Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2017, 12:33 AM   #1
Pentaxian

P & X mode on the K-1.

So I reset my User 3 mode on the K-1 in prep for setting it up for something else, I noted upon the reset that its set on 'P' mode. Silly me but I never even noticed this mode before on the dial (lol, seriously). I flip between Av, TAv and M mainly (with the occasional Bulb shot). I then did the usual thing and spun the front and rear wheel dials to see what happened, and noted it if I change the aperture dial it toggles from saying P mode to Av Hyper, and then if I change the shutter dial it's Tv Hyper.
I checked the manual and understand that you can make the two dials do whatever you like ie they don't have to be fixed as Av and Tv. I'm just a little perplexed by this mode and its uses. Does anyone use it exclusively?

Onto Flash X-Sync Mode, once again I looked at the manual, default it's fixed at 1/200th but you can change this in the C menu, it appears somewhat like a crippled Av mode, you can't for example shoot HSS in this mode, so why is it here? Also, my EV comp is -3.0, and timer is on for 2 seconds, is that right or have I at some point fiddled with that and it's remembered it?
What would be the right scenario to use X mode in?

TIA!

Bruce

11-23-2017, 01:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I thought for sure I responded to you about what Program Mode was, when you posted this a week or so ago:

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
So I received my Gary Fong Diffuser in the mail a few days ago, had a little play with it, seems good. A little card came with it, and indeed I did check the videos as suggested on the card for proper use. I wondered if anyone actually follows this advice, or is the advice a little outdated? For a start it says 'Program' mode... where or what does Program Mode mean on a Pentax? I'm guessing not Manual as that takes away a lot of the automation and ease in using a TTL flash? Is it referring to a mode such as TAv or Av?

Read more at: Gary Fong Diffuser/Flash Modes or does anyone actually do this? - PentaxForums.com
But apparently I didn't. Would have gotten you there quicker, I guess!

I use Program Mode a lot; in many cases I'm looking for the quickest shot, and don't have any particular aperture or shutter requirements.
11-23-2017, 01:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used hyper-program routinely on the K-3II, and the K-5 before that. It's really convenient to be able to rapidly move between Av and Tv.
11-23-2017, 01:33 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
understand that you can make the two dials do whatever you like ie they don't have to be fixed as Av and Tv.
Hi Bruce. The Pentax Hyper-Program mode is not new. It was introduced over 25 years ago with the Pentax Z1 camera. It is simply a flexible program mode. If you dont flip the wheels it will operate as Program mode. Flip the shutter speed wheel and it changes to Tv mode. Flip the aperture wheel and you instantly have Av mode. Press the green button and you are back in Program mode. Can be handy for general photography when the scenes you are capturing are changing quickly and you want to switch from one mode to another very quickly.

---------- Post added 11-23-17 at 08:55 AM ----------

Onto Flash X-Sync Mode, once again I looked at the manual, default it's fixed at 1/200th but you can change this in the C menu, it appears somewhat like a crippled Av mode, you can't for example shoot HSS in this mode, so why is it here?
X-Sync means the camera will always fire at either 1/180 or 1/200, depending what you have set as the max sync speed. This represents the fastest shutter speed that is compatible with a flash exposure ie. the flash will fire and illuminate the scene while the shutter is fully open. You would use this mode when operating a flash that does not comunicate with the camera body, such as a studio flash setup. If you are using a modern Pentax or Pentax compatible flash that can use P-TTL or HSS there is no need to use X-Sync

Last edited by pschlute; 11-23-2017 at 01:57 AM.
11-23-2017, 02:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I thought for sure I responded to you about what Program Mode was, when you posted this a week or so ago:

But apparently I didn't. Would have gotten you there quicker, I guess!

