging from 100 to 12800, picturing dark surfaces and shapes. I see no those bloody white dots anymore. So, conclusively my K-1 sensor was fixed by Precision Camera calibration. Hooray!!!
12-11-2017, 10:29 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I ran some more tests today at 30 sec. exposure and ISO ranging from 100 to 12800, picturing dark surfaces and shapes. I see no those bloody white dots anymore. So, conclusively my K-1 sensor was fixed by Precision Camera calibration. Hooray!!!
Is this with Long Exposure noise reduction on or off? If you have a some spare time, could you run a 2-3 min exposure with noise reduction off and see if there any dots? I'd be forever grateful
12-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #29

Would you be able to post your raw test images that you have so far? I would like to compare them to my tests. I had my K-1 calibrated by Precision last year for the white dot issue. I saw improvement over its initial performance, but lately I have been hearing things that are making me think it is still not on par with the best performing K-1's.

Is this with Long Exposure noise reduction on or off? If you have a some spare time, could you run a 2-3 min exposure with noise reduction off and see if there any dots? I'd be forever grateful
I would be interested to see longer test images as well.
12-22-2017, 09:17 PM   #30
tax

Original Poster
Unfortunately, white dots reappeared in raw images at the same shooting conditions as before. Apparently sensor calibration did not remedy this problem. I contacted Precision Camera and demanded from them to replace my K-1 sensor. Now my camera is enroute to their repair facility.