I use Program Mode a lot; in many cases I'm looking for the quickest shot, and don't have any particular aperture or shutter requirements.
Yes! I couldn't recall where I wrote recently about P or Program mode, and then I glanced down at my desk and saw that Fong piece of card and then I recalled it all lol, I even went back to look at the thread to see if anyone mentioned anything about the P mode but alas no.
I thought P mode was like another way of saying Manual mode on older cameras (and perhaps non Pentax, as I've only ever owned Pentax). I think I saw one pentax dial image on google images that had the P mode and then nothing but 'scenes' on the dial etc, hence I thought it was (nowadays) a redundant mode. How wrong could I be lol.

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Hi Bruce. The Pentax Hyper-Program mode is not new. It was introduced over 25 years ago with the Pentax Z1 camera. It is simply a flexible program mode. If you dont flip the wheels it will operate as Program mode. Flip the shutter speed wheel and it changes to Tv mode. Flip the aperture wheel and you instantly have Av mode. Press the green button and you are back in Program mode. Can be handy for general photography when the scenes you are capturing are changing quickly and you want to switch from one mode to another very quickly.

---------- Post added 11-23-17 at 08:55 AM ----------

X-Sync means the camera will always fire at either 1/180 or 1/200, depending what you have set as the max sync speed. This represents the fastest shutter speed that is compatible with a flash exposure ie. the flash will fire and illuminate the scene while the shutter is fully open. You would use this mode when operating a flash that does not comunicate with the camera body, such as a studio flash setup. If you are using a modern Pentax or Pentax compatible flash that can use P-TTL or HSS there is no need to use X-Sync
Good to know. Can any of you give a more detailed example of where Program Mode has been useful to you?

The last 'eureka!' moment I had recently was when I was shooting at our school, and it was a bright sunny day. At this time I hadn't used Av mode much, I was in TAv mode and had adjusted the aperture to what I wanted it to be, and the shutter speed needed to be very high to accommodate, so I adjusted that accordingly. We then all went inside the classroom where it was dingy (but cool from that oppressing heat!) and now I needed to adjust the shutter speed all the way down to accomodate the newly darken environment.
At the time I really wished there was a way that the ISO and Shutter Speed would adjust for me when changing from one environment to another, I knew Av mode gave me the control over the Aperture like I wanted but I didn't (at the time) realise I could put Av mode into play with an Auto ISO, and when using/changing the AUTO ISO Parameters I could specify what lowest shutter speed I could cope with. This was the mode I was really after on the day, go out doors, in bright conditions, shoot wide open and it automatically gives me ISO 100 and high shutter speeds, then I walk into a dim room, and it reduces shutter speed to 1/80 and automatically bumps the ISO up accordingly, fantastic!

EDIT: I've since learned I can seldom cope with altering many things at once, Av with Auto ISO is my main mode for shooting most things, especially in a hurry, even TAv mode where I had to adjust both shutter speed and aperture to get the right exposure took too long and I missed shots.
I don't ignore Manual mode but it's reserved for tripod use (landscaping or macro) where I typically have all the time in the world to get things looking just the way I want.

Looking at Program mode just now, and the way my brain has been trained, it kinda makes little sense. I scroll the aperture wheel, get the aperture I want, notice the shutter speed is too low, go to raise the shutter speed and now the aperture is reset lol...
And right now if I have aperture at 2.2 it gives me 1/40th of a sec shutter speed (ISO 800), so i lower aperture even more (to 1.6) and now the shutter speed has dropped even more to 1/30th (but the ISO is now 400). I dunno, it's just the way I've been working in other modes, lower apertures gains you shutter speeds, not reduces them further...
Seems weird mode to me.
11-23-2017, 02:24 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Basically, if you stay in P you get Tv or Av just by turning an e-dial. No need to change modes entirely = big time saver and potential for faster work in the field.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-23-2017, 02:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Basically, if you stay in P you get Tv or Av just by turning an e-dial. No need to change modes entirely = big time saver and potential for faster work in the field.
What about this for an example;

Yer snapping a pic of a bird in a tree, yer in AV mode cuz u want that mad DoF thing going on. You fire off a few shots content in thinking you got the shot you want. But now you notice the shutter speed is too low to capture the bird successfully as it flies away, so you spin that shutter dial to get that 1/1000th that you need in preparation for its take off (and to hell with the aperture!).

Something like this maybe?
11-23-2017, 02:42 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can any of you give a more detailed example of where Program Mode has been useful to you?
Say I am photographing horses in a field. i want to capture a portrait style shot of a horses head and want to isolate the distracting background. I spin the rear dial to give me a wide aperture of 2.8 and the camera (now in Hyper Av mode sets a faster shutter speed, perfect and I get my shot. With my eye still to the viewfinder I can see another horse cantering across my field of view. I want to capture it moving but want a slow shutter speed to give some motion blur. A quick spin of the front wheel and the camera is now in HyperTv mode. i set 1/30 second and the camera gives me a narrower aperture to maintain correct exposure and I get my shot. This has all been accomplished without having to change the mode dial and indeed my eye has never left the viewfinder.

Now I know that Tv and Av mode are both different ends of the same stick. I could have given myself the slower shutter speed by simply turning the rear Av dial instead, but if you use Auto ISO combined with Hyper P mode you are better off using the designated wheel to achieve the desired exposure parameter you want. This is because when using auto ISO as well the camera will change both aperture and ISO as you select a slow shutter speed.

---------- Post added 11-23-17 at 09:50 AM ----------

Av with Auto ISO is my main mode for shooting most things
Normal Av mode (but without auto ISO is my main mode too. Don't forget that you can place a limit on the auto ISO so it wont go too high but give you an exposure warning instead.

---------- Post added 11-23-17 at 09:54 AM ----------

Looking at Program mode just now, and the way my brain has been trained, it kinda makes little sense. I scroll the aperture wheel, get the aperture I want, notice the shutter speed is too low, go to raise the shutter speed and now the aperture is reset lol.
This is no different to using normal Av or normal Tv mode. You have an exposure triangle (shutter speed/aperture/ISO) and changing any one of those will affect another. The Hyper program mode only gives you the option to switch between those two modes quickly.

Last edited by pschlute; 11-23-2017 at 02:58 AM.
11-23-2017, 02:56 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yer snapping a pic of a bird in a tree, yer in AV mode cuz u want that mad DoF thing going on. You fire off a few shots content in thinking you got the shot you want. But now you notice the shutter speed is too low to capture the bird successfully as it flies away, so you spin that shutter dial to get that 1/1000th that you need in preparation for its take off (and to hell with the aperture!).
Exactly right, that would be a perfect use case.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-23-2017, 05:51 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I used P almost exclusively on the K5 and K3. It's so flexible to be able to flip to shutter or aperture priority with a dial. On the K1 though I mostly use TAv to make it easier to avoid shutter shake (especially with the DFA 28-105) by not shooting in 1/100 - 1/200 sec.
11-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

P user here also. Very versatile. Got used to it shooting the PZ-1P and never went back to Av Tv modes.

Last edited by Pentax Syntax; 11-23-2017 at 03:47 PM.
11-23-2017, 11:31 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looking at Program mode just now, and the way my brain has been trained, it kinda makes little sense. I scroll the aperture wheel, get the aperture I want, notice the shutter speed is too low, go to raise the shutter speed and now the aperture is reset lol...
And right now if I have aperture at 2.2 it gives me 1/40th of a sec shutter speed (ISO 800), so i lower aperture even more (to 1.6) and now the shutter speed has dropped even more to 1/30th (but the ISO is now 400). I dunno, it's just the way I've been working in other modes, lower apertures gains you shutter speeds, not reduces them further...
Seems weird mode to me.
It sounds like it's giving you lower shutter speeds than you want; look into setting the Program Line that is being used, as you can set it to prioritize DOF (either shallow or deep), MTF, etc. You can also set the Auto-ISO so that it will increase the ISO either fast or slow.

Last edited by leekil; 11-23-2017 at 11:38 PM.